FoodBanter.com

-   -   Piemonte and Tuscany (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/417409-piemonte-tuscany.html)

Bill S. 01-05-2012 05:53 AM

Piemonte and Tuscany

Notes from a combined Piemonte Tuscany tasting.

2010 Elio Grasso Educato Chardonnay (Langhe) – light colour, nice
lemony nose, clean and fresh, but also too expensive.

1999 Rocaccio Fontenova – an old favourite – a blend of Sangiovese and
Ciliegiolo, this had good colour, a nose of earthy plum, some up front
tannin, and good length. Tasty.

1995 Fonterutoli Chianti Reserva – dark wine with a caramel and
vanilla nose, good weight and length, smooth and soft. Perfect right
now.

1995 Ornellaia – this cabernet from Ludovico Antinori, made in
Bolgheri, was also at peak. Herbal peppery nose, smooth and supple in
the mouth, may improve but great now.

2001 Cannonico a Ceretto Sandiavolo – very slight TCA, but easy to see
the quality underneath. Nice fruit, tannin on entry, some trailing
blackberry and medium length.

2003 Uccelliera Brunello – Dark, lots of vanilla in this nose, big in
the mouth with lots of tannin, quite ripe fruit – definitely a
pleasant but new age take on Brunello.

1997 Rocche Costamagna Barolo Bricco Francesco – floral and acidic
elements in the nose, high toned with some nice complexity, supple
middle and medium length.

1997 Giacomo Conterno Barolo (Serralunga) – good colour, lovely floral
and tar nose sweet and supple lost of soft tannin, a leathery touch
and good acidity. Excellent.

2000 Frescobaldi Mormoreto – this Tuscan Cab had an odd nose with low
fruit, a bit hot and primary, medium length, still pretty firm and
needs time to see what will be there.

Franco Martinetti Alcedo Vino da Uve Stramature - Timorasso grapes,
dried and sweet, slightly oxidized and with too little acidity for
good balance.

1997 Isole o Olena Vin Santo – delightful wine with a brown sweet
oxidized presentation, nutty figgy wine.

Bi!! 01-05-2012 04:41 PM

Piemonte and Tuscany

On May 1, 12:53*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> Notes from a combined Piemonte Tuscany tasting.
>
> 2010 Elio Grasso Educato Chardonnay (Langhe) – light colour, nice
> lemony nose, clean and fresh, but also too expensive.
>
> 1999 Rocaccio Fontenova – an old favourite – a blend of Sangiovese and
> Ciliegiolo, this had good colour, a nose of earthy plum, some up front
> tannin, and good length. Tasty.
>
> 1995 Fonterutoli Chianti Reserva – dark wine with a caramel and
> vanilla nose, good weight and length, smooth and soft. Perfect right
> now.
>
> 1995 Ornellaia – this cabernet from Ludovico Antinori, made in
> Bolgheri, was also at peak. Herbal peppery nose, smooth and supple in
> the mouth, may improve but great now.
>
> 2001 Cannonico a Ceretto Sandiavolo – very slight TCA, but easy to see
> the quality underneath. Nice fruit, tannin on entry, some trailing
> blackberry and medium length.
>
> 2003 Uccelliera Brunello – Dark, lots of vanilla in this nose, big in
> the mouth with lots of tannin, quite ripe fruit – definitely a
> pleasant but new age take on Brunello.
>
> 1997 Rocche Costamagna Barolo Bricco Francesco – floral and acidic
> elements in the nose, high toned with some nice complexity, supple
> middle and *medium length.
>
> 1997 Giacomo Conterno Barolo (Serralunga) – good colour, lovely floral
> and tar nose sweet and supple lost of soft tannin, a leathery touch
> and good acidity. Excellent.
>
> 2000 Frescobaldi Mormoreto – this Tuscan Cab had an odd nose with low
> fruit, a bit hot and primary, medium length, still pretty firm and
> needs time to see what will be there.
>
> Franco Martinetti Alcedo Vino da Uve Stramature - *Timorasso grapes,
> dried and sweet, slightly oxidized and with too little acidity for
> good balance.
>
> 1997 Isole o Olena Vin Santo – delightful wine with a brown sweet
> oxidized presentation, nutty figgy wine.

The Isole e Olena Vin Santo is a personal favorite of mine. Don't see
it often in the States.

lleichtman 02-05-2012 03:27 AM

Piemonte and Tuscany

On May 1, 9:41*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On May 1, 12:53*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
>

> > Notes from a combined Piemonte Tuscany tasting.

> > 2010 Elio Grasso Educato Chardonnay (Langhe) – light colour, nice
> > lemony nose, clean and fresh, but also too expensive.

> > 1999 Rocaccio Fontenova – an old favourite – a blend of Sangiovese and
> > Ciliegiolo, this had good colour, a nose of earthy plum, some up front
> > tannin, and good length. Tasty.

> > 1995 Fonterutoli Chianti Reserva – dark wine with a caramel and
> > vanilla nose, good weight and length, smooth and soft. Perfect right
> > now.

> > 1995 Ornellaia – this cabernet from Ludovico Antinori, made in
> > Bolgheri, was also at peak. Herbal peppery nose, smooth and supple in
> > the mouth, may improve but great now.

> > 2001 Cannonico a Ceretto Sandiavolo – very slight TCA, but easy to see
> > the quality underneath. Nice fruit, tannin on entry, some trailing
> > blackberry and medium length.

> > 2003 Uccelliera Brunello – Dark, lots of vanilla in this nose, big in
> > the mouth with lots of tannin, quite ripe fruit – definitely a
> > pleasant but new age take on Brunello.

> > 1997 Rocche Costamagna Barolo Bricco Francesco – floral and acidic
> > elements in the nose, high toned with some nice complexity, supple
> > middle and *medium length.

> > 1997 Giacomo Conterno Barolo (Serralunga) – good colour, lovely floral
> > and tar nose sweet and supple lost of soft tannin, a leathery touch
> > and good acidity. Excellent.

> > 2000 Frescobaldi Mormoreto – this Tuscan Cab had an odd nose with low
> > fruit, a bit hot and primary, medium length, still pretty firm and
> > needs time to see what will be there.

> > Franco Martinetti Alcedo Vino da Uve Stramature - *Timorasso grapes,
> > dried and sweet, slightly oxidized and with too little acidity for
> > good balance.

> > 1997 Isole o Olena Vin Santo – delightful wine with a brown sweet
> > oxidized presentation, nutty figgy wine.

> The Isole e Olena Vin Santo is a personal favorite of mine. *Don't see
> it often in the States.

I have never seen it in the states. Is it imported to the US? It is my
favorite when in Italy.

Bi!! 02-05-2012 03:41 PM

Piemonte and Tuscany

On May 1, 10:27*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> On May 1, 9:41*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > On May 1, 12:53*am, "Bill S." > wrote:

> > > Notes from a combined Piemonte Tuscany tasting.

> > > 2010 Elio Grasso Educato Chardonnay (Langhe) – light colour, nice
> > > lemony nose, clean and fresh, but also too expensive.

> > > 1999 Rocaccio Fontenova – an old favourite – a blend of Sangiovese and
> > > Ciliegiolo, this had good colour, a nose of earthy plum, some up front
> > > tannin, and good length. Tasty.

> > > 1995 Fonterutoli Chianti Reserva – dark wine with a caramel and
> > > vanilla nose, good weight and length, smooth and soft. Perfect right
> > > now.

> > > 1995 Ornellaia – this cabernet from Ludovico Antinori, made in
> > > Bolgheri, was also at peak. Herbal peppery nose, smooth and supple in
> > > the mouth, may improve but great now.

> > > 2001 Cannonico a Ceretto Sandiavolo – very slight TCA, but easy to see
> > > the quality underneath. Nice fruit, tannin on entry, some trailing
> > > blackberry and medium length.

> > > 2003 Uccelliera Brunello – Dark, lots of vanilla in this nose, big in
> > > the mouth with lots of tannin, quite ripe fruit – definitely a
> > > pleasant but new age take on Brunello.

> > > 1997 Rocche Costamagna Barolo Bricco Francesco – floral and acidic
> > > elements in the nose, high toned with some nice complexity, supple
> > > middle and *medium length.

> > > 1997 Giacomo Conterno Barolo (Serralunga) – good colour, lovely floral
> > > and tar nose sweet and supple lost of soft tannin, a leathery touch
> > > and good acidity. Excellent.

> > > 2000 Frescobaldi Mormoreto – this Tuscan Cab had an odd nose with low
> > > fruit, a bit hot and primary, medium length, still pretty firm and
> > > needs time to see what will be there.

> > > Franco Martinetti Alcedo Vino da Uve Stramature - *Timorasso grapes,
> > > dried and sweet, slightly oxidized and with too little acidity for
> > > good balance.

> > > 1997 Isole o Olena Vin Santo – delightful wine with a brown sweet
> > > oxidized presentation, nutty figgy wine.

> > The Isole e Olena Vin Santo is a personal favorite of mine. *Don't see
> > it often in the States.

> I have never seen it in the states. Is it imported to the US? It is my
> favorite when in Italy.- Hide quoted text -

A few years ago Paolo Di Marchi, the owner made, a swing through Ohio
and I attended a couple tasting with him. The sales rep had enough
orders to get a case or two so it was available for a short time
locally. I visited the winery subsequently and Paolo gifted me a
bottle which I took home with me. Last night when I got home my wife
had opened a bottle of 2000 Cepparello from Isole e Olena which was a
bit tired but still quite good....ESP?

DaleW 02-05-2012 04:14 PM

Piemonte and Tuscany

On Tuesday, May 1, 2012 10:27:43 PM UTC-4, lleichtman wrote:
> On May 1, 9:41*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> > On May 1, 12:53*am, "Bill S." > wrote:
> >

> > > Notes from a combined Piemonte Tuscany tasting.

> > > 2010 Elio Grasso Educato Chardonnay (Langhe) – light colour, nice
> > > lemony nose, clean and fresh, but also too expensive.

> > > 1999 Rocaccio Fontenova – an old favourite – a blend of Sangiovese and
> > > Ciliegiolo, this had good colour, a nose of earthy plum, some up front
> > > tannin, and good length. Tasty.

> > > 1995 Fonterutoli Chianti Reserva – dark wine with a caramel and
> > > vanilla nose, good weight and length, smooth and soft. Perfect right
> > > now.

> > > 1995 Ornellaia – this cabernet from Ludovico Antinori, made in
> > > Bolgheri, was also at peak. Herbal peppery nose, smooth and supple in
> > > the mouth, may improve but great now.

> > > 2001 Cannonico a Ceretto Sandiavolo – very slight TCA, but easy to see
> > > the quality underneath. Nice fruit, tannin on entry, some trailing
> > > blackberry and medium length.

> > > 2003 Uccelliera Brunello – Dark, lots of vanilla in this nose, big in
> > > the mouth with lots of tannin, quite ripe fruit – definitely a
> > > pleasant but new age take on Brunello.

> > > 1997 Rocche Costamagna Barolo Bricco Francesco – floral and acidic
> > > elements in the nose, high toned with some nice complexity, supple
> > > middle and *medium length.

> > > 1997 Giacomo Conterno Barolo (Serralunga) – good colour, lovely floral
> > > and tar nose sweet and supple lost of soft tannin, a leathery touch
> > > and good acidity. Excellent.

> > > 2000 Frescobaldi Mormoreto – this Tuscan Cab had an odd nose with low
> > > fruit, a bit hot and primary, medium length, still pretty firm and
> > > needs time to see what will be there.

> > > Franco Martinetti Alcedo Vino da Uve Stramature - *Timorasso grapes,
> > > dried and sweet, slightly oxidized and with too little acidity for
> > > good balance.

> > > 1997 Isole o Olena Vin Santo – delightful wine with a brown sweet
> > > oxidized presentation, nutty figgy wine.

> > The Isole e Olena Vin Santo is a personal favorite of mine. *Don't see
> > it often in the States.

> I have never seen it in the states. Is it imported to the US? It is my
> favorite when in Italy.

Don't know importer, but it seems pretty widely available in parts of US.
Of better known stores, Benchmark in Napa has several back vintages
2003 seems to be current vintage. MacArthurs, Schneiders, and C-W in DC all carry, as does Princeton Corkscrew in NJ, Andover in MA, Primovino in CO, Royal in NY.