Mark Lipton

Default Poll: What are your current "house" wines?

Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
using as your house wines?

Mark Lipton
Bill Spohn

>So, what are the rest of you
>using as your house wines?

Castano Hecula and Segura Viudas Lavit (pink, dry bubbly for SWMBO)
John Taverner

"Young Martle" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 04:18:45 GMT, Mark Lipton >
> wrote:
>
>>Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
>>time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
>>as their everyday (house) wine. >

> Lurton Malbec
>
> Skalli Corbi?res

Montagny 2001 from Tescos at GBP 5.50, stunning value
Wine Society Claret.
JT

Pete Fraser

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using as
> their everyday (house) wine.

2001 Artadi Vinas de Gain
2001 Falesco Vitiano
2001 Abadia Retuerta Rivola

Dale Williams

All under $8:
Red
'02/'03 Borsao
'02 Iche "Les Heretiques" VdP d'Herault
White
2002 Louis Latour Mcon Villages Chameroy
2003 Melini Orvieto
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Richard Neidich

Penfolds Rawsons Reteat Merlot or Cab.

Ch. St. Jean-Sonoma Chard.

Fairbanks (Gallo) Port

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using as
> their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive wine(s)
> that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a casual meal or
> use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04 Verramonte
> Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone. On the basis
> of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01 Woodbridge Cabernet for
> this purpose. So, what are the rest of you using as your house wines?
>
> Mark Lipton

Richard Neidich

Penfolds Rawsons Reteat Merlot or Cab.

Ch. St. Jean-Sonoma Chard.

Fairbanks (Gallo) Port

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using as
> their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive wine(s)
> that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a casual meal or
> use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04 Verramonte
> Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone. On the basis
> of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01 Woodbridge Cabernet for
> this purpose. So, what are the rest of you using as your house wines?
>
> Mark Lipton

Bill Loftin

Richard Neidich wrote:
> Penfolds Rawsons Reteat Merlot or Cab.
> Ch. St. Jean-Sonoma Chard.
> Fairbanks (Gallo) Port

>>Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
>>time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using as
>>their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive wine(s)
>>that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a casual meal or
>>use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04 Verramonte
>>Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone. On the basis
>>of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01 Woodbridge Cabernet for
>>this purpose. So, what are the rest of you using as your house wines?
>>Mark Lipton

Rafanelli Zin
Armida Poizin
Ch Souverain Savignon Blanc
Bill
Walter L. Preuninger II

2001 Osborne Solaz
2002 Bell'agio Chianti
Shmidt Shone Reisling
2002 Black Box Cab

Walter

Dan the Man

Mark Lipton > wrote in message news:<FCEgd.545824$8_6.346919@attbi_s04>...
> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
> as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
> wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
> casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
> Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
> Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
> using as your house wines?
>
> Mark Lipton

Woodbridge Zin (sometimes the SVS version)
Leonard Kreusch Rheinhessen Auslese
KOG Hill Chambourcin

Dan-O

Dan the Man

Mark Lipton > wrote in message news:<FCEgd.545824$8_6.346919@attbi_s04>...
> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
> as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
> wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
> casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
> Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
> Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
> using as your house wines?
>
> Mark Lipton

Woodbridge Zin (sometimes the SVS version)
Leonard Kreusch Rheinhessen Auslese
KOG Hill Chambourcin

Dan-O
Ed Rasimus

wrote:

>Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
>time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
>as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
>wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
>casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
>Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
>Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
>using as your house wines?
>
>Mark Lipton

A good question, but one which starts with an assumed philosophical
position on wine, i.e. that "good" wine is not for daily drinking and
that something more pedestrian (and cheaper) should be the daily
accompaniment of life. I (he says pompously) eschew that position.

Life is too short to drink cheap (name your poison here.)

With the availability of a globe-ful of wines either within a short
drive of most homes or at the finger-tips on the Internet, I prefer to
explore further afield than a "house" wine. I try a lot of things and
the dinner-time sip might be anything from a $5 Rex Goliath to a $30
Ridge Zin to a $50 California Pinot Noir to (only occasionally) a $120
bottle of socked away Monte Bello Cab.

My "house" wines (yes I have them) are employed in the reverse mode of
the assumption of the question--and arguably in the Biblical
expectation expressed wine at Cana. I serve the best first then
the lesser later.

Some favorites:

Rex Goliath (all four varietals)
Black Box Merlot and Cab
Black Opal Shiraz, Cab and blends
Columbia Crest Riesling and Gewurtz
Tott's Brut
Whiskers Blake Port

And, with the exception of the RG, gotta confess that I've not found a
Pinot Noir that merits much respect at the below $15 US point.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Ed Rasimus

wrote:

>Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
>time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
>as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
>wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
>casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
>Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
>Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
>using as your house wines?
>
>Mark Lipton

A good question, but one which starts with an assumed philosophical
position on wine, i.e. that "good" wine is not for daily drinking and
that something more pedestrian (and cheaper) should be the daily
accompaniment of life. I (he says pompously) eschew that position.

Life is too short to drink cheap (name your poison here.)

With the availability of a globe-ful of wines either within a short
drive of most homes or at the finger-tips on the Internet, I prefer to
explore further afield than a "house" wine. I try a lot of things and
the dinner-time sip might be anything from a $5 Rex Goliath to a $30
Ridge Zin to a $50 California Pinot Noir to (only occasionally) a $120
bottle of socked away Monte Bello Cab.

My "house" wines (yes I have them) are employed in the reverse mode of
the assumption of the question--and arguably in the Biblical
expectation expressed wine at Cana. I serve the best first then
the lesser later.

Some favorites:

Rex Goliath (all four varietals)
Black Box Merlot and Cab
Black Opal Shiraz, Cab and blends
Columbia Crest Riesling and Gewurtz
Tott's Brut
Whiskers Blake Port

And, with the exception of the RG, gotta confess that I've not found a
Pinot Noir that merits much respect at the below $15 US point.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
Michael Pronay

Mark Lipton > wrote:

> As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's time
> once again to find out what our various afw contributors are
> using as their everyday (house) wine.

Although my household consumption is quite high (over 1
bottle/day), I have to confess not having a house wine, and not
having had such an animal for umpteen years. My profession caters
for a constant stream of wine bottles into the cellars - 100%
back-up bottles from tasting between 3000 and 4000 wines a year.
It's nice to know that you will never run out of wine, but the
problem is: Only one single bottle per wine.

M.
Michael Pronay

Mark Lipton > wrote:

> As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's time
> once again to find out what our various afw contributors are
> using as their everyday (house) wine.

Although my household consumption is quite high (over 1
bottle/day), I have to confess not having a house wine, and not
having had such an animal for umpteen years. My profession caters
for a constant stream of wine bottles into the cellars - 100%
back-up bottles from tasting between 3000 and 4000 wines a year.
It's nice to know that you will never run out of wine, but the
problem is: Only one single bottle per wine.

M.

Joe Giorgianni

> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using as
> their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive wine(s)
> that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a casual meal or
> use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04 Verramonte
> Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone. On the basis
> of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01 Woodbridge Cabernet for
> this purpose. So, what are the rest of you using as your house wines?

We're currently drinking the 2002 Chateau Giorgianni Zinfandel.

Of course it took us 20+ years of practice before we could make a wine that
was better than most of the $8 ones in the store.

--
Joe Giorgianni
TheWho.org

"This guitar has seconds to live" Posters

Joe Giorgianni

> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using as
> their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive wine(s)
> that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a casual meal or
> use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04 Verramonte
> Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone. On the basis
> of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01 Woodbridge Cabernet for
> this purpose. So, what are the rest of you using as your house wines?

We're currently drinking the 2002 Chateau Giorgianni Zinfandel.

Of course it took us 20+ years of practice before we could make a wine that
was better than most of the $8 ones in the store.

--
Joe Giorgianni
TheWho.org

"This guitar has seconds to live" Posters

Larry

wrote:

>Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
>time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
>as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
>wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
>casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
>Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
>Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
>using as your house wines?
>
>Mark Lipton

Hi Mark,

Are you referring to the Mondavi Woodbridge? If so, it's $28Cdn.
Can't seem to locate any other W. Cabs on our LCBO site.

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario

cassandra

Red wine

2002 Goat Roti
2001 Chatean Reynella Mclaren Vale shiraz
2000 Casa Lapostalle Cabernet Sauvignon
2002 Acacia Pinot Noir

White wine

2003 Nobilo Marlborough SB
2003 Villa Maria Marlborough SB

Cheers
Cassandra

Mathew Kagis

Red: Pergolas, old vines Tempranillo 2000
White: Wild Goose "Mystic River" Chardonnay '03

Both good value for the $, inexpensive, easy drinking... alone or with
food.

Cheers
Mathew

Snoop

> Mark Lipton:

So, what are the rest of you
> using as your house wines?

2002 Goats do Roam
2003 Horst Sauer Escehdorfer Lump riesling spatlese trocken (sublime
declassified auslese)

Regards

Snoop

Snoop

> Mark Lipton:

So, what are the rest of you
> using as your house wines?

2002 Goats do Roam
2003 Horst Sauer Escehdorfer Lump riesling spatlese trocken (sublime
declassified auslese)

Regards

Snoop

enoavidh

Mumm Cuvee Napa Blanc de noirs
Maybe not every night, but every two weeks or so

d.

enoavidh

Mumm Cuvee Napa Blanc de noirs
Maybe not every night, but every two weeks or so

d.
Kent Feiler

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 15:31:00 -0400, "Joe Giorgianni" >
wrote:

> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using as
> their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive wine(s)
> that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a casual meal or
> use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04 Verramonte
> Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone. On the basis
> of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01 Woodbridge Cabernet for
> this purpose. So, what are the rest of you using as your house wines?

What I tend to do for what we call "Hamburger Wine" is go to the wine
store, grab a grocery cart, and pick up one bottle of a dozen
different wines. Sometimes one sticks out sufficiently to buy more,
sometimes not. The hamburgers generally survive the experience.

Regards,

Kent Feiler
www.KentFeiler.com
Kent Feiler

wrote:

> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using as
> their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive wine(s)
> that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a casual meal or
> use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04 Verramonte
> Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone. On the basis
> of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01 Woodbridge Cabernet for
> this purpose. So, what are the rest of you using as your house wines?

What I tend to do for what we call "Hamburger Wine" is go to the wine
store, grab a grocery cart, and pick up one bottle of a dozen
different wines. Sometimes one sticks out sufficiently to buy more,
sometimes not. The hamburgers generally survive the experience.

Regards,

Kent Feiler
www.KentFeiler.com
Jim Lovejoy

Mark Lipton > wrote in

> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
> as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
> wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
> casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
> Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
> Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
> using as your house wines?
>
> Mark Lipton

Whites:

Marchais Vouvrey

Washington State
(St. Michelle, Hogue, Columbia)
Riesling, Gewurtz, or Chenin Blanc

Red:

Rene Barbier - Mediterranean Red
Caravaggio Motepulciano D'Abruzzo
Rosemount Diamond Shiraz (for a couple of years we were "off" this one, it
had gone down in quality, the last couple of bottles we tasted put it back
in our collection.

Sometimes - if the spice in the spaghetti or pizza masks the hint of
sweetnes, add Corbett Canyon, and Casarsca Cabernet

Chuck Reid

I BUY Ontario wines only, thus.........

Cave Spring Cellars 2002 Reserve Gamay
and
Lenko Estates 2003 Reserve Riesling

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
> as their everyday (house) wine. ....(snipped)...>
> Mark Lipton

Chuck Reid

I BUY Ontario wines only, thus.........

Cave Spring Cellars 2002 Reserve Gamay
and
Lenko Estates 2003 Reserve Riesling

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
> as their everyday (house) wine. ....(snipped)...>
> Mark Lipton

Mathew Kagis

> Coppola Diamond Series Claret
> Rex Goliath Pinot Noir (thanks to this group)
> Ravenswood Vintner's Bend Zin
> Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc

....... Nice seletion of house wines! 2 of the above are on my Restaurant's
wine list (Coppola & Kim Crawford) and sell for a pretty penny.

Impressed
Mathew

Mathew Kagis

> Coppola Diamond Series Claret
> Rex Goliath Pinot Noir (thanks to this group)
> Ravenswood Vintner's Bend Zin
> Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc

....... Nice seletion of house wines! 2 of the above are on my Restaurant's
wine list (Coppola & Kim Crawford) and sell for a pretty penny.

Impressed
Mathew

Larry

>Hi Mark,
>
>Are you referring to the Mondavi Woodbridge? If so, it's $28Cdn.
>Can't seem to locate any other W. Cabs on our LCBO site.

Disregard above. Found it at $12.95 Cdn. Guess I was looking at the
1.5 L size.

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario

Larry

>Hi Mark,
>
>Are you referring to the Mondavi Woodbridge? If so, it's $28Cdn.
>Can't seem to locate any other W. Cabs on our LCBO site.

Disregard above. Found it at $12.95 Cdn. Guess I was looking at the
1.5 L size.

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario

Larry

>Hi Mark,
>
>Are you referring to the Mondavi Woodbridge? If so, it's $28Cdn.
>Can't seem to locate any other W. Cabs on our LCBO site.

Disregard above. Found it at $12.95 Cdn. Guess I was looking at the
1.5 L size.

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario

Xyzsch

>Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
>time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
>as their everyday (house) wine.

snip

Lamoreaux Landing Estate Red (Finger Lakes NV). It's really a pasta red, but
quite fruit forward, maybe carbonic mac. Good with pizza.

Yes, I have to have it shipped in, but 90% of the wine I buy I have shipped in
anyway.

Tom Schellberg