Posted to alt.food.wine,rec.food.drink

Default buttery Chard

The wine reviewers like to describe a wine as
'buttery', almost always Chardonnay. I drink chard
often, but don't know what that means.

What's the converse of buttery - cream cheesey?

Can anybody suggest two Chards, one buttery,
the other not, which I can taste side by side?
Labels and vintages, please -

--
Rich
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Buttery" notes are typically a sign of malolactic fermentation (malic acids to lactic acid, the lactic is a clue). One product of ML I believe (where's Lipton, what time is it in NZ?) is the same substance used to make movie theater popcorn "butter."

LOts of buttery choices. La Crema, Verner, or Murphy-Goode are a few. Or Kistler or Marcassin if you have the bucks.

For non-buttery, I'd suggest Montelena. Mayacamas,or Forman
Posted to alt.food.wine

well, I went to see if I could find the name of the compound I referred to.. I found a thread where Dr. Lipton mentions it (diacetyl, though he says microwave popcorn not movie theater). But interestingly the OP is the same guy. Short memory!

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/alt.food.wine/buttery$20popcorn/alt.food.wine/wkmdmoFe47g/57XDIoWkmQEJ
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 09:19:05 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
wrote:

> "Buttery" notes are typically a sign of malolactic fermentation (malic acids to lactic acid, the lactic is a clue). One product of ML I believe (where's Lipton, what time is it in NZ?) is the same substance used to make movie theater popcorn "butter."

Yes, but I always think of it as more like butterscotch than butter.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message

|(where's Lipton, what time is it in NZ?)

GMT +13. NZ summer time i.e. daylight saving is happening.
Strong ENSO, weather is very wet! Not looking good for grape growing.
Good for milk however.

cheers greybeard

Posted to alt.food.wine

greybeard wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in message
>

> |(where's Lipton, what time is it in NZ?)
>

> GMT +13. NZ summer time i.e. daylight saving is happening.
> Strong ENSO, weather is very wet! Not looking good for grape growing.
> Good for milk however.

Which translates to EST -6 hr + 1 day if you get my drift. IOW if you
look at my posting time on your newsreader, Dale, you'll find that it
registers as 4:54 AM on Jan. 21, whereas my clock reads as 10:54 PM (on
Jan. 21).

In re the OP, yes, diacetyl is the compound, and the wines suggested
will illustrate its presence very well. French Chablis is the classic
counterexample, of course.

Mark Lipton
(from beautiful Dunedin, NZ)

buttery Chard RichD General 0 20-01-2012 05:31 AM
Buttery Popovers Carolyn Ranker Recipes (moderated) 0 04-06-2008 02:47 AM
Buttery Chardonnay Requested [email protected] Wine 21 28-02-2005 04:27 PM
"buttery" chardonnay question [email protected] Wine 20 18-12-2004 11:09 PM
looking for buttery (malolactic) chardonnays Tom S Wine 7 22-07-2004 06:40 PM