Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Nahe, Tuscany, Burg, and more

Betsy and her mom got into JFK about 9 PM Friday, we dropped her mother at her sister's house, then we had a late dinner- lobster salad with green beans, arugula, and a citrusy dressing. Wine was the 2009 Henri Boillot Bourgogne Blanc. Fuller style, Bosc pear and a hint of butterscotch, some pleasant babyfat but not flabby. Good with the lobster. B/B+

Saturday night we went to some close friends' home to celebrate the high school graduation and start of college for their son, who has had some epic struggles. Appetizers of hummus, Brooklyn "lard bread", soppresata, olives, etc. Then a beef tenderloin and a spinach/sausage lasagna.

NV Gaston Chiquet Champagne Brut
Fresh, light, easy. Apples, honeysuckle, just a little bit of bread yeast. B/B+

1994 Montevertine Riserva
I had a bottle of this a couple years ago that maybe showed a bit of damage, this (different source) was really much better, a very fine showing for a not so acclaimed vintage. Cherries, rose petals, leather. Good acidity, fragrant, long. Easily my WOTN A-/B+

2009 Cameron Hughes "Lot 300" Cabernet Sauvignon
For me this is a wine to define gloppy. Heavy, sweet fruit, thick and oaky. About as not my style as one can get. C

2007 Roger Perrin "Cuvee Prestige" Cotes du Rhone
After the sweet and heavy CS, I flinched a bit at '07 S. Rhone, but this was not over the top. Red fruit, full but not especially jammy, some underbrush, maybe just a hint of brett. Tastes like a midbodied CdP, B

2010 Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Kabinett Riesling
Lime, grapefruit, rocky notes. Bright acdity, good length, but not quite as arresting as I'd have hoped. Still, very very good. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 01/16/2012 01:08 AM, DaleW wrote:
> 2007 Roger Perrin "Cuvee Prestige" Cotes du Rhone After the sweet and
> heavy CS, I flinched a bit at '07 S. Rhone, but this was not over the
> top. Red fruit, full but not especially jammy, some underbrush, maybe
> just a hint of brett. Tastes like a midbodied CdP, B

We liked this wine a lot, and bought a few cases. Some left but mostly
mags, which will be for the long haul.

It's made from old vines that go through the exact same vinification as
the CdP, just from a field a few meters outside the appellation.

When we first started buying this in the early 90s it was available en
vrac for about a buck a liter. You can still get it from the pump
although I guess it's closer to 5 EU now. The bottles of 2007 were
about 7 and a steal at that price.

cheers.

-E