Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1997 Sassetti Pertimali Brunello di Montalcino

I've been on an Italian kick recently as the Italian wines are closest
to the door of the wine cellar and I just randomly pick wines each
night in the event that my wife hasn't already pulled a wine. We sat
in the garden with some local salumi and some italian cheeses, olives,
etc so the 1997 Sassetti Pertimali Brunello was a good choice. I
decanted it and the aroma while decanting was filled with dark fruits
and exotic spices. The wine was medium bodied in the glass but felt
fuller on the palate and was still very dark reddish purple. Flavors
of black earth, black cherry, anise, and cocoa with a lot of creme de
cassis throughout the palate from start to finish. Well balanced and
tasty. "B++"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 4, 9:31*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I've been on an Italian kick recently as the Italian wines are closest
> to the door of the wine cellar and I just randomly pick wines each
> night in the event that my wife hasn't already pulled a wine. *We sat
> in the garden with some local salumi and some italian cheeses, olives,
> etc so the 1997 Sassetti Pertimali Brunello was a good choice. *I
> decanted it and the aroma while decanting was filled with dark fruits
> and exotic spices. *The wine was medium bodied in the glass but felt
> fuller on the palate and was still very dark reddish purple. *Flavors
> of black earth, black cherry, anise, and cocoa with a lot of creme de
> cassis throughout the palate from start to finish. *Well balanced and
> tasty. "B++"

Never had this particular Brunello. What is the price point generally
for Sassetti?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Friday, May 4, 2012 11:31:47 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> I've been on an Italian kick recently as the Italian wines are closest
> to the door of the wine cellar and I just randomly pick wines each
> night in the event that my wife hasn't already pulled a wine. We sat
> in the garden with some local salumi and some italian cheeses, olives,
> etc so the 1997 Sassetti Pertimali Brunello was a good choice. I
> decanted it and the aroma while decanting was filled with dark fruits
> and exotic spices. The wine was medium bodied in the glass but felt
> fuller on the palate and was still very dark reddish purple. Flavors
> of black earth, black cherry, anise, and cocoa with a lot of creme de
> cassis throughout the palate from start to finish. Well balanced and
> tasty. "B++"

This was served blind at a SOBER dinner a few years ago. I liked- these were my notes:

" Wine #6 Nose here is also exotic, with sandalwood and coffee. Ripe and big, some vanilla but not overwhelming. Gets smooth and chocolately with a little air. Really quite nice, and rather ready. A-/B+. It's the 1997 Pertimali/Livio Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino.
/......./ The '97 showed much better than any other '97 Brunello I've tried recently (Antinori Pian delle Vigne, etc). "

I'm not really a fan of 97 Brunello, but this one seems to be quite good
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 4, 11:21*am, lleichtman > wrote:
> On May 4, 9:31*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > I've been on an Italian kick recently as the Italian wines are closest
> > to the door of the wine cellar and I just randomly pick wines each
> > night in the event that my wife hasn't already pulled a wine. *We sat
> > in the garden with some local salumi and some italian cheeses, olives,
> > etc so the 1997 Sassetti Pertimali Brunello was a good choice. *I
> > decanted it and the aroma while decanting was filled with dark fruits
> > and exotic spices. *The wine was medium bodied in the glass but felt
> > fuller on the palate and was still very dark reddish purple. *Flavors
> > of black earth, black cherry, anise, and cocoa with a lot of creme de
> > cassis throughout the palate from start to finish. *Well balanced and
> > tasty. "B++"

> Never had this particular Brunello. What is the price point generally
> for Sassetti?

Just checked and the only company that seems to carry this is Total
Wine. Not one anywhere near me.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 4, 1:21*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> On May 4, 9:31*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > I've been on an Italian kick recently as the Italian wines are closest
> > to the door of the wine cellar and I just randomly pick wines each
> > night in the event that my wife hasn't already pulled a wine. *We sat
> > in the garden with some local salumi and some italian cheeses, olives,
> > etc so the 1997 Sassetti Pertimali Brunello was a good choice. *I
> > decanted it and the aroma while decanting was filled with dark fruits
> > and exotic spices. *The wine was medium bodied in the glass but felt
> > fuller on the palate and was still very dark reddish purple. *Flavors
> > of black earth, black cherry, anise, and cocoa with a lot of creme de
> > cassis throughout the palate from start to finish. *Well balanced and
> > tasty. "B++"

> Never had this particular Brunello. What is the price point generally
> for Sassetti?

I just Googled it Larry and found it at the usual suspects..Zachys,
Sokolin, Etc. Seems to be roughly $80.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 5, 9:32*am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Friday, May 4, 2012 11:31:47 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> > I've been on an Italian kick recently as the Italian wines are closest
> > to the door of the wine cellar and I just randomly pick wines each
> > night in the event that my wife hasn't already pulled a wine. *We sat
> > in the garden with some local salumi and some italian cheeses, olives,
> > etc so the 1997 Sassetti Pertimali Brunello was a good choice. *I
> > decanted it and the aroma while decanting was filled with dark fruits
> > and exotic spices. *The wine was medium bodied in the glass but felt
> > fuller on the palate and was still very dark reddish purple. *Flavors
> > of black earth, black cherry, anise, and cocoa with a lot of creme de
> > cassis throughout the palate from start to finish. *Well balanced and
> > tasty. "B++"

> This was served blind at a SOBER dinner a few years ago. I liked- these were my notes:
>
> " Wine #6 Nose here is also exotic, with sandalwood and coffee. Ripe and big, some vanilla but not overwhelming. Gets smooth and chocolately with a little air. Really quite nice, and rather ready. A-/B+. It's the 1997 Pertimali/Livio Sassetti Brunello di Montalcino.
> /......./ The '97 showed much better than any other '97 Brunello I've tried recently (Antinori Pian delle Vigne, etc). "
>
> I'm not really a fan of 97 Brunello, but this one seems to be quite good

Your tasting notes and mine are not that far off.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 7, 8:05*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On May 4, 1:21*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
>

> > On May 4, 9:31*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > I've been on an Italian kick recently as the Italian wines are closest
> > > to the door of the wine cellar and I just randomly pick wines each
> > > night in the event that my wife hasn't already pulled a wine. *We sat
> > > in the garden with some local salumi and some italian cheeses, olives,
> > > etc so the 1997 Sassetti Pertimali Brunello was a good choice. *I
> > > decanted it and the aroma while decanting was filled with dark fruits
> > > and exotic spices. *The wine was medium bodied in the glass but felt
> > > fuller on the palate and was still very dark reddish purple. *Flavors
> > > of black earth, black cherry, anise, and cocoa with a lot of creme de
> > > cassis throughout the palate from start to finish. *Well balanced and
> > > tasty. "B++"

> > Never had this particular Brunello. What is the price point generally
> > for Sassetti?

> I just Googled it Larry and found it at the usual suspects..Zachys,
> Sokolin, Etc. *Seems to be roughly $80.

Thanks, wine searcher just kept coming up with Total Wine and More.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 7, 5:10*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> On May 7, 8:05*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > Never had this particular Brunello. What is the price point generally
> > > for Sassetti?

> > I just Googled it Larry and found it at the usual suspects..Zachys,
> > Sokolin, Etc. *Seems to be roughly $80.

> Thanks, wine searcher just kept coming up with Total Wine and More.- Hide quoted text -

I usually just do a quick google search then narrow it down from there.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, May 7, 2012 5:10:01 PM UTC-4, lleichtman wrote:
> On May 7, 8:05*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > Never had this particular Brunello. What is the price point generally
> > > for Sassetti?

> > I just Googled it Larry and found it at the usual suspects..Zachys,
> > Sokolin, Etc. *Seems to be roughly $80.

> Thanks, wine searcher just kept coming up with Total Wine and More.

I'm getting lots of hits on pretty much every vintage, none Total. I agree it's irritating that Total shows up with every store because of linked inventory when one has something. I'd do excluded stores, but it would take a long time because you'd have to exclude each Total.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, May 7, 2012 5:10:01 PM UTC-4, lleichtman wrote:
> On May 7, 8:05*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > Never had this particular Brunello. What is the price point generally
> > > for Sassetti?

> > I just Googled it Larry and found it at the usual suspects..Zachys,
> > Sokolin, Etc. *Seems to be roughly $80.

> Thanks, wine searcher just kept coming up with Total Wine and More.

Aha! I've got it. LL, I think you searched for "Sassetti". So you're seeing pages of results at Total for Vasco Sassetti, the "other" Sassetti. The estate that makes a top rank Brunello is Pertimali (run by the Livio Sassetti family). The Vasco Sassetti BdM doesn't have a great rep.