Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burgundy, Mosel, and Alsace

With bucatini with stinging nettles in a cream and mushroom sauce, the 2004 JM Brocard “Montmains” Chablis 1er. The usual white Burgundy jitters, but this is on the fresh side of maturity. Lemon curd, mineral, good balance of acidity and full fruit.On day 2 there’s a bit of a cheesy note, but nothing that detracts, nice wine. B+

With teriyaki salmon, storebought Korean pancakes, brussels sprouts, and a spicy Napa slaw (cabbage 2 ways!), a really terrible looking bottle of 1992 Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin. Part of a mixed lot where I was interested in other things, I maybe added $10-15 total to bid for 3 bottles of this. Really low expectations (and had a bottle of Alesia PN in reserve)- signs of major seepage, wine stained labels, though fills are good. But cork comes out whole and wine is actually better than I expected - about what you would think a decently stored village ‘92 would be like. Still some cherry fruit, a hint of volatility, mushrooms and a little ashtray. This is tired as one might expect and one glass nursed for 2 hours is plenty, rest in vinegar crock, but hey we’re talking under $5 for an experiment. C+

Glorious spring day, we decided to have a glass of wine on front porch before dinner. The 2000 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile” Riesling from 375 ml was alas suffering from premOx. My 750s have been fine, but the halves have all been at least advanced. C

Dinner was chicken wings in a Asian chile/citrus glaze, rice with nori, and broccoli. I opened the 2008 Willi Schaefer “Graacher Domprobst” Kabinett Riesling #2. Now THIS is Riesling. Impressively deep with snappy but integrated acidity, bright citrus and green apple fruit over a mineral core. Seriously good Kabinett. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 17, 3:52*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> With bucatini with stinging nettles in a cream and mushroom sauce, the 2004 JM Brocard “Montmains” Chablis 1er. The usual white Burgundy jitters, but this is on the fresh side of maturity. Lemon curd, mineral, good balance of acidity and full fruit.On day 2 there’s a bit of a cheesy note, but nothing that detracts, nice wine. B+
>
> With teriyaki salmon, storebought Korean pancakes, brussels sprouts, and a spicy Napa slaw (cabbage 2 ways!), a really terrible looking bottle of 1992 Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin. Part of a mixed lot where I was interested in other things, I maybe added $10-15 total to bid for 3 bottles of this. Really low expectations (and had a bottle of Alesia PN in reserve)- signs of major seepage, wine stained labels, though fills are good. But cork comes out whole and wine is actually better than I expected - about what you would think a decently stored village ‘92 would be like. Still some cherry fruit, a hint of volatility, mushrooms and a little ashtray. This is tired as one might expect *and one glass nursed for 2 hours is plenty, rest in vinegar crock, *but hey we’re talking under $5 for an experiment. C+
>
> Glorious spring day, we decided to have a glass of wine on front porch before dinner. The 2000 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile” Riesling from 375 ml was alas suffering from premOx. My 750s have been fine, but the halves have all been at least advanced. C
>
> Dinner was chicken wings in a Asian chile/citrus glaze, rice with nori, and broccoli. I opened the 2008 Willi Schaefer “Graacher Domprobst” Kabinett Riesling #2. Now THIS is Riesling. Impressively deep with snappy but *integrated acidity, bright citrus and green apple fruit over a mineral core. Seriously good Kabinett. A-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I bought a bunch of Schaefer a few years ago from the 2008 vintage as
the distributor that I had a relationship with was the Ohio outlet for
Schaefer at the time. Amazingly, it was a hard sell here in Ohio so I
had a lot to choose from. I think I'll start drinking
them...tonight!. Thanks for the notes.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/17/12 3:52 PM, DaleW wrote:

> With teriyaki salmon, storebought Korean pancakes, brussels sprouts,
> and a spicy Napa slaw (cabbage 2 ways!), a really terrible looking
> bottle of 1992 Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin. Part of a mixed lot where I
> was interested in other things, I maybe added $10-15 total to bid for
> 3 bottles of this. Really low expectations (and had a bottle of
> Alesia PN in reserve)- signs of major seepage, wine stained labels,
> though fills are good. But cork comes out whole and wine is actually
> better than I expected - about what you would think a decently stored
> village ‘92 would be like. Still some cherry fruit, a hint of
> volatility, mushrooms and a little ashtray. This is tired as one
> might expect and one glass nursed for 2 hours is plenty, rest in
> vinegar crock, but hey we’re talking under $5 for an experiment. C+

Ah, yes, those mixed lot "extras!" I opened one of those '93 de Merode
Cortons a week or two ago... mheh.

> Glorious spring day, we decided to have a glass of wine on front
> porch before dinner. The 2000 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile”
> Riesling from 375 ml was alas suffering from premOx. My 750s have
> been fine, but the halves have all been at least advanced. C

Bummer, in the extreme.

> Dinner was chicken wings in a Asian chile/citrus glaze, rice with
> nori, and broccoli. I opened the 2008 Willi Schaefer “Graacher
> Domprobst” Kabinett Riesling #2. Now THIS is Riesling. Impressively
> deep with snappy but integrated acidity, bright citrus and green
> apple fruit over a mineral core. Seriously good Kabinett. A-

I had some of this but didn't hang on to any. Well, I don't recall if
it was the #2 now, but it was the Graacher Domprobst Kab in any case.
Schaefer really did well in '08 IMO.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, May 18, 2012 11:20:09 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> On May 17, 3:52*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> > With bucatini with stinging nettles in a cream and mushroom sauce, the 2004 JM Brocard “Montmains” Chablis 1er. The usual white Burgundy jitters, but this is on the fresh side of maturity. Lemon curd, mineral, good balance of acidity and full fruit.On day 2 there’s a bit of a cheesy note, but nothing that detracts, nice wine. B+
> >
> > With teriyaki salmon, storebought Korean pancakes, brussels sprouts, and a spicy Napa slaw (cabbage 2 ways!), a really terrible looking bottle of 1992 Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin. Part of a mixed lot where I was interested in other things, I maybe added $10-15 total to bid for 3 bottles of this. Really low expectations (and had a bottle of Alesia PN in reserve)- signs of major seepage, wine stained labels, though fills are good. But cork comes out whole and wine is actually better than I expected - about what you would think a decently stored village ‘92 would be like. Still some cherry fruit, a hint of volatility, mushrooms and a little ashtray. This is tired as one might expect *and one glass nursed for 2 hours is plenty, rest in vinegar crock, *but hey we’re talking under $5 for an experiment. C+
> >
> > Glorious spring day, we decided to have a glass of wine on front porch before dinner. The 2000 Trimbach “Cuvee Frederic Emile” Riesling from 375 ml was alas suffering from premOx. My 750s have been fine, but the halves have all been at least advanced. C
> >
> > Dinner was chicken wings in a Asian chile/citrus glaze, rice with nori, and broccoli. I opened the 2008 Willi Schaefer “Graacher Domprobst” Kabinett Riesling #2. Now THIS is Riesling. Impressively deep with snappy but *integrated acidity, bright citrus and green apple fruit over a mineral core. Seriously good Kabinett. A-
> >
> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

> I bought a bunch of Schaefer a few years ago from the 2008 vintage as
> the distributor that I had a relationship with was the Ohio outlet for
> Schaefer at the time. Amazingly, it was a hard sell here in Ohio so I
> had a lot to choose from. I think I'll start drinking
> them...tonight!. Thanks for the notes.

I think the style of the vintage and the style of Willi Schaefer is a great match in 08, at least in lower pradikats. Look forward to notes
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, May 18, 2012 12:39:37 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 5/17/12 3:52 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
> Ah, yes, those mixed lot "extras!" I opened one of those '93 de Merode
> Cortons a week or two ago... mheh.

I thought the 93 Merode Corton was better than I expected, though weak for a GC from an excellent (IMO if not RovaniParker's) vintage. Happy at what we paid (I though you had posted a pretty positive note as well?)

> I had some of this but didn't hang on to any. Well, I don't recall if
> it was the #2 now, but it was the Graacher Domprobst Kab in any case.
> Schaefer really did well in '08 IMO.

Pretty sure only 1 Kabinett from each vineyard in 2008. I think he did 2 GD Spats and at least 2 GD Auslese. CT is showing multiples of everything,but think that is people who don't understand AP #s (especially all of the #9s listed, as that's bottling year).

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/18/12 4:15 PM, DaleW wrote:
> On Friday, May 18, 2012 12:39:37 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
>> On 5/17/12 3:52 PM, DaleW wrote:
>>
>> Ah, yes, those mixed lot "extras!" I opened one of those '93 de
>> Merode Cortons a week or two ago... mheh.
>>

> I thought the 93 Merode Corton was better than I expected, though
> weak for a GC from an excellent (IMO if not RovaniParker's) vintage.
> Happy at what we paid (I though you had posted a pretty positive note
> as well?)

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was a disappointment, just that it
was fairly "regular" for a GC from a good vintage (take that, RMP!).
But we knew what we were getting into, so it's not a shock in any sense.
I'm going to do a Burgundy/quail dinner some time soonish (picked up 8
frozen quail at WF in Chicago last weekend) and will open up a few other
bottles from that lot!

Mark Lipton

TN: Provence, Liguria, Alsace, Mosel, St Julien DaleW Wine 1 06-09-2016 02:38 PM
TN: Mosel, Marche, Clear Lake CA, and several from greater Burgundy DaleW Wine 2 06-10-2014 07:00 PM
TN: Alsace and Burgundy DaleW Wine 2 06-03-2012 08:22 PM
TN: 4 wines I liked (Burgundy inc 2 with Gamay, and Mosel) DaleW Wine 2 09-12-2010 02:40 AM
Alsace and Burgundy Bill S. Wine 3 07-09-2006 06:26 PM