FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Wachau, Burgundy, Lombardy, & Provence (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/417460-tn-wachau-burgundy-lombardy.html)

DaleW 03-05-2012 03:40 PM

TN: Wachau, Burgundy, Lombardy, & Provence

Sunday I did Asian marinated pork chops, a lemon/basil farfalle dish, corn, and seaweed salad. I opened the 2007 Bize “Les Perrieres” Bourgogne blanc- good base, but there’s some oxidative and cidery notes. This was a nice wine, and maybe this is premox syndrome, but this was a refill on Winebid and I’m guessing it saw heat. Will open from my original stash soon, though with the pox’s random nature a good bottle is no proof. C+
Life’s too short, so opened the 2007 Rudi Pichler Achleiten Riesling Smaragd. Rich, full, stone fruits and ginger, good acids, almost too much ripeness and intensity of flavor but I like. B+

For meatless Monday I made a salad of tofu topped with cucumbers and red peppers with a warm dressing, and a large varied pizza (spinach/walnut feta, margherita, and gorgonzola mushroom sections). Wine was the 2011 Mas de Gourgonnier (Les Baux de Provence). Classic Provencal rose, fresh, elegant, very nice, will get more. B/B+

Tuesday grilled salmon (soy/fish sauce marinade), rice with nori wrappers or furikake, mushrooms, spinach and arugula with oyster sauce, and kimchee. I went with the 2010 Sandro Fay Rosso di Valtellina. Quite at first, opens up, fresh with red cherry fruit accented with a little herbal note, deeper fruit and fuller body on night 2. Definitely will get more of this. B+

Wednesday flounder, with a broccoli/cauliflower combo and some assorted banchan
the 2010 Gilbert Picq Chablis VV. Rounder fuller style of Chablis, but with decent balancing acids. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.