Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Riesling, Loires, etc

Betsy picked up fresh rice noodles, tofu, and Chinese broccoli, did a meatless version of a Singapore style stirfry we like. Wine was the
2009 Keller Trocken Riesling QbA. I'm not been as enamored of the more expensive Kellers as some others, but this is quite lovely for a reasonable price. Citrus, mineral, crisp, with a lot of presence. B+

With pan roasted king salmon, brown rice with furikake, and broccoli,
the 2008 Bize "aux Vergelesses" Savigny-les-Beaune 1er. Lovely, pure,and long. Didn't come across as especially closed at first, but nevertheless drank even better with several hours air. Black cherries and raspberries, clean vibrant acids, earth, fine length. This really should have a* chance to blossom in cellar but damned I enjoyed. A-

I made herb-roasted pork tenderloin, bulghur, and a kale/mushroom combination, wine was the 2007 Kartauserhof "Achleiten" Smaragd* (Wachau). A hint of spritz, a little petrol and peach and plenty of apple, but there's a little heat on finish, though label says 13%, pretty tame for Wachau Smaragd. Finish is also a bit clipped. B-

With Bittman's 1 hour bouillabaisse, the 2004 Pepiere "Clos des Briords" Muscadet. Delicious, full, and giving, I'm sure there is no hurry on these but drinking very well. Saline, minerally, but not at all short on fruit. B++

David's home for Christmas, and his mom made one his favorites, an aromatic beef-spinach-cinnamon stew over udon. I opened a 1988 Greysac (Medoc) as it's a birthyear wine for Dave. Well, this is why few people age modestly priced CBs 23 years. It's not dead at all- there's still fruit, albeit with a slightly pruney edge, but it seems so soft and flat- with the tannins resolved not a lot of there there. A bit of ashtray on finish.* I think Greysac can improve over 5-10 years, but this was pushing it. Totally dead on day 2,. C+/B-

The other wine showed quite well. The 2009 Franck Peillot Mondeuse (Bugey) had dark berries and plenty of spice, with good acids. Seems light and pretty, though there are some grippy tannins on backend. B+/A-

We had a late dinner Sunday with David and some friends- Betsy and Nancy had been to city, so I did most of the cooking: braised cardoons in a vinaigrette, stuffed crown pork roast, adzuki beans, and salad.

2004 Nicolas Feuillatte Blanc de Blancs Champagne
This is all about the green apples. Light, crisp, nice mousse, the dosage seems a little high for my tastes but nice wine. B/B+

2009 Guion "Cuvee Prestige" Bourgueil
Easygoing, fresh fruit, but seems tight. Not really that exciting now, but I expect that time will help. B-

2009 Peter Lauer "Fass 1" Riesling
A touch of sweetness, lemon and apple flavors, seems a tad lighter in style than the Senior, good. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

TN: Loires at La Sirene DaleW Wine 2 13-04-2011 07:27 PM
TN: Riesling, Riesling, Chardonnay DaleW Wine 0 24-11-2009 01:55 AM
TN: German and Loires DaleW Wine 0 04-01-2009 02:01 AM
WTN: 2 Loires to Buy Again (if I can find) DaleW Wine 0 05-11-2007 12:48 AM
Burgs and Loires Bill S. Wine 0 04-03-2006 04:41 PM