Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1992 Christian Moreau Chablis Le Clos

Pulled from my orphan bin served with pan seared Walleye, bok choy and
mushrooms 1992 Christian Moreau Chablis Le Clos. To be honest I
didn't expect much and had a back-up just in case. Pleasanty
surprised. Light gold in color and crystal clear. Fairly tight nose
of lemon and saline. Inital attack on the palate was lean and tart
but within a few minutes it had opened up a bit showing good citrus,
lemon notes and a core of limestone minerality. Zippy acidity with a
fair amount of underlying richness. A bit short on the finish. "B+"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 15, 12:35*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> Pulled from my orphan bin served with pan seared Walleye, bok choy and
> mushrooms 1992 Christian Moreau Chablis Le Clos. *To be honest I
> didn't expect much and had a back-up just in case. *Pleasanty
> surprised. *Light gold in color and crystal clear. *Fairly tight nose
> of lemon and saline. *Inital attack on the palate was lean and tart
> but within a few minutes it had opened up a bit showing good citrus,
> lemon notes and a core of limestone minerality. *Zippy acidity with a
> fair amount of underlying richness. *A bit short on the finish. *"B+"

I am not at all surprised that you found your les Clos 1992 still very
good. I have not tried Christian Moreau's wines. However I have had
much Chablis from the 1970s. Then J Moreau & Fils was a major Chablis
producer. Some of their wines were not at the top of many people's
list. However their top wine was outstanding, and it was Clos des
Hospices dans les Clos, likely the very best area of les Clos. The
best les Clos had a reputation of aging well, and the Clos des
Hospices aged extremely well. The best Grand Cru Chablis in the 70's
was likely to be very powerful, very dumb for at least 10 years, and
often then developed well for at least a few decades. It is nothing
like the lower classification "oyster" Chablis, and can be as great as
many other white Burgundy wines, but in a different way with more
mineral character. I still have one bottle of Clos des Hospices 1979,
No. 07883, from which I copied the information posted here. There are
no issues that can be seen for the unopened bottle. The wine appears
quite clear and there is no dark sediment in the bottle. When I open
it, I will be very surprised if it is not still in good form.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 17, 2:47*am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Nov 15, 12:35*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > Pulled from my orphan bin served with pan seared Walleye, bok choy and
> > mushrooms 1992 Christian Moreau Chablis Le Clos. *To be honest I
> > didn't expect much and had a back-up just in case. *Pleasanty
> > surprised. *Light gold in color and crystal clear. *Fairly tight nose
> > of lemon and saline. *Inital attack on the palate was lean and tart
> > but within a few minutes it had opened up a bit showing good citrus,
> > lemon notes and a core of limestone minerality. *Zippy acidity with a
> > fair amount of underlying richness. *A bit short on the finish. *"B+"

> I am not at all surprised that you found your les Clos 1992 still very
> good. I have not tried Christian Moreau's wines. However I have had
> much Chablis from the 1970s. Then J Moreau & Fils was a major Chablis
> producer. Some of their wines were not at the top of many people's
> list. However their top wine was outstanding, and it was Clos des
> Hospices dans les Clos, likely the very best area of les Clos. The
> best les Clos had a reputation of aging well, and the Clos des
> Hospices aged extremely well. The best Grand Cru Chablis in the 70's
> was likely to be very powerful, very dumb for at least 10 years, and
> often then developed well for at least a few decades. It is nothing
> like the lower classification "oyster" Chablis, and can be as great as
> many other white Burgundy wines, but in a different way with more
> mineral character. I still have one bottle of Clos des Hospices 1979,
> No. 07883, from which I copied the information posted here. There are
> no issues that can be seen for the unopened bottle. The wine appears
> quite clear and there is no dark sediment in the bottle. When I open
> it, I will be very surprised if it is not still in good form.

Thanks for the information. You are always the source of terrific
insight into some of the older vintages. I still have two bottles
left of the 1992 Le Clos so I think I'll hold for a few more years and
open another.