Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Couple 2000 Bordeaux

I was invited over to a freind's home for a lambfest this weekend.
Braised, grilled roasted, leg, breast, loin and chops. I took a
bottle of 2000 Leoville Poyferre and he had a bottle of 2000 Lynch
Bages. We were the only winos. Both bottles were opened and decanted
one hour before serving. Both wines were on a very similar timeline
from an ageability standpoint and I would put each wine into a dumb
stage as niether one seems totally together and both were a bit
disjointed.

2000 Leoville Poyferre. fairly pure nose of cassis with a bit of wet
stones on the nose. Fruit forward on the palate, plenty of cassis and
blackberry with a high toned acidity and a pronounced mineral note.
Tannins were still quite pronounced and the acidity seems too intense
and almost overpowers the fruit. "B"

2000 Lynch Bages. A bit more complexity at this point than the
Leoville Poyferre. Cassis, berry, and lead pencil aromas in the nose.
Black fruits and cassis with a fair amount of graphite and leather on
the palate. Slightly drying tannins need time to smooth out. "B"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 21, 11:10*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I was invited over to a freind's home for a lambfest this weekend.
> Braised, grilled roasted, leg, breast, loin and chops. *I took a
> bottle of 2000 Leoville Poyferre and he had a bottle of 2000 Lynch
> Bages. *We were the only winos. *Both bottles were opened and decanted
> one hour before serving. *Both wines were on a very similar timeline
> from an ageability standpoint and I would put each wine into a dumb
> stage as niether one seems totally together and both were a bit
> disjointed.
>
> 2000 Leoville Poyferre. *fairly pure nose of cassis with a bit of wet
> stones on the nose. *Fruit forward on the palate, plenty of cassis and
> blackberry with a high toned acidity and a pronounced mineral note.
> Tannins were still quite pronounced and the acidity seems too intense
> and almost overpowers the fruit. "B"
>
> 2000 Lynch Bages. *A bit more complexity at this point than the
> Leoville Poyferre. Cassis, berry, and lead pencil aromas in the nose.
> Black fruits and cassis with a fair amount of graphite and leather on
> the palate. *Slightly drying tannins need time to smooth out. "B"

I have not really enjoyed any St. Julien wines from 2000. Can't really
put my finger on it but the fruit seems stewed to me from that year.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 21, 2:45*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> On Nov 21, 11:10*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > I was invited over to a freind's home for a lambfest this weekend.
> > Braised, grilled roasted, leg, breast, loin and chops. *I took a
> > bottle of 2000 Leoville Poyferre and he had a bottle of 2000 Lynch
> > Bages. *We were the only winos. *Both bottles were opened and decanted
> > one hour before serving. *Both wines were on a very similar timeline
> > from an ageability standpoint and I would put each wine into a dumb
> > stage as niether one seems totally together and both were a bit
> > disjointed.

> > 2000 Leoville Poyferre. *fairly pure nose of cassis with a bit of wet
> > stones on the nose. *Fruit forward on the palate, plenty of cassis and
> > blackberry with a high toned acidity and a pronounced mineral note.
> > Tannins were still quite pronounced and the acidity seems too intense
> > and almost overpowers the fruit. "B"

> > 2000 Lynch Bages. *A bit more complexity at this point than the
> > Leoville Poyferre. Cassis, berry, and lead pencil aromas in the nose.
> > Black fruits and cassis with a fair amount of graphite and leather on
> > the palate. *Slightly drying tannins need time to smooth out. "B"

> I have not really enjoyed any St. Julien wines from 2000. Can't really
> put my finger on it but the fruit seems stewed to me from that year.- Hide quoted text -

Actually Larry, now that you mention it, the Leoville did have an
almost metallic tang that I couldn't quite place and it could be the
"stewed" note you are referring to.
Posted to alt.food.wine

OTOH, I have had two extraordinary bottles of Leoville Poyferré 2000. A
classic Bordeaux in the making IMHO. Bottles I tasted were purchased en
primeur and kept in excellent conditions ever since.

s.

TN: Midtier 2000 Bordeaux DaleW Wine 2 03-11-2015 12:35 AM
2000 and earlier Bordeaux Bill S. Wine 0 24-10-2010 07:54 PM
Couple '02 Cals and a Bordeaux Bi!! Wine 1 12-11-2008 07:21 PM
2000 Bordeaux Young Martle Wine 11 28-02-2005 07:51 PM
When to drink a 2000 Bordeaux Scott Wine 19 08-03-2004 11:56 PM