Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Friday Lunch Gruaud, Cos, Dominus, Talbot, Vatican, Pesquera

2002 Albert Mann Gewurztraminer Steingrubler – showing some colour
now, and an atypical nose of tropical fruit – papaya and honey with
orange hints – and similar flavours, with good length. Bit of a poser
for us as there was little to say ‘Gewurz’ in this wine.

2005 Terravin Hillside Reserve Pinot Noir (Marlborough) – another
perplexing wine (and one I’d never tasted before). A sweet slightly
candied fruit nose, a tad lean in midpalate, I thought, and then
finishing with good acidity and some tannin. Pinot, yes, but from
where?!

1994 Guigal Cote Rotie La Mouline – this special wine, no doubt
brought out to celebrate the season, somewhat disappointed the person
that opened it. It was slightly cloudy, but had a very decent fruit
driven nose with a hint of fish sauce (umami?) that made it more
interesting, I thought. Edges showed more red purple, with little sign
of lightening, and it had good midpalate flavour, with huge acidity at
the end and good length. As luck would have it, I had tasted all 3 of
the ‘La-Las’ from 1986 the night before, and I could understand why
the owner felt it wasn’t up to snuff, notwithstanding the effusive
reviews from usually dependable people like RP. I’d add that this
wouldn’t be the first 1994 Cote Rotie that failed to match RPs review.
I had a case of 1994 Brun et Blonde that I returned to the seller
about 8-10 years ago as it was failing and over the hill. I do not
think it was bad treatment – I’d bought the 1995 from the same source
and it is still just fine. No idea if this was an issue with the 1994
vintage for Guigal – it may be a coincidence.

1996 Pesquera Gran Reserva (magnum) – good deep red colour, a
pronounced dill and plum nose, sweet and slightly warm entry,
developing red fruit on palate. Drinks very well now.

1996 Pesquera Crianza – we didn’t have this at lunch, but as often
happens, a wine served at the lunch makes me curious, so I went home
and pulled a bottle of this to see how it was doing in comparison. It
was also in good shape, with not as much complexity in the nose,
though more vanilla, I thought, and it was soft and ready, now on
plateau with some time to go.

2001 Cuvee du Vatican CNduP – vitamin, a little mint and hints of
pepper in this nose, good colour and smooth and tasty in the mouth –
no rush for this one.

1989 Ch. Talbot – big herbal slightly funky nose, smooth feel and good
length. A good one, now reaching plateau – time to find my stash!

1996 Dominus – this is the one vintage where Dominus fails to emulate
a Bordeaux so closely as to be a good ringer. Pretty obviously new
world in the big ripe sweet nose, sweet fruit on palate and excellent
length. Lovely wine.

1990 Cos d’Estournel – the Christmas spirit was producing more than
our usual complement of mature claret today. This wine showed nice
briary sweetish fruit, with mocha overtones, a nice balance and clean
acidity.

2003 Ch. Boyd Cantenac – dark wine with a currant nose with hints of
elastoplast bandage. Huge sweet fruit in the middle, and firm tannin.
This one needs time!

2000 Haan Wilhelmus – this Barossa claret blend (cab, cab franc,
merlot, malbec, petit verdot) is never going to pass for a Bordeaux
(something I’d wondered as this was the first bottle of this I’ve
opened). The nose is too sweet, but it has a little warmth and has
dill and cedar as well as currants, so the idiom is at least in the
ballpark. Tons of fruit in the middle and good acidity with very good
length. Not an over bearing typical Aussie jam-bomb, this will
continue to develop.

1927 Dom. Joseph Bory Muscat de Rivesaltes – no on caught on to the
age of this – it was orange (but not browning) in colour, warm nose of
oranges and nuts, (but more like almonds, without the sharpness of
walnuts), and a warm fairly dry finish. Recently bottled from a cask
sitting since the vintage.

We had some friends having lunch nearby and they sent over a glass of
wine for us to taste blind.

1986 Ch. Gruaud Larose – very good nose of cedar and black fruit, and
huge still hard tannins that obscure the midpalate fruit so I couldn’t
really say whether or not it was adequate (I was thinking this was a
1975, from the unusual combination of high tannin and low, or at least
uncertain, fruit). Drying finish. Hope this comes around someday as I
have a half case somewhere!
Posted to alt.food.wine

Bill S. wrote:

> 1927 Dom. Joseph Bory Muscat de Rivesaltes – no on caught on to the
> age of this – it was orange (but not browning) in colour, warm nose of
> oranges and nuts, (but more like almonds, without the sharpness of
> walnuts), and a warm fairly dry finish. Recently bottled from a cask
> sitting since the vintage.

Most interesting, Bill. Were you the source of this?

> 1986 Ch. Gruaud Larose – very good nose of cedar and black fruit, and
> huge still hard tannins that obscure the midpalate fruit so I couldn’t
> really say whether or not it was adequate (I was thinking this was a
> 1975, from the unusual combination of high tannin and low, or at least
> uncertain, fruit). Drying finish. Hope this comes around someday as I
> have a half case somewhere!

Wow. Thanks for the heads up as I've got this, too. It may perform
differently coming from our passively cooled cellar, though.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

The Muscat came from Jenise, Mark. Apparently available for reasonable
price in the US.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 3, 1:19*pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> The Muscat came from Jenise, Mark. Apparently available for reasonable
> price in the US.

Came up with zero searching for this.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 3, 4:19*pm, Logan Leichtman > wrote:
> On Dec 3, 1:19*pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
>
> > The Muscat came from Jenise, Mark. Apparently available for reasonable
> > price in the US.

> Came up with zero searching for this.

Just realized my son had used my computer to check something so his
name came up instead of mine. Cannot find the Muscat anywhere. Anyone
have an idea where to find it other than wine searcher?

Friday Lunch Notes for May 2009 Bill S. Wine 0 09-05-2009 05:17 PM
Friday Lunch PeterL General Cooking 0 15-12-2006 02:43 AM
Lunch - Margaux, Talbot, Dow, Phelps.... Bill S. Wine 1 23-10-2006 01:07 AM
Friday's lunch for the guys... Syssi General Cooking 0 05-02-2006 03:19 PM
From Talbot to Turley - October Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 1 15-10-2005 05:59 PM