Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2007 Penfolds Grange

GRANGE is arguably Australia's most famous wine and is officially listed as
a Heritage Icon of South Australia.
This wine boasts an unbroken line of vintages from the experimental 1951 and
clearly demonstrates the synergy between Shiraz and the soils and climates
of South Australia.
The 2007 is unmistakably Grange€”formic, ripe, pungent, confronting.
CO darker elements€”soy/cola/peat/ coal-dust/Dutch black liquorice with
sesame/sea-weed/quince paste.
BENEATH: coffee-grind/mocha/ bitter chocolate (from oak?).
ABOVE: African spices coupled with a fleeting and appealing glacial waft.
PALATE: At once, balanced and accessible; fresh and tight. A structural and
textural continuum; no beginning or end, no gaps. Complete.
In an attempt to define the palate profile -
FLAVOURS: dates, persimmon, roasted nuts €¦ freshly baked
pecan-pie/Portuguese custard tart.
OAK: omnipresent, yet neither prominent nor ostentatious. Completely
assimilated.
TANNINS: neither obstructive nor aggressive, yet effortlessly conveying
flavours.
Yes, maturation of 21 months in barrel and three years in bottle has moulded
quite the structural and tactile Grange package.
VINEYARD REGIONS: Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale and Magill Estate, South
Australia.
GRAPE VARIETIES: 97% Shiraz and 3% Cabernet.
MATURATION: Matured for 21 months in 100% new American oak hogsheads.
LAST TASTED PEAK DRINKING (from January 2012 assessment): 2014€“2045

Wow - I always wanted a pungent, textural continuum, with Portuguese
custard.
Oh, and not obstructive, aggressive, prominent or ostentation - thank
goodness for that ???
And just how many glaciers are there in Australia?
And at a snap at $US500 per bottle

At least I admire the writers imaginative use of the English language!!!!!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 5/10/12 7:45 AM, st.helier wrote:

> Wow - I always wanted a pungent, textural continuum, with Portuguese
> custard.
> Oh, and not obstructive, aggressive, prominent or ostentation - thank
> goodness for that ???
> And just how many glaciers are there in Australia?
> And at a snap at $US500 per bottle
>
> At least I admire the writers imaginative use of the English language!!!!!

That was written by Peter Gago, the winemaker? Yeeks! Which do you
think is more overheated, the prose or the wine's nose? ;-)

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 05/10/2012 01:45 PM, st.helier wrote:
][
> At least I admire the writers imaginative use of the English language!!!!!

Wow, at first I feared his Lordship was succumbing to a case of French Gout!

Grange David W Wine 18 29-01-2007 10:08 PM
Penfolds Grange 1993 - Selling Rick Wine 2 16-07-2006 12:38 PM
Penfolds Grange 1991 Alex Hayne Wine 3 07-01-2005 03:44 AM
Penfolds Grange 98 sephiroth Wine 9 30-03-2004 11:14 PM
Penfolds Grange Michael Bartlett Wine 3 04-11-2003 07:34 PM