Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Chianti in October

Would it be possible to visit Chianti in late October/early November?
Not forgetting the umbrellas?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 15, 11:05*am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> On 15/11/2011 10:02, NilsGLindgren wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to visit Chianti in late October/early November?
> > Not forgetting the umbrellas?

> No problem usually. Tourists are gone.

.... also, harvest is done, grapes are in, and the wine maker is
contentedly listening to the fermenting must bubbling ... What work
there is (there is ALWAYS work!) would be in the cellars ... hmmm.
Possibility.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 15, 3:05*am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> On 15/11/2011 10:02, NilsGLindgren wrote:
>
> > Would it be possible to visit Chianti in late October/early November?
> > Not forgetting the umbrellas?

> No problem usually. Tourists are gone.

Are these the best times to visit Tuscany?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 16, 12:19*am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> On 15/11/2011 22:19, Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> >> No problem usually. Tourists are gone.

> > Are these the best times to visit Tuscany?

> Best times are May and september IMHO

September is harvest time, this year, AFAIK, harvest started c.
September 5th. If you want to visit the producers, it may not be the
best time of the year. ( I read somewhere that most wine producers in
Bourgogne died in September, durin g harvest. Go figure )
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 16, 2:16*am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> On 16/11/2011 09:40, NilsGLindgren wrote:

> >> Best times are May and september IMHO

> > September is harvest time, this year, AFAIK, harvest started c.
> > September 5th. If you want to visit the producers, it may not be the
> > best time of the year. ( I read somewhere that most wine producers in
> > Bourgogne died in September, durin g harvest. Go figure )

> Agree. But the question was the best time to visit Tuscany, not Tuscan
> winemakers ;-)

Well, we want to do both so sounds like October or May might be the
best times.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 16, 12:36*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> On Nov 16, 2:16*am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> > > September is harvest time, this year, AFAIK, harvest started c.
> > > September 5th. If you want to visit the producers, it may not be the
> > > best time of the year. ( I read somewhere that most wine producers in
> > > Bourgogne died in September, durin g harvest. Go figure )

> > Agree. But the question was the best time to visit Tuscany, not Tuscan
> > winemakers ;-)

> Well, we want to do both so sounds like October or May might be the
> best times.- Hide quoted text -

I've been there a couple of times in May and early June. Both were
spectacular.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 16, 10:16*am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> On 16/11/2011 09:40, NilsGLindgren wrote:

> >> Best times are May and september IMHO

> > September is harvest time, this year, AFAIK, harvest started c.
> > September 5th. If you want to visit the producers, it may not be the
> > best time of the year. ( I read somewhere that most wine producers in
> > Bourgogne died in September, durin g harvest. Go figure )

> Agree. But the question was the best time to visit Tuscany, not Tuscan
> winemakers ;-)

ouch. you're right. d'oh ...
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 09:36:26 -0800 (PST), Lawrence Leichtman
> wrote:

>On Nov 16, 2:16*am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>> > September is harvest time, this year, AFAIK, harvest started c.
>> > September 5th. If you want to visit the producers, it may not be the
>> > best time of the year. ( I read somewhere that most wine producers in
>> > Bourgogne died in September, durin g harvest. Go figure )

>> Agree. But the question was the best time to visit Tuscany, not Tuscan
>> winemakers ;-)

>Well, we want to do both so sounds like October or May might be the
>best times.

As Nils intimated in his post you may find some rain the later you go.
October is usually a good time to travel, but I think Sep is better
for Italy as my experience in October has been spotty.

Abstinence from food (12 October to 21 October) Confusor General Cooking 0 10-10-2012 11:55 PM
Abstinence from food (2 October to 11 October) Confusor General Cooking 0 01-10-2012 09:27 PM
Chianti? J J Levin Wine 203 24-01-2007 06:28 PM
Chianti Classico Tasting.. Great Chianti's and an AMAZING Vin Santo Wildetuinn Wine 0 15-09-2006 08:06 AM
Chianti Erik Hornung Wine 18 05-02-2004 11:57 PM