Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: bad BTG, good CHampagne

Sunday was Betsy's birthday, we decided to try a new local seafood place, Dayboat Cafe in Irvington. We started with some excellent blouepoints as well as a grilled octopus salad (tasty, but I thought a bit skimpy with octopus- one piece of tentacle about the size of a cigar). Then she had scallops with mushrooms and an orange beurre blanc, I had grilled branzino with potatoes and beans. Fish was quite good, but the wine prices mean if we contemplate going again, I'll check re corkage- and just not go if not available. - uninspired selections at 3+X retail. We settled for a couple of glasses:

2010 Colli Argento Pinot Grigio (Veneto)
A little tingle of alcohol kept me from confusing with my water glass. Dilute, flabby, and short. OK, maybe a hint of sugary apple juice. With a plastic note. C

2009 Fleur du Cap Sauvignon Blanc
you know it's a bad wine night when cheap South African SB is better wine on the table. Grassy, sharp, a bit dilute unless compared to the PG. B-/C+

All, however, was not lost. When we got home I decided to toast her with the 2004 Bonnaire "Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs" Champagne. Very young, but quite pretty. Apple, bread dough, peach blossoms, mineral. Medium mousse, delicate but not fragile. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/5/11 2:27 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Sunday was Betsy's birthday, we decided to try a new local seafood
> place, Dayboat Cafe in Irvington. We started with some excellent
> blouepoints as well as a grilled octopus salad (tasty, but I thought
> a bit skimpy with octopus- one piece of tentacle about the size of a
> cigar). Then she had scallops with mushrooms and an orange beurre
> blanc, I had grilled branzino with potatoes and beans. Fish was quite
> good, but the wine prices mean if we contemplate going again, I'll
> check re corkage- and just not go if not available. - uninspired
> selections at 3+X retail. We settled for a couple of glasses:

<SNIP>

Yeah, if that's the best you can do off the wine list, it'd be corkage
for me, too. That's a shame since it's fairly easy to find good,
reasonably priced white wines. Please pass on a Happy Birthday to Betsy
from Jean and me.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

actually, to be fsir, there were 2 wines by the bottle that I'd try (Trimbach Riesling and Bredif Vouvray), it's just they were $50-52 and I thought markup too high (and that the Trimbach wouldn't be a good match with our food).