FoodBanter.com

-   -   TN: Sicily, Loire, and Oregon (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/413513-tn-sicily-loire-oregon.html)

DaleW 09-12-2011 05:02 AM

TN: Sicily, Loire, and Oregon

I had gotten Betsy a pressure cooker for one of her birthday presents (based more on my desires than hers), she used it Monday night to make a wonderful aloo gobhi with rice dish, plus she made an Indian spiced greens/broccoli puree. We had a little leftover Champagne and the 2010 Baudry Chinon Rose.. As previously noted excellent pink, and does a yeoman job with the difficult match. Cranberry and cherry fruit, spice, mineral. Summer's definitely over, but I am still sorry I'm down to one of these. I think Mark recently posted on this as well. B++

Tuesday was wineless, after work a meeting and then a trip to the streets. So Wednesday I was eager for red, Betsy obliged by making a Jacques Pepin lamb and white bean stew in pressure cooker (didn't even need soaking!), with an arugula/pear salad with blue cheese dressing. I opened the 2005 Feudo Montoni "Vrucara" Nero d'Avola. Tight at first, opens nicely. Black cherries and plums, espresso, herb. This doesn't taste like Burgundy (obviously), but I do think the word "Burgundian", because of the finesse and balance. Very good (and shows well on next night as well). A-/B+

Tonight I was cooking, wild salmon in an Asian marinade, brown rice and furikake, and slivered snow peas and leeks (plus some Chinese pickles Betsy made). Wine was the 2007*Coelho*"Paciencia" Pinot Noir.*This showed as it has in past- high acid, a bit tart, a green edge. With air it develops a bit of a candied edge. B-/C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.