Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1996 Caymus Napa Valley Cabernet

Opened for dinner last night with grilled hanger steaks 1996 Caymus
Napa Valley Cabernet. I still ahve a few bottles left from a case I
bought on release. I always thought of the 1996 vintage as being
the last of the "old style" vintages in Napa before rampant ripeness
and lavish oak treatments really took hold. The Caymus was still dark
purple with no signs of age. Nose of crush black fruits and black
pepper with a touch of mint and a slight vanilla aok aroma. Medium
bodied on the palate with cassis, blackberry and black coffee
flavors. Tannins are still present and still a bit firm. I'm not
sure the tannins will ever fully resolve but the wine will last
another decade in the cellar. Not spectacular but quite good. "B"

1996 Chateau Montelena Estate Napa Cabernet Bi!! Wine 0 29-08-2016 03:58 PM
2002 Caymus SS Napa Cabernet Bi!! Wine 3 09-06-2015 01:45 PM
Beringer Napa Valley Cabernet 2010 Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 0 16-05-2015 12:44 AM
1996 Caymus Napa Valley Cabernet Bi!! Wine 2 28-03-2008 09:13 PM
1989 Dominus Napa Valley Cabernet Bi!! Wine 0 09-12-2007 02:45 PM