FoodBanter.com

-   -   OT - In Memorium (Attn Mark Lipton) (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/413413-ot-memorium-attn-mark.html)

st.helier[_3_] 06-12-2011 08:44 AM

OT - In Memorium (Attn Mark Lipton)

Hi Mark

Exactly 10 years ago today, in Blenheim (Marlborough NZ) you broke the news
to me that my yachting hero Sir Peter Blake had been killed in Brazil.

It seems like yesterday

AB

Mark Lipton[_1_] 06-12-2011 05:36 PM

On 12/6/11 3:44 AM, st.helier wrote:
> Hi Mark
>
> Exactly 10 years ago today, in Blenheim (Marlborough NZ) you broke the
> news to me that my yachting hero Sir Peter Blake had been killed in Brazil.
>
> It seems like yesterday

Indeed, Comrade Champers Pinko. Let's make a point of toasting his
memory in the not too distant future.

Mark Lipton

DaleW 06-12-2011 07:44 PM

On Dec 6, 12:36*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 12/6/11 3:44 AM, st.helier wrote:
>
> > Hi Mark

> > Exactly 10 years ago today, in Blenheim (Marlborough NZ) you broke the
> > news to me that my yachting hero Sir Peter Blake had been killed in Brazil.

> > It seems like yesterday

> Indeed, Comrade Champers Pinko. *Let's make a point of toasting his
> memory in the not too distant future.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I have to admit that it gave me a start (I was on phone and half
paying attn) when my brain registered "in memorium Mark Lipton"

Mark Lipton[_1_] 06-12-2011 08:44 PM

On 12/6/11 2:44 PM, DaleW wrote:

> I have to admit that it gave me a start (I was on phone and half
> paying attn) when my brain registered "in memorium Mark Lipton"

LOL!! If you think that that particular misreading gave *you* a start...

;-)
Mark Lipton
("I'm not dead yet!")

Joseph Coulter[_9_] 06-12-2011 10:56 PM

OT - In Memorium (Attn Mark Lipton)

On Tue, 06 Dec 2011 15:44:46 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>On 12/6/11 2:44 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
>> I have to admit that it gave me a start (I was on phone and half
>> paying attn) when my brain registered "in memorium Mark Lipton"

>LOL!! If you think that that particular misreading gave *you* a start...
>
>;-)
>Mark Lipton
>("I'm not dead yet!")

So Mark, are you channeling that other Mark (Twain)?

Joseph Coulter[_9_] 06-12-2011 10:59 PM

wrote:

>On 12/6/11 2:44 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
>> I have to admit that it gave me a start (I was on phone and half
>> paying attn) when my brain registered "in memorium Mark Lipton"

>LOL!! If you think that that particular misreading gave *you* a start...
>
>;-)
>Mark Lipton
>("I'm not dead yet!")

to put this "on topic" I do believe that a glass or two of Calaveras
County wine is in order.

Anders Tørneskog[_2_] 07-12-2011 09:34 AM

OT - In Memorium (Attn Mark Lipton)

"Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
> On 12/6/11 2:44 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
>> I have to admit that it gave me a start (I was on phone and half
>> paying attn) when my brain registered "in memorium Mark Lipton"

> LOL!! If you think that that particular misreading gave *you* a start...
>
> ;-)
> Mark Lipton
> ("I'm not dead yet!")
>

> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Forgive this European, but is 'In memorium' American English? That gave me
a start... :-)

Anders

Joseph Coulter[_9_] 07-12-2011 11:23 AM

OT - In Memorium (Attn Mark Lipton)

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 10:34:50 +0100, "Anders Tørneskog"
> wrote:

>"Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
>> On 12/6/11 2:44 PM, DaleW wrote:
>>
>>> I have to admit that it gave me a start (I was on phone and half
>>> paying attn) when my brain registered "in memorium Mark Lipton"

>> LOL!! If you think that that particular misreading gave *you* a start...
>>
>> ;-)
>> Mark Lipton
>> ("I'm not dead yet!")
>>

>> --
>> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

>Forgive this European, but is 'In memorium' American English? That gave me
>a start... :-)
>
>Anders

It is certainly American in usage, but coming from our good mate from
down under, I would surmise it is fairly universal despite its Latin
look, for" in memory of".

Anders Tørneskog[_2_] 07-12-2011 02:09 PM

OT - In Memorium (Attn Mark Lipton)

"Joseph Coulter" > skrev i melding
> It is certainly American in usage, but coming from our good mate from
> down under, I would surmise it is fairly universal despite its Latin
> look, for" in memory of".

Oh - American Latin? Here we stick to European Latin and say 'In
memoriam'...

Anders

Mark Lipton[_1_] 07-12-2011 02:09 PM

On 12/7/11 6:23 AM, Joseph Coulter wrote:

>> Forgive this European, but is 'In memorium' American English? That gave me
>> a start... :-)
>>
>> Anders
>>

> It is certainly American in usage, but coming from our good mate from
> down under, I would surmise it is fairly universal despite its Latin
> look, for" in memory of".

What Anders is referring to, I suspect, is that proper Latin would have
it as "in memoriAm" not "in memoriUm," but as you say it's a common
error in the English-speaking world. Using this high tech tool:

<http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=in+memorium&word2=in+me moriam>

we can see that the proper term outnumbers the improper one 4.6 million
to 0.2 million on the Web, which I suppose is reassuring.

Mark Lipton

Doug Anderson 07-12-2011 02:48 PM

"Anders Tørneskog" > writes:

> "Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
> > On 12/6/11 2:44 PM, DaleW wrote:
> >
> >> I have to admit that it gave me a start (I was on phone and half
> >> paying attn) when my brain registered "in memorium Mark Lipton"

> > LOL!! If you think that that particular misreading gave *you* a start...
> >
> > ;-)
> > Mark Lipton
> > ("I'm not dead yet!")
> >

> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> Forgive this European, but is 'In memorium' American English? That gave me
> a start... :-)

No, it is a misspelling here too.

Anders Tørneskog[_2_] 07-12-2011 05:23 PM

OT - In Memorium (Attn Mark Lipton)

"Joseph Coulter" > skrev i melding
> On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 09:09:58 -0500, Mark Lipton >
> wrote:
> Confessing that I didn't even recognize a problem. I have lifted the
> following from a google search note even a movie shows the "odd"
> spelling
>
> In Memorium (2005) - IMDb
> www.imdb.com/title/tt0491777/
> Rating: 7.8/10 - 60 votes
> What's scarier than dying?

I found this amazing enough to try to find an explanation... It seems to me
that meanings are different in this way:

In memorium= In the mind
In memoriam= In memory of (Keeping in the mind)

Anybody knowing a latin expert?

Anders

st.helier[_3_] 07-12-2011 06:26 PM

OT - In Memorium (Attn Mark Lipton)

"Anders Tørneskog" wrote ..........

> I found this amazing enough to try to find an explanation... It seems to
> me that meanings are different in this way:

> In memorium= In the mind
> In memoriam= In memory of (Keeping in the mind)

> Anybody knowing a latin expert?

Wow - what did I start - the most discussed thread in ages - and not a
word about wine.

OK - I plead guilty - memorium / memoriam - I goofed - no excuse, perhaps I
was looking at this keyboard through an 18 year old Highland Park (no ice -
just a tiny splash of water!)

However, my intention was to remind Mark of that day in 2001 which shocked
this tiny nation to the core.

Sir Peter Blake was one of my heroes. I was fortunate to have sailed with
him (albeit a short, overnighter down the coast of Northland)

If you want to see his inspiring story, this 90min video tells of his life
and achievements.

http://tvnz.co.nz/blakey/s1-e1-video-4589986

--

A B