FoodBanter.com

-   -   2000 Cepparello 2007 Kamen Estates (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/417443-2000-cepparello-2007-kamen.html)

Bi!! 02-05-2012 04:21 PM

2000 Cepparello 2007 Kamen Estates

My wife opened a bottle of 2000 Isole e Olena Cepparello last night to
drink with snacks as we were meeting freinds a bit late for a light
dinner at a local resaurant. The 2000 Isole e Olena Cepparello has
been cellared since release and this was my last bottle. IIRC this is
100% Sangiovese from a single vineyard. Pale red in the glass with a
bit of brick. A little barnyard and animal on the nose which blew off
then ripe cherry and sea salt. Initially a lot of secondary flavors
of cedar and leather but within a a few minutes a lot of red cherry
almost Kirsch and tobacco. Not the most complex Italian wine I've had
but a nice glass. "B"

Later at a local restaurant that does a half price special on bottles
of wine on Tuesdays I ordered a bottle of the 2007 Kamen Estates which
was listed for $75 and I paid $37.50 which is a loss for the
restaurant and also against the law in Ohio but not my problem I
guess. The wine was inky black in the glass with a deep blackberry
aroma. Cassis and blackberry on the palate with lots of espresso and
black peppery notes. Smooth and plush with just the right acidity.
I've known Robert Kamen for a number of years and his wines always
amaze me.