Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Dinner with the Hoares

Today, Ian and Jacquie Hoare arrived in Christchurch fresh from a trip
to Thailand and accepted our offer of a room for the night. To
celebrate, I made a paella Valenciana (or as close to it as I could
come) and we opened a few local wines:

NV Quartz Reef "Methode Traditionelle" (Central Otago)
n: green apples, minerals
p: crisp, fairly rich, fine mousse, fairly dry

Ian said that this wine had a lot of Pinot Noir character, but later
confessed that he'd known from the label what to expect. Quite a
pleasant wine, but nothing profound.

2009 Wild Earth Pinot Noir (Central Otago)
n: dark fruit, spice
p: decent acidity, medium body, soft texture

I had purchased this wine on the recommendation of a local retailer who
thought that it would comport with my tastes in Pinot Noir, and I opened
it tonight to see if the winery would be worth visiting with Ian and
Jacquie next week. While it was a bit darker complected and bigger than
is my wont, it still bears more investigation ;-)

With some cherries after dinner:

2010 Clearwater "Sea View" (Hawke's Bay)
n: cherries, stones
p: off dry, balancing acidity, slightly tannic, clean finish

Ian and Jacquie had brought this from their travels up North in NZ and
quite a curiosity it proved to be! A late harvest Merlot with residual
sugar, it was only moderately sweet and not at all Port-like, but quite
good with the cherries and positively brilliant with some dark
chocolate. Ian likened it to a vin doux naturelle from Rasteau.

All is all, a very fun night was had of food, wine and great company.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Dinner with the Hoares

On Feb 10, 2:42*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Today, Ian and Jacquie Hoare arrived in Christchurch fresh from a trip
> to Thailand and accepted our offer of a room for the night. *To
> celebrate, I made a paella Valenciana (or as close to it as I could
> come) and we opened a few local wines:
>
> NV Quartz Reef "Methode Traditionelle" (Central Otago)
> n: green apples, minerals
> p: crisp, fairly rich, fine mousse, fairly dry
>
> Ian said that this wine had a lot of Pinot Noir character, but later
> confessed that he'd known from the label what to expect. *Quite a
> pleasant wine, but nothing profound.
>
> 2009 Wild Earth Pinot Noir (Central Otago)
> n: dark fruit, spice
> p: decent acidity, medium body, soft texture
>
> I had purchased this wine on the recommendation of a local retailer who
> thought that it would comport with my tastes in Pinot Noir, and I opened
> it tonight to see if the winery would be worth visiting with Ian and
> Jacquie next week. *While it was a bit darker complected and bigger than
> is my wont, it still bears more investigation ;-)
>
> With some cherries after dinner:
>
> 2010 Clearwater "Sea View" (Hawke's Bay)
> n: cherries, stones
> p: off dry, balancing acidity, slightly tannic, clean finish
>
> Ian and Jacquie had brought this from their travels up North in NZ and
> quite a curiosity it proved to be! *A late harvest Merlot with residual
> sugar, it was only moderately sweet and not at all Port-like, but quite
> good with the cherries and positively brilliant with some dark
> chocolate. *Ian likened it to a vin doux naturelle from Rasteau.
>
> All is all, a very fun night was had of food, wine and great company.
>
> Mark Lipton

So are you in New Zealand for a while?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 04:42:07 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Today, Ian and Jacquie Hoare arrived in Christchurch fresh from a trip
>to Thailand and accepted our offer of a room for the night. To
>celebrate, I made a paella Valenciana (or as close to it as I could
>come) and we opened a few local wines:
>
>NV Quartz Reef "Methode Traditionelle" (Central Otago)
>n: green apples, minerals
>p: crisp, fairly rich, fine mousse, fairly dry
>

>Ian said that this wine had a lot of Pinot Noir character, but later
>confessed that he'd known from the label what to expect. Quite a
>pleasant wine, but nothing profound.
>

>2009 Wild Earth Pinot Noir (Central Otago)
>n: dark fruit, spice
>p: decent acidity, medium body, soft texture
>
>I had purchased this wine on the recommendation of a local retailer who
>thought that it would comport with my tastes in Pinot Noir, and I opened
>it tonight to see if the winery would be worth visiting with Ian and
>Jacquie next week. While it was a bit darker complected and bigger than
>is my wont, it still bears more investigation ;-)
>
>With some cherries after dinner:
>
>2010 Clearwater "Sea View" (Hawke's Bay)
>n: cherries, stones
>p: off dry, balancing acidity, slightly tannic, clean finish
>
>Ian and Jacquie had brought this from their travels up North in NZ and
>quite a curiosity it proved to be! A late harvest Merlot with residual
>sugar, it was only moderately sweet and not at all Port-like, but quite
>good with the cherries and positively brilliant with some dark
>chocolate. Ian likened it to a vin doux naturelle from Rasteau.
>
>All is all, a very fun night was had of food, wine and great company.
>
>Mark Lipton

OK we offically envy you. and Hello to the Hoare's. . . . Hope things
are quiet in Christchurch during your stay. Do try to get to Dunedin
during your stay. marvelous place. Queenstown is nice but you may find
Wanaka to be quieter. (The drive between the two on the mountain road
is absolutely inspiring.)
Posted to alt.food.wine

lleichtman wrote:

> So are you in New Zealand for a while?

Until mid-April, Larry. I'll be filing periodic reports on the wines we
drink and wineries we visit while we're out here.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter wrote:

> OK we offically envy you. and Hello to the Hoare's. . . . Hope things
> are quiet in Christchurch during your stay. Do try to get to Dunedin
> during your stay. marvelous place. Queenstown is nice but you may find
> Wanaka to be quieter. (The drive between the two on the mountain road
> is absolutely inspiring.)

Ian, Jacquie and I will rendezvous in Q'town next Sunday for two days of
tasting in Wanaka, Cromwell/Bannockburn and Gibbston Valley. Report to
be duly filed. Jean, Andrew and I took in Dunedin (loved it, and the
Otago Peninsula) as well as Mt. Cook and Invercargill. Still to come:
Milford Sound, Franz Josef and fly fishing somewhere in Canterbury ;-)
Oh, and the N Island, too ;-)

Mark Lipton

Quick Thanksgiving Post-Dinner Snack After Noon Dinner Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 2 26-11-2011 04:05 PM
Drinks before dinner and wine with dinner... maxine in ri General Cooking 20 08-09-2009 07:13 AM
TN: Hoares in NY Pt.2, Blue Hill at Stone Barns Dale Williams Wine 8 14-12-2004 07:01 PM
TN: Hoares in NY Dale Williams Wine 5 14-12-2004 08:49 AM
October Lunch (Hoares in Attendance) Bill Spohn Wine 0 23-10-2004 03:39 PM