Posted to alt.food.wine

Default A monster Monterey Peninsula Winery 1976 Zinfandel finally isdrinkable

On 10/10/11 6:32 PM, cwdjrxyz wrote:
> The wine is Monterey Peninsula Winery 1976 Amador Zinfandel, Ferrero
> Ranch, Late Harvest (dry). It contains 15.5% alcohol with residual
> sugar of only 0.2%. The bottle was properly stored since release, and
> there were no cork or other issues.
>
> There were many Zinfandels and other red monsters made in California
> in the 1970s. Some of the wines of David Bruce come to mind. However
> this wine is the most extreme that I can recall. Many monsters such as
> this are undrinkable when young having extreme excess of tannins. This
> wine, even at 10 years, was about as good as a very green persimmon.
> However the wine is now ready to drink. It still has considerable
> fruit and is dry enough to serve with stronger red meats including
> game. It is a quite decent wine although a bit overblown for my taste.
> There is still considerable tannin, but not excessive. The color is
> still quite dark with only mild evidence of age around the rim. There
> is still plenty of dark fruit character in the bouquet and taste.
>
> Some information from the back label is interesting. The wine is said
> to be the biggest and most intense Zinfandel the winery had ever
> produced. The grapes were picked at 28% sugar by weight. 1976 was a
> very dry year. The grapes were very small, almost the size of
> currants. The wine was aged in old neutral oak cask, since the last
> thing it needed was more tannin from oak. It was said that the wine
> needed age. One could drink it early as a learning experience.

Thanks for this note. I recall with great fondness the '78 Zinfandel
from Monterey Peninsula Winery, source not noted. Jean and I discovered
a cache of it in a store in New York City back in '86/'87 when we were
graduate students and proceeded to polish off their stock over the
course of a cold NYC Winter

Mark Lipton