Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: assorted wines, at home and at a party

With scallops and broccoli with penne as well as clams in white wine:

2009 Pernot Bourgogne Blanc
Round, full, balanced acidity, good length of Bourgogne AC, B.

2010 Eminence Road "Elizabeth's Vineyard" Gewurztraminer
Finger Lakes grapes, Catskills winery. This has a big mouthfeel despite 12% abv, seems like plenty of extract without feeling "extracted" if that makes sense. More ginger and herb than lychee, with a saline note that is surprising but pleasant in a Gewurz. I like this a lot, but it is alas sold out at CSW. B+

Saturday we went to Rosie's 50th birthday party, nice catered spread, and I tried many wines (I had brought a few whites from "significant" years as she prefers white, no 1962s though)

NV Gruet Blanc de Noirs
Appley, a touch of sweetness, could use a bit more zip, simple but tasty. B-

1997 von Othegraven Kanzemer Altenberg Riesling Auslese*
not especially sweet, fair acids, quite petrolly. B

1998 Zind Humbrecht Herrenweg de Turckheim
Heavy, oily, floral, some quite liked this but I wasn't one of them B-/C+

2001Domaine de Haut Bourg Muscadet
Good freshness, clean acids, a hint of sweetness in the fruit I don't remember from before, but still find this not especially complex despite long long stay on lees. B

2008 Ferret "Sous Vergisson" Pouilly Fuisse
Full, lemony, some wood notes, but nicely integrated, good acids and length.. B+

2010 Gilles Noblet Macon Fuisse
Good acids, clean, quite floral, nice. B/B+

2008 Selbach Spatlese
Generic negoce bottling, but this is quite a nice surprise, with vivid acids underlying some straightforwardly sweet white apple fruit. B

2010 Nigl Dornleiten Riesling
Good acids, full bodied, but a bit clipped and I don't like this as much as I usually enjoy Nigl. B-

1998*Casisano Colombaio*Brunello*di Montalcino
I think everyone else liked more than I, I found it anonymous international ripe wine. B-

2009 Haut Columbier (Blaye)
a bit pruney, but hugely popular with others. Very ripe, soft, good for party wine for the masses. B-

2000 Haut Montpezat (cotes de Castillon)
Mature fruit, a green herby edge I don't find unpleasant, still some tannin, pleasant drinking in a slightly austere style.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.