Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Giroud Burgundies from '37, '47, '49, and '71, plus Coutet Madameet al

Andy hosted SOBER last night, and put on a memorable evening. We arrived to be greeted with charcuterie and the 1979 Lanson Brut Champagne. From magnum this was showing quite fresh and crisp- bright acids, tight fine mousse, brioche and apple flavors, I wouldn't have guessed 30+ years if it had been blind. A-

We then moved to table, a lovely feast of soup, beef bourguignon, cheese, desserts, etc. Wines were served blind in three flights.

White Flight
Seemed like white Burg, though several had doubts about #1 (and convinced me).
#1) Fairly sweet and low acid, with very tropical flavors. When someone suggested it might not be white Burgundy, I thought maybe 2003 white Graves, but Andy said all Burgundy. Someone called it "banana bubble gum" which I didn;t get, though some sweet butterscotch notes came with time.; Not my favorite at all.
2002 Bouchard Corton Charlemagne. B-./C+

#2) Balanced, minerally, good with excellent length. Some Meursault guesses but Cathleen got Corton-Charlemagne. My fave of flight.
2005 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne A-/B+

#3)Big, herbal, mint and a little butterscotch, good but a little hot on backend.
2005 Henri Boillot Corton Charlemagne B

First Red Flight
#4). Fresh, youngest seeming, this was called out as a Rhone ringer by some.. Beautiful wine in any case. Some animal and earthy notes around a solid fruit core.
1971 Camille Giroud Bonnes Mares A-

#5)I liked the nose on this one, a sandalwood meets ripe red fruit combo, but on palate it's a bit angular and disjointed. But in other company (of wines) I'd have liked more.
1971 Camille Giroud Charmes-Chambertin B

#6) Edged #4 as my fave of flight. Big, full bodied, black cherry fruit with earth and forest floor aromas. Luckily I had brought extra glasses, this held well for the entire meal.
1971 Camille Giroud Chambertin. A-/A

#7) Mushrooms, earth, red fruit, nice nose with palate only slightly marred by an astringent note.
1971 Camille Giroud Richebourg. B+

Second Red Flight
So the sweet/brown sugar notes marked this as old PN, my guesses are useless on anything this old, but I was impressed as John, Cathleen, and Craig got vintages.
#8) Sweetness of fruit, a bit lifted, but tasty and complex.
1937 Hospices de Beaune (Camille Giroud) Volnay (I didn't get cuvee name) A-
#9) I liked this, but can't even read the one word I wrote down, just my grade. Was paying too much attention to others.
1947 Camille Giroud Corton B/B+
#10) Animal, meat, dried herbs, still plenty of fruit, my WOTN by a hair
1947 Camille Giroud Richebourg. A/A-
#11) Jammier than other wines, but I liked.
1949 Camille Giroud Musigny. B+/A-

Last blind wine was a dessert wine with cheese and desserts, a powerful/thick wine but with good acids. Lots of botrytis, intense flavors of candied orange peel and apricot, with some vanilla. We pretty much assumed a great vintage of Yquem, but it was something rarer, the 1989 Coutet "Cuvee Madame" A-

Some delicious wines, all new to me, a night to remember.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

I'm informed the '37 HdB (Giroud elevage) was the Cuvee General Blondeau.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dale,
Was Eric Asimov at this tasting? I just read in his account of
2011's surprises his mention of the '49 Giroud Musigny. Coincidence?

<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/dining/reviews/a-year-of-acquired-tastes-the-pour.html>

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

p.s. Fantastic lineup of wines! SOBER really does it right.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

no, but there is a fair amount of old Giroud out there. When current owners bought, there was something like 300,000 bottles dating back to 20s in cellar. Mostly lesser stuff and lesser appellations, but lots of good stuff too.

2004 Camille Giroud Chambertin Bi!! Wine 2 08-09-2009 06:20 PM
TN: sometimes reps are deserved (83 Giscours), plus Mayacamas chard &Giroud DaleW Wine 0 30-05-2009 09:32 PM
Lasalle, Matanzas, 4 Gruauds and a Coutet Bill S. Wine 0 29-12-2008 04:21 PM
TN Coutet 83 John T Wine 2 15-11-2007 10:44 PM
TN Chateau Coutet 1976 Cwdjrx _ Wine 0 10-10-2005 12:34 AM