Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 95 St. Jean Old Vines Zin

St. Jean used to make this reasonably priced zin, but they pulled up the
vines near the end of the 90s to make room for more profitable Cabernet
Sauvignon. This was our last bottle, with left over xmas roast and
yorkshire.

Recognizably zin in both the nose and the mouth, it was powerful but has
gained a certain elegance over the years, with very deep bitter
chocolate flavors backing up a sweet bramble core. Good balance, not hot.

I don't get much chance to drink zin young or old, so this was an
interesting bottle to me, and an argument for letting this grape sit
around some.

Happy hols to all afw denizens.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis wrote:
> St. Jean used to make this reasonably priced zin, but they pulled up the
> vines near the end of the 90s to make room for more profitable Cabernet
> Sauvignon. This was our last bottle, with left over xmas roast and
> yorkshire.
>
> Recognizably zin in both the nose and the mouth, it was powerful but has
> gained a certain elegance over the years, with very deep bitter
> chocolate flavors backing up a sweet bramble core. Good balance, not hot.
>
> I don't get much chance to drink zin young or old, so this was an
> interesting bottle to me, and an argument for letting this grape sit
> around some.

Wow, Emery! Never had a CSJ Zin. Fascinating!

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 26, 6:06*pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> St. Jean used to make this reasonably priced zin, but they pulled up the
> vines near the end of the 90s to make room for more profitable Cabernet
> Sauvignon. *This was our last bottle, with left over xmas roast and
> yorkshire.
>
> Recognizably zin in both the nose and the mouth, it was powerful but has
> gained a certain elegance over the years, with very deep bitter
> chocolate flavors backing up a sweet bramble core. *Good balance, not hot.
>
> I don't get much chance to drink zin young or old, so this was an
> interesting bottle to me, and an argument for letting this grape sit
> around some.

With the exception of Ridge and a few others, Zinfandel used to be
considered the poor relative of California Cabernet Sauvignon. In the
1970s and for many years beyond, many well know producers made a
decent Zinfandel at a price considerably lower than their flagship
Cabernet Sauvignon. In truth, their Zin often was better drinking with
a meal young than their Cabernet, which often needed more time in
bottle. Back then many wine estates tried to offer a huge variety of
wine types. Some varieties did not do well in some regions, and many
quit making wine from them. Then as suitable vineyards in famous
areas, such as Napa, became extremely expensive, it did not pay to
make a Zinfandel, unless it was a top one such as Ridge often was and
which could demand a fairly high price. Some of the fairly low priced
Zins from the 1970 and many years beyond were fairly serious wines
that could improve with age.

There was much hype about the 1974 Clos Duval Cabernet with references
to Ch. Lafite, etc. But there was also a 1974 Zinfandel made which was
very good and could improve with age.Joseph Phelps was making some
Zinfandel in the 1970s. I have had their Black Mountain vineyard
1977.

Vines Roy Boy Winemaking 8 21-09-2005 11:56 PM
Jean's Chicken Tim Recipes 0 23-08-2005 10:24 PM
Ch. St. Jean Bill Spohn Wine 4 29-09-2004 01:01 PM