Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wineries on Waiheke Island

Hi... and sorry for not having contributed actively to this NG for some
time, but I think your advice on the following topic will be useful:

My wife and I will be touring the North Island of NZ. We will start with
a few days of dolce far niente on Waiheke. 23 wine estates... so we
won't spend four days just snorkeling!

Any clues about the wineries to visit (and those to skip) would be
greatly appreciated - as most are unknown in Europe (I imagine they can
easily get rid of their production in the Auckland area).

My limited knowledge of kiwi wines tells me that almost everyone makes a
good Sauvignon, but are there remarkable producers of Shiraz or Bordeaux
blends on Waiheke?

Would also be happy with some restaurant recommendations!

All the best & thanks

Yves

Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 PM posted to alt.food.wine

"Yves" wrote in message
| Hi... and sorry for not having contributed actively to this NG for
some
| time, but I think your advice on the following topic will be useful:
|
| My wife and I will be touring the North Island of NZ. We will start
with
| a few days of dolce far niente on Waiheke. 23 wine estates... so we
| won't spend four days just snorkeling!
|
| Any clues about the wineries to visit (and those to skip) would be
| greatly appreciated - as most are unknown in Europe (I imagine they
can
| easily get rid of their production in the Auckland area).
|
| My limited knowledge of kiwi wines tells me that almost everyone makes
| good Sauvignon, but are there remarkable producers of Shiraz or
Bordeaux
| blends on Waiheke?
|
| Would also be happy with some restaurant recommendations!
|
| All the best & thanks
|
| Yves

Hello Yves,
Waihekes best wines are bordeaux blends and syrahs.
Chardonnay probably best of the whites, although some nice viognier
examples.
Many of the wineries have their own restaurants, and are some of the
most popular
and most recommended on the island. Pricing is somewhat high.

Good starting point is;
http://www.waihekewine.co.nz/

My favorites are;
www.mudbrick.co.nz
www.kennedypointvineyard.com
www.obsidian.co.nz
www.stonyridge.com
www.tewhau.com
www.awaroa.co.nz
www.passagerockwines.co.nz

cheers greybeard

Old 13-02-2012, 02:39 AM posted to alt.food.wine

"greybeard" wrote .

Waiheke's best wines are bordeaux blends and syrahs.
Chardonnay probably best of the whites, although some nice
viognier examples.
Many of the wineries have their own restaurants, and are some
of the most popular and most recommended on the island.
Pricing is somewhat high.

I agree with Greybeard's assessment.

This is a great resource -
http://www.waihekewine.co.nz/Islando...Vineyards.aspx

Waiheke Island is an extremely popular weekend or day visit for
Aucklanders - it is an easy half hour ferry trip from downtown Auckland.

The (passenger) ferry arrives at Matiatia on the extreme western end of the
island.

There are buses available, but distances are not too difficult if you feel
like cycling.

I usually bring my car on the vehicular ferry, some might say laziness - I
prefer the convenience.

"Goldies" used to be the renowned Goldwater Estate before the owners sold
the brand, and gifted the estate on the island to the University of
Auckland.

--
st.helier

Old 13-02-2012, 03:02 PM posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 12, 4:37*am, Yves wrote:
Hi... and sorry for not having contributed actively to this NG for some
time, but I think your advice on the following topic will be useful:

My wife and I will be touring the North Island of NZ. We will start with
a few days of dolce far niente on Waiheke. 23 wine estates... so we
won't spend four days just snorkeling!

Any clues about the wineries to visit (and those to skip) would be
greatly appreciated - as most are unknown in Europe (I imagine they can
easily get rid of their production in the Auckland area).

My limited knowledge of kiwi wines tells me that almost everyone makes a
good Sauvignon, but are there remarkable producers of Shiraz or Bordeaux
blends on Waiheke?

Would also be happy with some restaurant recommendations!

All the best & thanks

Yves

We will be in New Zealand February 2013 but on a cruise around the
country so may have more limited time to see wineries though will be
trying to get to as many as possible with day trips. Also don't know
how many wineries are short trips from Sydney as we will be there 3
days.

Old 13-02-2012, 08:17 PM posted to alt.food.wine

I see that Hunter Valley is a 2hrs drive from Sydney and that there are at
least 142 wineries there, so you should easily find something for you.
Anders

"lleichtman" skrev i melding

Old 14-02-2012, 05:57 AM posted to alt.food.wine

Anders TÝrneskog wrote:

We will be in New Zealand February 2013 but on a cruise around the
country so may have more limited time to see wineries though will be
trying to get to as many as possible with day trips. Also don't know
how many wineries are short trips from Sydney as we will be there 3
days.

Yes. We were just in the Hunter and drove back to Sydney from Pokolbin,
the "heart" of the Hunter Valley. Allot 2 hour and 20 minutes for the
drive if you plan on obeying the speed limits.

Mark Lipton

2 newly found wineries...but not new wineries. Richard Neidich Wine 0 23-10-2007 11:02 PM
Map of wineries [email protected] Wine 4 04-02-2007 03:49 PM
Waiheke Wine Festival TN 's long, sorry greybeard Wine 0 17-02-2006 01:30 AM
Long Island, New York wineries Midlife Wine 1 01-06-2005 06:18 PM
List of Wineries VIJAY Winemaking 0 01-12-2003 04:39 AM