Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Clare, Chenin, Cotes, Carneros, Chablis

We had made a foray to HMart, and invited friends over for first time to do shabu-shabu at home. I made dashi, with a quart of chicken stock to deepen flavors, brought to a boil and then put on table in a slow cooker set on high (worked well). We dipped our beef and lamb slices, then added shiitakes, king oyster shrooms, napa cabbage, and tofu. Rice and assorted banchan on the side. An assortment of wines made appearances:

NV Pinon Non-Dose Vouvray Brut
Crisp, yeasty, very good. B+

2008 O’Leary Walker Polish Hill Riesling
Lime, ginger, and mineral, screwcapped, nice mid-bodied dry Riesling. B

2005 Havens “Hudson” Syrah (Carneros) 375 ml
Ripe dark berry fruit, leather and a touch of barnyard, a touch clipped. B-

1989 Ch. Fonsallete Cotes du Rhone Reserve
I’m quite happy with these. Lots of sediment, smoky, spice, ripe fruit with a little mocha, not at all tired. A-/B+

Last night I did Cornish hens with a citrus/Marsala gravy, with leftover vegetables and soup. Wine was the 2005 Fevre “Bougros - Cote de Bougerots” Chablis GC. Fevre has had lots of PremOx problems, so figured should work on these, this particular bottle was fresh and young. Beautiful white and citrus fruits, chalky minerality, very long. Full-bodied, satisfying, intricate. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 5, 5:37*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> We had made a foray to HMart, and invited friends over for first time to do shabu-shabu at home. I made dashi, with a quart of chicken stock to deepen flavors, brought to a boil and then put on table in a slow cooker set on high (worked well). We dipped our beef and lamb slices, then added shiitakes, king oyster shrooms, napa cabbage, and tofu. Rice and assorted banchan on the side. An assortment of wines made appearances:
>
> NV Pinon Non-Dose Vouvray Brut
> Crisp, yeasty, very good. B+
>
> 2008 O’Leary Walker Polish Hill Riesling
> Lime, ginger, and mineral, screwcapped, nice mid-bodied dry Riesling. B
>
> 2005 Havens “Hudson” Syrah (Carneros) 375 ml
> Ripe dark berry fruit, leather and a touch of barnyard, a touch clipped. B-
>
> 1989 Ch. Fonsallete Cotes du Rhone Reserve
> I’m quite happy with these. Lots of sediment, smoky, spice, ripe fruit with a little mocha, not at all tired. A-/B+
>
> Last night I did Cornish hens with a citrus/Marsala gravy, with leftover vegetables and soup. Wine was the 2005 Fevre “Bougros - Cote de Bougerots” Chablis GC. Fevre has had lots of PremOx problems, so figured should work on these, this particular bottle was fresh and young. Beautiful white and citrus fruits, chalky minerality, very long. Full-bodied, satisfying, intricate. A-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Glad you had a good bottle of Fevre. I went to a Fevre tasting
recently and our of eight bottles from various vineyards two were
premoxed. The 2005 Bougros-Bougerots was the most oxidized of the two
bad bottles. I have a number of Fevre Chablis in my cellar and it
seems that as long as I drink them within a year of release I hven't
found a problem but anything after that is risky.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 05/05/2012 11:37 PM, DaleW wrote:
> 1989 Ch. Fonsallete Cotes du Rhone Reserve
> I’m quite happy with these. Lots of sediment, smoky, spice, ripe fruit with a little mocha, not at all tired. A-/B+

Do you intimate, sir, having a great stash of these? I'm not surprised
it's good, and more than a little jealous...
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, May 7, 2012 10:01:51 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> Glad you had a good bottle of Fevre. I went to a Fevre tasting
> recently and our of eight bottles from various vineyards two were
> premoxed. The 2005 Bougros-Bougerots was the most oxidized of the two
> bad bottles. I have a number of Fevre Chablis in my cellar and it
> seems that as long as I drink them within a year of release I hven't
> found a problem but anything after that is risky.

Yes, high incidence of premox, that's why I'm trying to drink up what I have (and frankly not buying more)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:28:05 PM UTC-4, Emery Davis wrote:
> On 05/05/2012 11:37 PM, DaleW wrote:
> > 1989 Ch. Fonsallete Cotes du Rhone Reserve
> > I’m quite happy with these. Lots of sediment, smoky, spice, ripe fruit with a little mocha, not at all tired. A-/B+

> Do you intimate, sir, having a great stash of these? I'm not surprised
> it's good, and more than a little jealous...

great stash no, but another 5 or so. If you were to visit NY.....

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 05/12/2012 10:51 PM, DaleW wrote:
> On Thursday, May 10, 2012 4:28:05 PM UTC-4, Emery Davis wrote:
>> On 05/05/2012 11:37 PM, DaleW wrote:
>>> 1989 Ch. Fonsallete Cotes du Rhone Reserve
>>> I’m quite happy with these. Lots of sediment, smoky, spice, ripe fruit with a little mocha, not at all tired. A-/B+

>> Do you intimate, sir, having a great stash of these? I'm not surprised
>> it's good, and more than a little jealous...

> great stash no, but another 5 or so. If you were to visit NY.....

It's possible this summer...

2012 Aubert Carneros Chardonnay Bi!! Wine 0 09-06-2015 02:30 PM
TN: Fireblock (Clare) and Guion (Bourgueil) DaleW Wine 1 21-05-2010 05:28 PM
TN: Domaine Carneros '05 Godzilla Lizard Wine 2 01-01-2010 11:08 PM
TN: Sekt, CdR, and Clare DaleW Wine 0 12-08-2009 07:46 PM
TN: Provencal rose, Carneros PN DaleW Wine 0 08-05-2008 04:46 PM