Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Jazzman's 60th

The 2004 Breton "Clos Senechal" Bourgueil was nice over 2 days, raspberry fruits and high acids, with a leafy green tone that didn't bother me, and nice minerally finish. B/B+

As we were getting ready for my SOBER crew Thursday (notes elswhere) Betsy was making 3 dutch ovens worth of coq au vin for a Friday event. She was splitting the work with bday boy's spouse, who had dropped by recipe and ingredients (including a wine/stock reduction Nancy had already prepared). But Betsy needed more liquid, so we threw in the Bourgueil and a bottle of the 2005 Moueix Merlot (Bordeaux AC), a sip was its usual straightforward qpr self. B/B-

Friday Betsy finished rehearsal, picked me up at home, and then we went to the party for Ron's 60th. 40-50 people, mostly jazz musicians. I helped with wine service and was in charge of 7 lbs of egg noodles, but managed to have quite a lot of fun. Wines tasted:

NV Delacroix Brut
Region undetermined, but this is a decent example of cheap bubbly, crisp if not deep. B-

2009 La Vieille Ferme rouge (Cotes du Ventoux)
Good choice as table pour for a non-geek party. Nice warm red fruit flavors, good acidity to be food friendly, solid honest wine. B

2010 Pico Maccario "Berro" Chardonnay
Innocuous, clean, C+

1996 Montus "Cuvee Prestige" Madiran
From magnum. Cassis, balanced, good length, a tiny bit of oak apparent. Good. I've decided I like Montus best from these less hyped vintages. B+/A-

1994 Havens "Bourriquot"
Some funk, animal and mushroom. Showing more Merlot character than Cab Franc, sweet and plush. B

2005 Andrew's Vat Alder Ridge Syrah
Very blueberryish, very low acid, and very sweet - and very popular, except with me. C+

Fun night with people telling great stories -especially the touring musican tales.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.