Posted to alt.food.wine

Default A new grape to me.

I came across some Solena Pinot *Gris* (2010 Williamette) today. The
wine merchant agreed that it was just Pinot Grigio but said that the
vintner felt that "Pinot" was French and wanted to be consistent for
some reason. Well, we'll see what it is like.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 17 May 2012 17:51:12 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> I came across some Solena Pinot *Gris* (2010 Williamette) today. The
> wine merchant agreed that it was just Pinot Grigio but said that the
> vintner felt that "Pinot" was French and wanted to be consistent for
> some reason. Well, we'll see what it is like.

There are lots of Pinot Gris made in France, and elsewhere. Pinot
Grigio and Pinot Gris are the same grape, "Pinot Grigio" is the
Italian name for it and "Pinot Gris" is the French name. Both "Grigio"
and "Gris" mean "gray."

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/17/12 5:51 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> I came across some Solena Pinot *Gris* (2010 Williamette) today. The
> wine merchant agreed that it was just Pinot Grigio but said that the
> vintner felt that "Pinot" was French and wanted to be consistent for
> some reason. Well, we'll see what it is like.

Jim,
Pinot Gris is the French name for the grape known as Pinot Grigio in
Italy. In my experience, most Oregon wineries use the French name for
their wines.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" wrote .......

> Pinot Gris is the French name for the grape known as Pinot Grigio in
> Italy. In my experience, most Oregon wineries use the French name
> for their wines.

In NZ, Pinot Gris is the third most widely planted white variety.

In Australia, wines labelled Pinot Grigio are generally drier styles, while
P.Gris are a little sweeter.

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" wrote.........

Forgive me if I am mistaken Michael, but I thought that Grauburgunder
was for dry wine and Ruländer was for sweeter styles - No?

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 18, 2:17*am, "st.helier" > wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" *wrote .......
>

> > Pinot Gris is the French name for the grape known as Pinot Grigio in
> > Italy. *In my experience, most Oregon wineries use the French name
> > for their wines.

> In NZ, Pinot Gris is the third most widely planted white variety.
>
> In Australia, wines labelled Pinot Grigio are generally drier styles, while
> P.Gris are a little sweeter.
>
> st.helier

I did not realize this but thanks for the tip!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/18/2012 11:15 AM, Bi!! wrote:
> On May 18, 2:17 am, > wrote:
>> "Mark Lipton" wrote .......
>>

>>> Pinot Gris is the French name for the grape known as Pinot Grigio in
>>> Italy. In my experience, most Oregon wineries use the French name
>>> for their wines.

>> In NZ, Pinot Gris is the third most widely planted white variety.
>>
>> In Australia, wines labelled Pinot Grigio are generally drier styles, while
>> P.Gris are a little sweeter.
>>
>> st.helier

> I did not realize this but thanks for the tip!

I'll have to see how the bottle of Oregon (Williamette Valley) Pinot
Gris turns out.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/17/2012 5:51 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> I came across some Solena Pinot *Gris* (2010 Williamette) today. The
> wine merchant agreed that it was just Pinot Grigio but said that the
> vintner felt that "Pinot" was French and wanted to be consistent for
> some reason. Well, we'll see what it is like.

Let me add some notes on Solena 2011 Pinot Gris (Willamette Valley). As
others have suggested it was rather more sweet than I am accustomed to
with Pinot Grigio but quite pleasantly acid and aromatic. It is made by
Laurent Montalieu and Danielle Andrus Montalieu whose names suggest
French ancestry or origin and the grapes appears not to have been grown
by the proprietors but "selected from Oregon vineyards".

--
Jim Silverton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:29:33 PM UTC-7, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 5/17/12 5:51 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> > I came across some Solena Pinot *Gris* (2010 Williamette) today. The
> > wine merchant agreed that it was just Pinot Grigio but said that the
> > vintner felt that "Pinot" was French and wanted to be consistent for
> > some reason. Well, we'll see what it is like.

> Jim,
> Pinot Gris is the French name for the grape known as Pinot Grigio in
> Italy. In my experience, most Oregon wineries use the French name for
> their wines.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Correct, Oregon Pinot Gris. In fact, until the past year or so, Pinot Grigio was not allowed for the designation of that variety in Oregon. By what authority it was disallowed, and why, I don't know; perhaps simply by agreement within the state's wine industry.

Andy

Ode to a Grape Just Me[_2_] Wine 8 30-06-2009 03:47 PM
Grape Pie Kate Connally General Cooking 61 08-10-2008 04:30 PM
Grape Disease Identification Request - Grape Leaf Disease.jpg (0/1) Charles E Winemaking 8 30-05-2007 04:03 AM
'tis grape season Scott General Cooking 38 08-09-2004 03:57 AM
Grape question Joseph Toubes Winemaking 2 01-09-2004 04:09 PM