Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Wines with tapas (CdP, PN, GV and Spain)

Saturday found us gathering with friends from work to celebrate the end
of the semester (though finals still linger in the future) in the form
of a pot luck tapas party. We served cheeses, jamon iberico, bread, a
tortilla and lobster tail meat al ajillo (my fishmonger was out of
shrimp) and our friends brought various other goodies to supplement.
With such a varied array of food, I opened several different wines.

2009 Do Ferreiro Albarińo
nose: melon, lime, minerals
palate: medium-light body, good acidity

We've had this wine, and the Cepas Vellas, before. No surprises he
good stuff.

2009 Weingut Hirsch Grüner Veltliner #1
nose: green pea, melon, minerals
palate: light body, crisp acidity, surprising depth

Just got this "everyday" GV in a recent shipment from CSW and it was all
I'd hoped for and more. Great typicity and not at all diluted in
flavor. Bravo!

2006 Alma Rosa Pinot Noir La Encantada Vineyard
nose: red fruits veering toward red cherry, a hint of smoke
palate: velvety, lush, balanced acidity, smooth finish

I recently opened the '07 version of this wine (which I'd purchased at
the winery) and found it too dark and extracted for my tastes. What a
difference a vintage makes! This wine was everything I look for in a CA
PN in its restraint and balance. Not likely to be mistaken for
Burgundy, but also not likely to be mistaken for Syrah! ;-)

2007 Bodegas Numanthia "Termes" Toro
nose: oak, boysenberry, lactic
palate: glossy, full bodied, low acid

One of our guests likes big, brawny red wines and Jean wanted some
Spanish wines in the lineup, so I opened this bottle, which had been a
gift from a well-meaning guest at any earlier party (not present at this
one, thankfully). Full on international wine, well enough made, but
rather boring to my tastes once the offputting lactic note had blown off.

1998 Dom. de la Charbonničre Chateauneuf-du-Pape Mourre des Perdrix
nose: black cherry, smoked meat and a hint of herbs
palate: medium body, smooth tannins, firm acidity, deep fruit

Classic CdP flavor profile and totally mature to my taste. This is one
of the first '98s I've dug into, and it seemed ready to go. Quite tasty
and a good match with some of the more carnivorous dishes on offer.

All in all, a very fun evening with some good friends on a cold December
night. Good food, good company, good wines, good conversation. Even
Andrew had a good time because he got to play some new games on "Aunt
Chrissy"'s iPhone ;-)

Mark Lipton