Posted to alt.food.wine

Default The Portuguese Menace Strikes Again

Residing as we do in the land of Stelvin, we have thankfully had little
to worry about regarding cork failure. However, in our brief respite
from Kiwi wines, we got a bottle of the '06 Alain Graillot St. Joseph
and opened it the other night when having venison medallions for dinner.
On opening, it presented itself as the most pine-y (terpenish) Syrah
of my experience, but not devoid of interest. Jean couldn't get much
fruit out of it, but I got an nice undercurrent of red fruit beneath the
pine boughs. Tonight, we opened the remaining half bottle after a few
days of rest and found that the wine now was discernably corked (as well
as a bit maderized). Mystery solved, and yet another victim of the
dread Portuguese menace has been tallied.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:55:57 AM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> Residing as we do in the land of Stelvin, we have thankfully had little
> to worry about regarding cork failure. However, in our brief respite
> from Kiwi wines, we got a bottle of the '06 Alain Graillot St. Joseph
> and opened it the other night when having venison medallions for dinner.
> On opening, it presented itself as the most pine-y (terpenish) Syrah
> of my experience, but not devoid of interest. Jean couldn't get much
> fruit out of it, but I got an nice undercurrent of red fruit beneath the
> pine boughs. Tonight, we opened the remaining half bottle after a few
> days of rest and found that the wine now was discernably corked (as well
> as a bit maderized). Mystery solved, and yet another victim of the
> dread Portuguese menace has been tallied.
>
> Mark Lipton

that's sad, as you know Graillot rules (when correct)!
Posted to alt.food.wine

(apologies if a dupe)
that's a sad story, as Graillot is easily my favorite Crozes.