Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Rhone and Rhonish wines, plus Oregon PN

Last night we went to a St Paddys dinner at some friends' home. Betsy had made homemade potato chips (3 types- rosemary, salt and pepper, and truffle salt) which we topped with creme fraiche and ikura. Then a traditional Irish-American dinner of corned beed and cabbage and potatoes, plus a salad.

NV Gruet Blanc de Noirs
Clean and tasty if unremarkable. B-

2009 Clos de L'Abbe Dubois (Cotes du Vivarais)
Ron said "Claire brought a CdRhone," later I noted it is actually an appellation I don't know, but the description seemed to fit. Red fruit, good acids, straightforward. B-

2007 Linne Calodo Sticks and Stones (Paso Robles)
This was an expensive/generous gift from a friend whose tastes run a bit more New World than mine. But Ron our host likes big wines and Rhone varieties, so this seemed like a good time to take along and open. Whoa! This is very sweet and hot, even Ron finds too much. I check label -15.8%, and showing all of it. Ripe/overripe cherries, licorice. hot on finish. Actually, I liked it a bit better at end of meal when it's Portiness didn't seem to matter as much. But for most part, C/C+

2006 St Innocent "Anden Vineyard" Pinot Noir
Bigger/riper than I remember most St. I's, but mostly in balance - a nice young PN with some earth and a little funk over a solid black cherry body. Good but not my favorite from winery. B

1998 Coudoulet de Beaucastel (Cotes du Rhone)
Last bottle opened, first bottle finished. This lives up to the Coudoulet rep of a baby CdP. I have found some 98 Southern Rhones overripe, but this is fairly cool fruited (for a Grenache blend)- cherries, coffee, and herb. Tannins well in background, more than adequate acids, very good length. Drinking very nicely. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 18, 3:02*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Last night we went to a St Paddys dinner at some friends' home. Betsy had made homemade potato chips (3 types- rosemary, salt and pepper, and truffle salt) which we topped with creme fraiche and ikura. Then a traditional Irish-American dinner of corned beed and cabbage and potatoes, plus a salad.
>
> NV Gruet Blanc de Noirs
> Clean and tasty if unremarkable. B-
>
> 2009 Clos de L'Abbe Dubois (Cotes du Vivarais)
> Ron said "Claire brought a CdRhone," later I noted it is actually an appellation I don't know, but the description seemed to fit. Red fruit, good acids, straightforward. B-
>
> 2007 Linne Calodo Sticks and Stones (Paso Robles)
> This was an expensive/generous gift from a friend whose tastes run a bit more New World than mine. But Ron our host likes big wines and Rhone varieties, so this seemed like a good time to take along and open. Whoa! This is very sweet and hot, even Ron finds too much. I check label -15.8%, and showing all of it. Ripe/overripe cherries, licorice. hot on finish. Actually, I liked it a bit better at end of meal when it's Portiness didn't seem to matter as much. But for most part, C/C+
>
> 2006 St Innocent "Anden Vineyard" Pinot Noir
> Bigger/riper than I remember most St. I's, but mostly in balance - a nice young PN with some earth and a little funk over a solid black cherry body. Good but not my favorite from winery. B
>
> 1998 Coudoulet de Beaucastel (Cotes du Rhone)
> Last bottle opened, first bottle finished. This lives up to the Coudoulet rep of a baby CdP. I have found some 98 Southern Rhones overripe, but this is fairly cool fruited (for a Grenache blend)- cherries, coffee, and herb. Tannins well in background, more than adequate acids, very good length. Drinking very nicely. B++
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Had the Linne Calodo at the winery in 2010 and thought they were way
too expensive and way too big. No balance