FoodBanter.com

-   -   Couple 2000 Bordeaux (https://www.foodbanter.com/wine/412968-couple-2000-bordeaux.html)

Bi!! 21-11-2011 07:10 PM

Couple 2000 Bordeaux

I was invited over to a freind's home for a lambfest this weekend.
Braised, grilled roasted, leg, breast, loin and chops. I took a
bottle of 2000 Leoville Poyferre and he had a bottle of 2000 Lynch
Bages. We were the only winos. Both bottles were opened and decanted
one hour before serving. Both wines were on a very similar timeline
from an ageability standpoint and I would put each wine into a dumb
stage as niether one seems totally together and both were a bit
disjointed.

2000 Leoville Poyferre. fairly pure nose of cassis with a bit of wet
stones on the nose. Fruit forward on the palate, plenty of cassis and
blackberry with a high toned acidity and a pronounced mineral note.
Tannins were still quite pronounced and the acidity seems too intense
and almost overpowers the fruit. "B"

2000 Lynch Bages. A bit more complexity at this point than the
Leoville Poyferre. Cassis, berry, and lead pencil aromas in the nose.
Black fruits and cassis with a fair amount of graphite and leather on
the palate. Slightly drying tannins need time to smooth out. "B"

Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] 21-11-2011 08:45 PM

Couple 2000 Bordeaux

On Nov 21, 11:10*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I was invited over to a freind's home for a lambfest this weekend.
> Braised, grilled roasted, leg, breast, loin and chops. *I took a
> bottle of 2000 Leoville Poyferre and he had a bottle of 2000 Lynch
> Bages. *We were the only winos. *Both bottles were opened and decanted
> one hour before serving. *Both wines were on a very similar timeline
> from an ageability standpoint and I would put each wine into a dumb
> stage as niether one seems totally together and both were a bit
> disjointed.
>
> 2000 Leoville Poyferre. *fairly pure nose of cassis with a bit of wet
> stones on the nose. *Fruit forward on the palate, plenty of cassis and
> blackberry with a high toned acidity and a pronounced mineral note.
> Tannins were still quite pronounced and the acidity seems too intense
> and almost overpowers the fruit. "B"
>
> 2000 Lynch Bages. *A bit more complexity at this point than the
> Leoville Poyferre. Cassis, berry, and lead pencil aromas in the nose.
> Black fruits and cassis with a fair amount of graphite and leather on
> the palate. *Slightly drying tannins need time to smooth out. "B"

I have not really enjoyed any St. Julien wines from 2000. Can't really
put my finger on it but the fruit seems stewed to me from that year.

Bi!! 21-11-2011 08:55 PM

Couple 2000 Bordeaux

On Nov 21, 2:45*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> On Nov 21, 11:10*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > I was invited over to a freind's home for a lambfest this weekend.
> > Braised, grilled roasted, leg, breast, loin and chops. *I took a
> > bottle of 2000 Leoville Poyferre and he had a bottle of 2000 Lynch
> > Bages. *We were the only winos. *Both bottles were opened and decanted
> > one hour before serving. *Both wines were on a very similar timeline
> > from an ageability standpoint and I would put each wine into a dumb
> > stage as niether one seems totally together and both were a bit
> > disjointed.

> > 2000 Leoville Poyferre. *fairly pure nose of cassis with a bit of wet
> > stones on the nose. *Fruit forward on the palate, plenty of cassis and
> > blackberry with a high toned acidity and a pronounced mineral note.
> > Tannins were still quite pronounced and the acidity seems too intense
> > and almost overpowers the fruit. "B"

> > 2000 Lynch Bages. *A bit more complexity at this point than the
> > Leoville Poyferre. Cassis, berry, and lead pencil aromas in the nose.
> > Black fruits and cassis with a fair amount of graphite and leather on
> > the palate. *Slightly drying tannins need time to smooth out. "B"

> I have not really enjoyed any St. Julien wines from 2000. Can't really
> put my finger on it but the fruit seems stewed to me from that year.- Hide quoted text -

Actually Larry, now that you mention it, the Leoville did have an
almost metallic tang that I couldn't quite place and it could be the
"stewed" note you are referring to.

santiago 21-11-2011 10:59 PM

Couple 2000 Bordeaux

OTOH, I have had two extraordinary bottles of Leoville Poyferré 2000. A
classic Bordeaux in the making IMHO. Bottles I tasted were purchased en
primeur and kept in excellent conditions ever since.

s.