FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Sangiovese, Schiava, Riesling, Verdicchio, and Gamay (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/415695-tn-sangiovese-schiava-riesling.html)

DaleW 19-02-2012 07:06 PM

TN: Sangiovese, Schiava, Riesling, Verdicchio, and Gamay

With farfalle with veal, porcini, and spinach, the 2007 San Fillppo "Lo Scorno" Rosso di Montalcino, Black cherry, slightly offkilter acids, a bit short. B-/C+

With herbed tuna steak, the 2009 Nusserhof "Elda" , Doesn't say on label but think this is all Schiava.. Bright fruits, spice, smoked meats, mushrooms. Lightbodied but longfinished, very nice wine I will buy again. B++

The 2009 Schafer-Frolich Felseneck Spatlese Goldkapsel was a gorgeous Riesling, brilliant acids holding up a powerful framework, simultaneously airy/ethereal and deep/fullbodied. Drinks well over 3 nights, a nice companion on night 2 to a white snapper in miso (replacing a fatter Semillon noted elsewhere). Beautiful fruit, mineral undertones, complex and long. A-/A

With lemon pasta with roasted shrimp, the 2010 Colle Stefano Verdicchio di Matelica. Citrus and melon, crisp minerally finish, hint of almond,. very satisfying. B

I was worried the 2009 Drouhin Morgon might have closed down, but it was open; however came across as riper and more primary than I remembered. Ripe sweet fruit, there's some tannic structure, but seems simple now. B-, but might be a stage

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.