Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2002 Flora Springs 25th Anniversary Napa Cabernet Sauvignon.

I bought a number of cases of Flora Springs wine during a tasting trip
to Napa a few years back. We were invited to dinner at the winery by
John Komes and he recounted a number of great stories about the early
days of the winery as he opened bottle after bottle of various
vintages including the just bottled 2002. I opened one of my last
remaining bottles that I bought during that trip last night to
accompany Allen Brothers Dry Aged NY Strip steaks. 2002 Flora Springs
Anniversary Cabernet Napa Valley-deep dark inky purple with aroma of
fresh crushed blackberries and a touch of vanilla. Smooth and supple
on the palate with an abundance of cassis, blackberry, blueberry and
cloves finishing with a bit of oaky vanilla. The wine has aged
beautifully and was delicious. "A". During that trip I bought 2002
Trilogy, Rutherford Reserve, Wild Boar and Holy Smoke as well as the
25th Anniversary and all have drank beautifully over the past few
years.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 15, 8:53*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I bought a number of cases of Flora Springs wine during a tasting trip
> to Napa a few years back. *We were invited to dinner at the winery by
> John Komes and he recounted a number of great stories about the early
> days of the winery as he opened bottle after bottle of various
> vintages including the just bottled 2002. *I opened one of my last
> remaining bottles that I bought during that trip last night to
> accompany Allen Brothers Dry Aged NY Strip steaks. *2002 Flora Springs
> Anniversary Cabernet Napa Valley-deep dark inky purple with aroma of
> fresh crushed blackberries and a touch of vanilla. *Smooth and supple
> on the palate with an abundance of cassis, blackberry, blueberry and
> cloves finishing with a bit of oaky vanilla. *The wine has aged
> beautifully and was delicious. "A". *During that trip I bought 2002
> Trilogy, Rutherford Reserve, Wild Boar and Holy Smoke as well as the
> 25th Anniversary and all have drank beautifully over the past few
> years.

This is one winery I will buy on most wine lists if they are
reasonable prices. The Trilogy and Wild Boar are always good for me.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 15, 12:42*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> On May 15, 8:53*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > I bought a number of cases of Flora Springs wine during a tasting trip
> > to Napa a few years back. *We were invited to dinner at the winery by
> > John Komes and he recounted a number of great stories about the early
> > days of the winery as he opened bottle after bottle of various
> > vintages including the just bottled 2002. *I opened one of my last
> > remaining bottles that I bought during that trip last night to
> > accompany Allen Brothers Dry Aged NY Strip steaks. *2002 Flora Springs
> > Anniversary Cabernet Napa Valley-deep dark inky purple with aroma of
> > fresh crushed blackberries and a touch of vanilla. *Smooth and supple
> > on the palate with an abundance of cassis, blackberry, blueberry and
> > cloves finishing with a bit of oaky vanilla. *The wine has aged
> > beautifully and was delicious. "A". *During that trip I bought 2002
> > Trilogy, Rutherford Reserve, Wild Boar and Holy Smoke as well as the
> > 25th Anniversary and all have drank beautifully over the past few
> > years.

> This is one winery I will buy on most wine lists if they are
> reasonable prices. The Trilogy and Wild Boar are always good for me.

John Komas told us a funny story about how Wild Boar got it's name.
Flora Springs bought a property in the Pope Valley and sent a crew
over to replant some old vines and clear some of the property for
planting. One of the crew members came back and told John that a wild
boar was roaming the property so John instructed them to shoot the
boar and have a pig roast which they promptly did. A few days later a
neighboring farmer came to the work site and asked the crew if they
had seen his hog which had escaped from it's pen...hence the name Wild
Boar.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 15, 11:06*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On May 15, 12:42*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
>

> > On May 15, 8:53*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > I bought a number of cases of Flora Springs wine during a tasting trip
> > > to Napa a few years back. *We were invited to dinner at the winery by
> > > John Komes and he recounted a number of great stories about the early
> > > days of the winery as he opened bottle after bottle of various
> > > vintages including the just bottled 2002. *I opened one of my last
> > > remaining bottles that I bought during that trip last night to
> > > accompany Allen Brothers Dry Aged NY Strip steaks. *2002 Flora Springs
> > > Anniversary Cabernet Napa Valley-deep dark inky purple with aroma of
> > > fresh crushed blackberries and a touch of vanilla. *Smooth and supple
> > > on the palate with an abundance of cassis, blackberry, blueberry and
> > > cloves finishing with a bit of oaky vanilla. *The wine has aged
> > > beautifully and was delicious. "A". *During that trip I bought 2002
> > > Trilogy, Rutherford Reserve, Wild Boar and Holy Smoke as well as the
> > > 25th Anniversary and all have drank beautifully over the past few
> > > years.

> > This is one winery I will buy on most wine lists if they are
> > reasonable prices. The Trilogy and Wild Boar are always good for me.

> John Komas told us a funny story about how Wild Boar got it's name.
> Flora Springs bought a property in the Pope Valley and sent a crew
> over to replant some old vines and clear some of the property for
> planting. *One of the crew members came back and told John that a wild
> boar was roaming the property so John instructed them to shoot the
> boar and have a pig roast which they promptly did. *A few days later a
> neighboring farmer came to the work site and asked the crew if they
> had seen his hog which had escaped from it's pen...hence the name Wild
> Boar.

Pretty funny story.

2002 Caymus SS Napa Cabernet Bi!! Wine 3 09-06-2015 01:45 PM
Spottswoode 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon lleichtman Wine 1 26-03-2011 03:07 PM
TN Iron Horse 2002 Cabernet Sauvignon Jose Wine 5 09-09-2006 10:39 PM
lindemans cabernet sauvignon bottled 2002 is it consumable? [email protected] Wine 2 08-05-2006 06:17 PM
TN: 2002 Whispering Dove, Cabernet Sauvignon [email protected] Wine 0 02-02-2005 06:35 AM