Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '01 Lafarge Volnay

After learning years ago that Dale considered Lafarge one of his
favorite Burgundy producers, I was tremendously excited to find a
Lafarge wine on the shelf of Sam's in Chicago during one shopping
expedition. Buyer's remorse set in only later when I realized that 2001
was the year of hail storms in the Volnay and Pommard, but that decision
was later redemmed when John Gilman gave the wine his endorsement. So,
it was with a touch of trepidation that I opened it tonight with a
dinner of roast duck:

2001 Michel Lafarge Volnay
nose: bright red fruit, earth, blood, later on a hint of spice
palate: fresh acidity, smooth tannins, lovely balance

What an outstanding wine, and what a good time to be drinking it! The
color was ruby red with orange at the rim. As appealing as it is now,
I'd guess that it can last another 2-5 years depending on cellar
conditions. However, I doubt that it can get much better than it was today.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

sounds great (actually better than his 01 Vendagnes Select.). I have none of the village Volnay, but the Bourgogne (yes, the Bourgogne) is drinking very well right now. I think the hail in Volnay was localized, so some vineyatds more affected than others.

[TN] Dr. L, Lafon Volnay Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 28-01-2009 01:07 PM
[TN] '88 Lafon Volnay Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 09-11-2008 09:24 PM
TN: 2000 Lafarge Volnay VS DaleW Wine 0 13-01-2007 09:08 PM
TN: Lafarge Aligote DaleW Wine 7 06-10-2005 08:37 PM
TN: '97 Lafarge Volnay DaleW Wine 0 27-08-2005 03:31 AM