Swooper

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 04:18:45 GMT, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
>time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
>as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
>wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
>casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
>Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
>Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
>using as your house wines?
>
>Mark Lipton

Like many others here, continual pursuit of trying new wines,
including trade 'samples' etc. see me consuming a myriad of wines,
often at the expense of repeated consumption of a particular drop.
However, as value for money or affordable reliable wines, (with
Antipodean influence), are :-

($15-20 AUD)
Giesen Sauv. Blanc,(NZ), Ballast Stone Shiraz, Kidman Cab Sauv.,
Pepperjack Shiraz.

(Under $12 AUD)
Howling Wolves cab. Sauv, Rothbury Estate Blue Label Shiraz, Berseford
'Highwood" Sauv. Blanc, McGuigan Black Label Merlot.

Regards

Swooper
Mark Lipton

Bill Spohn wrote:

>>So, what are the rest of you
>>using as your house wines?

> Castano Hecula and Segura Viudas Lavit (pink, dry bubbly for SWMBO)

You disappoint, Bill. I was expecting you to reveal that the '70 Latour
or '82 LLC was your current house wine...

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Bill Spohn wrote:

>>So, what are the rest of you
>>using as your house wines?

> Castano Hecula and Segura Viudas Lavit (pink, dry bubbly for SWMBO)

You disappoint, Bill. I was expecting you to reveal that the '70 Latour
or '82 LLC was your current house wine...

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Dale Williams wrote:

> All under $8:
> Red
> '02/'03 Borsao
> '02 Iche "Les Heretiques" VdP d'Herault

I could have predicted those two, Dale. Alas, Les Heretiques don't seem
so welcome here in the Bible Belt. Go figger...

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Dale Williams wrote:

> All under $8:
> Red
> '02/'03 Borsao
> '02 Iche "Les Heretiques" VdP d'Herault

I could have predicted those two, Dale. Alas, Les Heretiques don't seem
so welcome here in the Bible Belt. Go figger...

Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton

Bill Loftin wrote:

> Rafanelli Zin

You dog!! I haven't even SEEN Rafanelli's Zins since the mid '90s and
you're consuming them by the case. Grrrr....

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Bill Loftin wrote:

> Rafanelli Zin

You dog!! I haven't even SEEN Rafanelli's Zins since the mid '90s and
you're consuming them by the case. Grrrr....

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Ed Rasimus wrote:

> A good question, but one which starts with an assumed philosophical
> position on wine, i.e. that "good" wine is not for daily drinking and
> that something more pedestrian (and cheaper) should be the daily
> accompaniment of life. I (he says pompously) eschew that position.

I was wondering if I'd get called on that one. We too will pull gems
out of the cellar for even the most modest of occasions, but stil find
the need for good, cheap wines.

> My "house" wines (yes I have them) are employed in the reverse mode of
> the assumption of the question--and arguably in the Biblical
> expectation expressed wine at Cana. I serve the best first then
> the lesser later.

Remind me to show up for your parties on time. :P Actually, we've been
known to do the same, opening house wines at the end of a dinner when
the good stuff has all gone and the guests (and perhaps the hosts, too)
are in no position to appreciate the nuances of a fine wine experience.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Michael Pronay wrote:

> Although my household consumption is quite high (over 1
> bottle/day), I have to confess not having a house wine, and not
> having had such an animal for umpteen years. My profession caters
> for a constant stream of wine bottles into the cellars - 100%
> back-up bottles from tasting between 3000 and 4000 wines a year.
> It's nice to know that you will never run out of wine, but the
> problem is: Only one single bottle per wine.

Ah, we should all have such problems, Michael.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Michael Pronay wrote:

> Although my household consumption is quite high (over 1
> bottle/day), I have to confess not having a house wine, and not
> having had such an animal for umpteen years. My profession caters
> for a constant stream of wine bottles into the cellars - 100%
> back-up bottles from tasting between 3000 and 4000 wines a year.
> It's nice to know that you will never run out of wine, but the
> problem is: Only one single bottle per wine.

Ah, we should all have such problems, Michael.

Mark Lipton

Mark Lipton

Midlife wrote:

> Thanks. It took me a little while to decide what to call 'house wines'
> because we tend more to trying new wines all the time. But, for something
> reasonably priced to drink often, I do keep going back to these four. The
> Rex and Ravenswood (Vintner's bLend, of course) are in the US$6-$8 where we
> live, but the Coppola and Crawford are generally around US$13. It wouldn't
> hurt, though, to replace the Coppola and Crawford for something more at the
> others' price level......... but it has to be something we'd enjoy drinking,
> and we haven't found it yet.

We just bought two bottles of the '04 Kim Crawford SB this weekend for
evaulation. It's been a QPR favorite with us, too, along with the Matua
Valley SB and the Villa Maria Private Bin.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Midlife wrote:

> Thanks. It took me a little while to decide what to call 'house wines'
> because we tend more to trying new wines all the time. But, for something
> reasonably priced to drink often, I do keep going back to these four. The
> Rex and Ravenswood (Vintner's bLend, of course) are in the US$6-$8 where we
> live, but the Coppola and Crawford are generally around US$13. It wouldn't
> hurt, though, to replace the Coppola and Crawford for something more at the
> others' price level......... but it has to be something we'd enjoy drinking,
> and we haven't found it yet.

We just bought two bottles of the '04 Kim Crawford SB this weekend for
evaulation. It's been a QPR favorite with us, too, along with the Matua
Valley SB and the Villa Maria Private Bin.

Mark Lipton
Hunt

In article <FCEgd.545824$8_6.346919@attbi_s04>, says...

>Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
>time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
>as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
>wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
>casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
>Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
>Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
>using as your house wines?
>
>Mark Lipton

Ah, "house wines." We usually did our "slammer Chard" taste-off in the Spring,
when in CO, but now whites are nearly year-round in AZ. The list of "slammers"
follows:
SB - Kim Crawford Marlborough ~US$15
Chard - Edna Valley Paragon Vineyard ~US$10
White blend - Conundrum ~US$20
PN - Acacia Carneros ~US$22
Red blend - Glen Carlou Classiqué RSA ~US$18
Cab - Joseph Phelps Napa ~US$35*
Merlot - Joseph Phelps Napa ~US$30*
Syrah - Voss Napa~US$25, when I can find it
Zin- Peachy Canyon Paso Robles Westside~US$20
Port- Taylor Fladgate 10yr Tawny~US$25

Most of these are bought by case from big box stores, so there is often no "
case discount."
*Designates wine club prices and selections

We end up doing a bottle total, or so per night from this list, depending on
whether a thunderstorm is crossing the valley. On stormy nights, we might up
the total consumption to 2 bottles and only dine on cheese.

Hunt

Hunt

In article <FCEgd.545824$8_6.346919@attbi_s04>, says...

>Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
>time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
>as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
>wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
>casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
>Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
>Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
>using as your house wines?
>
>Mark Lipton

Ah, "house wines." We usually did our "slammer Chard" taste-off in the Spring,
when in CO, but now whites are nearly year-round in AZ. The list of "slammers"
follows:
SB - Kim Crawford Marlborough ~US$15
Chard - Edna Valley Paragon Vineyard ~US$10
White blend - Conundrum ~US$20
PN - Acacia Carneros ~US$22
Red blend - Glen Carlou Classiqué RSA ~US$18
Cab - Joseph Phelps Napa ~US$35*
Merlot - Joseph Phelps Napa ~US$30*
Syrah - Voss Napa~US$25, when I can find it
Zin- Peachy Canyon Paso Robles Westside~US$20
Port- Taylor Fladgate 10yr Tawny~US$25

Most of these are bought by case from big box stores, so there is often no "
case discount."
*Designates wine club prices and selections

We end up doing a bottle total, or so per night from this list, depending on
whether a thunderstorm is crossing the valley. On stormy nights, we might up
the total consumption to 2 bottles and only dine on cheese.

Hunt

Michael Pronay

Mark Lipton > wrote:

>> It's nice to know that you will never run out of wine, but the
>> problem is: Only one single bottle per wine.

> Ah, we should all have such problems, Michael.

You know, there is a standing invitation to afw regulars to help me
preventing my cellar from bursting ;-)

M.

Michael Pronay

Mark Lipton > wrote:

>> It's nice to know that you will never run out of wine, but the
>> problem is: Only one single bottle per wine.

> Ah, we should all have such problems, Michael.

You know, there is a standing invitation to afw regulars to help me
preventing my cellar from bursting ;-)

M.
Dale Williams

Very interesting to see everyone's replies.

So here's a followup question- how often do you drink these wines? Is your
"house wine" something you drink on a weekly (or almost daily) basis? Or do you
use it more as a standby backup?

In my case, as one might gather from my...er.. prolific TNs, these wines are
more backups- always available, but probably don't open more than 1 or 2 of
each a month. I like the Borsao, but would quickly get bored if I had it
weekly. I have these wines so that Betsy can go to cellar and grab something
for cooking if I'm not available for consultation, without me having a heart
attack upon discovering that a '88 Chambolle 1er or '89 Gruaud was now sauce.
Even with inexpensive wines, I prefer to try the new rather than rest on the
tried and true.

My attitude reminds me of a post not so long ago by Bill Spohn. He was dining
with a friend (I think I have this right, Bill correct me if I'm wrong) and
they shared a bottle of mature Bordeaux. It was at its peak, really singing. So
then the companion wanted to order ANOTHER BOTTLE OF THE SAME WINE!!!!! Bill
was horrified. That's the sign of the geek- while one is always looking for
great wine, the search is half the fun.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Martin Schulz

In case anyone is intersted in Austrian house wines.

White: Grüner Veltliner, Weinviertel DAC, e.g. Bauer (Jetzelsdorf) EUR 5
/ 0,75l
Rosé: Leberwurst (Weinviertel) EUR 1,75 / l
Red: Zweigelt or Blaufränkisch, Mittelburgenland, Wieder EUR 6
Torrevento, Salice Salentino, Puglia EUR 3,75
Petroio, Chianti Classico, Tuscany EUR ??

Vincent

Mark Lipton wrote....

> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
> as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
> wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
> casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
> Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
> Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
> using as your house wines?

We prefer variety more than one particular wine over and over again, so I
can't rightfully consider any of these as "everyday" wines. However, here is
a list of the recent cases I've purchased over the past four months that we
are drinking (buy and hold wines are excluded).

These probably best fit the ones you are asking about....
Hess Select Chardonnay
Kris Pinot Grigio
BV Costal Chardonnay
Vega Sindoa Chardonnay
Fat ******* Sauvignon Blanc
Kenwood Russian River Pinot Noir

We are drinking these up "quicker" now, as they are all great, but seem to
be declining....
1966 Pichon Baron
1966 Clerc Milon
1975 La Lagune

Finally, some wonderful bargains we couldn't pass up....
1998 La Pointe
2000 Lagrange Clinet

\/

Vincent

Mark Lipton wrote....

> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
> as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
> wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
> casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
> Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
> Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
> using as your house wines?

We prefer variety more than one particular wine over and over again, so I
can't rightfully consider any of these as "everyday" wines. However, here is
a list of the recent cases I've purchased over the past four months that we
are drinking (buy and hold wines are excluded).

These probably best fit the ones you are asking about....
Hess Select Chardonnay
Kris Pinot Grigio
BV Costal Chardonnay
Vega Sindoa Chardonnay
Fat ******* Sauvignon Blanc
Kenwood Russian River Pinot Noir

We are drinking these up "quicker" now, as they are all great, but seem to
be declining....
1966 Pichon Baron
1966 Clerc Milon
1975 La Lagune

Finally, some wonderful bargains we couldn't pass up....
1998 La Pointe
2000 Lagrange Clinet

\/

Mathew Kagis

"Midlife" > wrote in message
> in article X29hd.35718$df2.33489@edtnps89, Mathew Kagis at
> wrote on 10/31/04 9:13 AM:
>

> >> Coppola Diamond Series Claret
> >> Rex Goliath Pinot Noir (thanks to this group)
> >> Ravenswood Vintner's Bend Zin
> >> Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc

> > ...... Nice seletion of house wines! 2 of the above are on my

Restaurant's
> > wine list (Coppola & Kim Crawford) and sell for a pretty penny.
> >
> > Impressed
> > Mathew
> >

> Thanks. It took me a little while to decide what to call 'house wines'
> because we tend more to trying new wines all the time. But, for something
> reasonably priced to drink often, I do keep going back to these four. The
> Rex and Ravenswood (Vintner's bLend, of course) are in the US$6-$8 where

we
> live, but the Coppola and Crawford are generally around US$13. It

wouldn't
> hurt, though, to replace the Coppola and Crawford for something more at

the
> others' price level......... but it has to be something we'd enjoy

drinking,
> and we haven't found it yet.

Sadly, the Kim Crawford is roughly double that price here in BC & The
Coppola comes in at almost Triple.... (sigh). My 'cheapie' house wines both
come in under $13 per bottle. Pergolas $10.40, Wild Goose $12.something.
I'm always searching for those under $15 gems. Of course, I wish my
personal finances could handle the $150 gems..... one day.

Cheers
Mathew

Larry

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:26:40 -0500, "Chuck Reid"
> wrote:

>I BUY Ontario wines only, thus.........
>
>Cave Spring Cellars 2002 Reserve Gamay
>and

Hi Chuck,

Love the CSGamay R also. But at $17, I would not be opening these up
daily or even every second day. Think I'll get out of the vintage
section for a while and go on a hunt for the $13 bottle.(but with the
$17-20) taste ;-}

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario
Larry

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:26:40 -0500, "Chuck Reid"
> wrote:

>I BUY Ontario wines only, thus.........
>
>Cave Spring Cellars 2002 Reserve Gamay
>and

Hi Chuck,

Love the CSGamay R also. But at $17, I would not be opening these up
daily or even every second day. Think I'll get out of the vintage
section for a while and go on a hunt for the $13 bottle.(but with the
$17-20) taste ;-}

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario
Chuck Reid

> Hi Chuck,
>
> Love the CSGamay R also. But at $17, I would not be opening these up
> daily or even every second day. Think I'll get out of the vintage
> section for a while and go on a hunt for the $13 bottle.(but with the
> $17-20) taste ;-}
>
> All the best,
>
> Larry
> Southern Ontario

If you find it Larry, please don't keep it a secret!!!
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

Eric Reichenbach

I always love this poll. It brings out so many new ideas for wines.

Haven't settled on a white yet. House varietal is SB.
Red - Mark West Edna Valley Pinot Noir 2002. After sale and case
discount, it was just under $9!

Martin Schulz

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> Very interesting to see everyone's replies.
>
> So here's a followup question- how often do you drink these wines? Is your
> "house wine" something you drink on a weekly (or almost daily) basis? Or

do you
> use it more as a standby backup?

My view of a house wine is a rel. cheap, simple, enjoyable drink for early
consumption. When I buy a wine by case that does not mean I want to drink a
bottle every week for the next three months. It usually means I want to
watch the evolution for the next 20 years. So my rule of thumb is (seemingly
paradox): the higher the price, the higher the stock to buy (usually price
correlates with longevity).

> In my case, as one might gather from my...er.. prolific TNs, these wines

are
> more backups- always available, but probably don't open more than 1 or 2

of
> each a month. I like the Borsao, but would quickly get bored if I had it
> weekly. I have these wines so that Betsy can go to cellar and grab

something
> for cooking if I'm not available for consultation, without me having a

heart
> attack upon discovering that a '88 Chambolle 1er or '89 Gruaud was now

sauce.
> Even with inexpensive wines, I prefer to try the new rather than rest on

the
> tried and true.

Fully agree - variatio delectat.

> My attitude reminds me of a post not so long ago by Bill Spohn. He was

dining
> with a friend (I think I have this right, Bill correct me if I'm wrong)

and
> they shared a bottle of mature Bordeaux. It was at its peak, really

singing. So
> then the companion wanted to order ANOTHER BOTTLE OF THE SAME WINE!!!!!

Bill
> was horrified. That's the sign of the geek- while one is always looking

for
> great wine, the search is half the fun.

Another anecdote from the food section: Some twenty years ago I went to a
Mexican restaurant with a friend. We ordered our meals an both liked what we
got. My friend called the waiter and ordered exactly the same dish for the
second time. I was flabbergasted.

Martin

Tom AZ

Mark,

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
> as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
> wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
> casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
> Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
> Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
> using as your house wines?
>
> Mark Lipton

Our "house" wines vary somewhat, but tend to rotate around the following:
McManis 2002 Syrah - a light Calibornia wine, good for quaffing and at a
fairly decent QPR in my estimation ~$9.00US)
Paringa 2002 Shiraz - when we want something a little heavier with a spicey
element (~$10US)
Waterbrook 2002 Melange - decent red table wine somewhat of a bordeaux style
blend (~$12.00US)
La Boca 2002 Malbec - a rather light Malbec from Argentina. Trader Joe's
offers this one, and it is quite a step up from their 2/3 buck Chuck
(~6.00US)

Tom AZ

Tom AZ

Mark,

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
> as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
> wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
> casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
> Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
> Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
> using as your house wines?
>
> Mark Lipton

Our "house" wines vary somewhat, but tend to rotate around the following:
McManis 2002 Syrah - a light Calibornia wine, good for quaffing and at a
fairly decent QPR in my estimation ~$9.00US)
Paringa 2002 Shiraz - when we want something a little heavier with a spicey
element (~$10US)
Waterbrook 2002 Melange - decent red table wine somewhat of a bordeaux style
blend (~$12.00US)
La Boca 2002 Malbec - a rather light Malbec from Argentina. Trader Joe's
offers this one, and it is quite a step up from their 2/3 buck Chuck
(~6.00US)

Tom AZ

Hunt

In article >, alfazert@nwlinkdotcom says...

>Mark,
>
>"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
>> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
>> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
>> as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
>> wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
>> casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
>> Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
>> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
>> Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
>> using as your house wines?
>>
>> Mark Lipton

>Our "house" wines vary somewhat, but tend to rotate around the following:
>McManis 2002 Syrah - a light Calibornia wine, good for quaffing and at a
>fairly decent QPR in my estimation ~$9.00US)
>Paringa 2002 Shiraz - when we want something a little heavier with a spicey
>element (~$10US)
>Waterbrook 2002 Melange - decent red table wine somewhat of a bordeaux style
>blend (~$12.00US)
>La Boca 2002 Malbec - a rather light Malbec from Argentina. Trader Joe's
>offers this one, and it is quite a step up from their 2/3 buck Chuck
>(~6.00US)
>
>Tom AZ

Tom,

While I'm not a big fan of most Merlots, McManis Family does a nice one, and
at about the same $ as the Syrah, and is worth the price.

Hunt

Karen O'Mara

"Martin Schulz" > wrote in message >...
> Another anecdote from the food section: Some twenty years ago I went to a
> Mexican restaurant with a friend. We ordered our meals an both liked what we
> got. My friend called the waiter and ordered exactly the same dish for the
> second time. I was flabbergasted.

Did he order the same dish to take home or eat there?...

I can kind of see doing this (ordering the same dish) if you're an
out-of-towner and want to take some pizza home from NYC, or jambalaya
home from NOLA, or something like that.

Karen <current 'house' Smoking Loon Cabernet '02>

Kirk-O-Scottland

Geyser Peak sauvignon blanc (three years running)
Fetzer Pinotchio (pinot noir) (used to be Cristom Marjorie Vineyard,
frequently use Sebastiani as well)
Sebastiani cabernet sauvignon (frequently intermingled with Liberty School,
Fetzer Bon Terra, and Beringer)
Franciscan merlot
Paul Jaboulet Parallele 45 Cotes du Rhone

"Tom AZ" <alfazert@nwlinkdotcom> wrote in message
> Mark,
>
> "Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
>> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that it's
>> time once again to find out what our various afw contributors are using
>> as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean inexpensive
>> wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and might open with a
>> casual meal or use for cooking. Currently, our house wines are the '04
>> Verramonte Sauvignon Blanc and the '01 Dom L'Espigouette Cotes du Rhone.
>> On the basis of a recent tasting, I might also pick up some '01
>> Woodbridge Cabernet for this purpose. So, what are the rest of you
>> using as your house wines?
>>
>> Mark Lipton

> Our "house" wines vary somewhat, but tend to rotate around the following:
> McManis 2002 Syrah - a light Calibornia wine, good for quaffing and at a
> fairly decent QPR in my estimation ~$9.00US)
> Paringa 2002 Shiraz - when we want something a little heavier with a
> spicey
> element (~$10US)
> Waterbrook 2002 Melange - decent red table wine somewhat of a bordeaux
> style
> blend (~$12.00US)
> La Boca 2002 Malbec - a rather light Malbec from Argentina. Trader Joe's
> offers this one, and it is quite a step up from their 2/3 buck Chuck
> (~6.00US)
>
> Tom AZ

Dale Williams

>Paul Jaboulet Parallele 45 Cotes du Rhone

What vintage of P45 are you drinking? I was thinking the other day I should
give the 2001 a try. This used to be my fallback CdR, but didn't seem to do so
well in some recent vintages -the '95(especially) & '99 were worth looking
for; I was far less impressed with say the '00. Even with the '99, there was
the issue of bottle variation. Have you experienced this? I've opened bottles
back to back that were quite different (the '99 Jalets Crozes was even worse-
truly hard to believe the bottles were same wine). Unsure how Jaboulet bottles.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Kirk-O-Scottland

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> >Paul Jaboulet Parallele 45 Cotes du Rhone

> What vintage of P45 are you drinking? I was thinking the other day I
> should
> give the 2001 a try. This used to be my fallback CdR, but didn't seem to
> do so
> well in some recent vintages -the '95(especially) & '99 were worth
> looking
> for; I was far less impressed with say the '00. Even with the '99, there
> was
> the issue of bottle variation. Have you experienced this? I've opened
> bottles
> back to back that were quite different (the '99 Jalets Crozes was even
> worse-
> truly hard to believe the bottles were same wine). Unsure how Jaboulet
> bottles.
>
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Current supply is 2001, which is drinking nicely! I found the same thing in
the `99s though and stopped drinking the P45 for awhile.

Kirk-O-Scottland

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> >Paul Jaboulet Parallele 45 Cotes du Rhone

> What vintage of P45 are you drinking? I was thinking the other day I
> should
> give the 2001 a try. This used to be my fallback CdR, but didn't seem to
> do so
> well in some recent vintages -the '95(especially) & '99 were worth
> looking
> for; I was far less impressed with say the '00. Even with the '99, there
> was
> the issue of bottle variation. Have you experienced this? I've opened
> bottles
> back to back that were quite different (the '99 Jalets Crozes was even
> worse-
> truly hard to believe the bottles were same wine). Unsure how Jaboulet
> bottles.
>
> Dale
>
> Dale Williams
> Drop "damnspam" to reply

Current supply is 2001, which is drinking nicely! I found the same thing in
the `99s though and stopped drinking the P45 for awhile.

Max Hauser

I'll answer the recent question about "house wines" via the earlier thread
on it.

Mark Lipton > in
> Hello, All. As I recently promised in another thread, I feel that
> it's time once again to find out what our various afw contributors
> are using as their everyday (house) wine. By this term, I mean
> inexpensive wine(s) that you buy by the case or half-case and
> might open with a casual meal or use for cooking. ...

More info on Larose-Trintaudon is below. But first: This is a good
question for a wine forum, I think. Here are some current wines I can
answer with. I don't quite think of them as "everyday" because they have
character, and they don't get used every day. (Also, "everyday" ought in
principle to be a good bulk or jug wine as found in Europe, I think:
something sound but simple -- and preferably well below US $10 per bottle.)

- 2001 Malbec, Dolium, Mendoza (Argentina). Red of the dark, generous
school, dark berry fruit, soft tannin. US $10.80 in August 2004 at an
importer-retailer in my region, www.france-wine.com .

- 1999 Josef Rosch Trittenheimer Apotheke Spätlese (a Mosel Riesling).
When on the market, early 2001 I think, it was on sale circa $10 at a local
importer-retailer, Dee Vine Wines of San Francisco (www.dvw.com). I got
some extra as "house Riesling" and am glad I did. Dee Vine continues to
import premium German producers such as Rosch, Loosen, Basserman-Jordan,
etc. Recently I got some of the 2003 Rosch Leiwener Klostergarten Kabinett
at $14 -- beautifully structured, versatile, full of flavor, durable. (So
maybe I will answer the same question with that wine, in 2008 or 2009.)

- Random vintages of Ch. Larose-Trintaudon from the 1990s. (At one point,
February 2004, the Trader Joe's retail chain was dumping its 1999 Ch. L-T,
first $10 a bottle, then $6. 1999 is a fairly young vintage now.)

A little more on Chteau Larose-Trintaudon, "the largest estate in the
Médoc" and a quality moderately-priced Bordeaux for decades -- the one
with the dark-red label. In case anyone missed them, re-posted below are
comments from this newsgroup (or its direct predecessor) in earlier years.
Note the trouble in spelling "Trintaudon."

Charles Hunt, 22-Apr-85:
Newsgroups: net.wines

Right now, there are dozens of fine bordeaux available ... For small
estates (called "petit chateaux"), there are many available for <= $6;
I personally recommend: La Tour de By, Fourcas Hosten, Fourcas
Dupree, Greysac, Larose Trantadon, de Pez, Ormes de Pez, Marbuzet,
Haut Marbuzet, Phelan Segur, Carbonnieux, Smith Haute Lafitte,
Plagnac, Bel-Air, ... they all have a "Chateau" before the name to
impress your friends, but are mostly really just farms.

Stephen P Pope, 28 Feb 86:
Subject: Cheap Bordeaux

I would like to add a few -- Ch. Larose Trintadoun, Ch. Le Crock,
and Ch. Potensac.

From: Charles Hunt, 3 Mar 86:

I forgot about Larose Trintadon (Haut Medoc). I agree that it's an
excellent Bordeaux for a modest price (the '78 is unreal... if you
can find it).

This chateau is owned by the firm which runs Marques de Caceres
in the Rioja-Alta of Spain. The similarities in style (despite the
differing grape varieties) is not coincidence. For a fun experience
(when you have somebody over for dinner), try a side-by-side
comparison of the 1981 Marques-de-Caceres Red with a '79 or '81
Larose-Trintadon. It makes it quite evident what a real bargain the
Rioja is at only about 5 bucks per jug.

[Note: Ownership changed in 1986. -- MH 4/05]