Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Spouse faux pas

I'm not sure what everybody's status is regarding spouse interest in
wine but while my wife has a good palate after 38 years of marraige
she still does stuff involving our cellar that drives me crazy! This
weekend after attending a party and drinking a bit of cheap chardonnay
and some red wine with dinner..2008 Orin Swift..The Prisoner...I heard
her banging around in our upstairs wine rack looking for something to
open at 10:45pm. I didn't think much of it as she usually sits in her
office and does emails, etc until around midnight and often sips a
glass of wine. I usually keep some inexpensive wines in that rack
just for that purpose. When I walked out to the kitchen to turn off
lights, etc. I found a bottle of 2006 Pahlmeyer Napa Valley Cabernet
(a recent gift from a friend for hosting a dinner) with the foil torn
off, a broken cork on the counter and a glass with cork floating in
it. I asked her what she was thinking when she opened the bottle of
premium Cabernet at 11:00pm and she shrugged and said.."You always
tell me to open anything in the rack so I did". OK, she knew it was a
gift and she put it in the rack instead of the cellar. She also knows
what Pahlmeyer wine sells for..so...when I pressed her on the issue
she responded by informing me that the gift was meant for her and as
such she could open it whenever she wished. Good point. 5 minutes
later she was sound asleep...victim of too much wine. I strained the
bits of cork and poured her wine out of her glass into mine and sipped
the cabernet as I contemplated the logic of women. Arrrrrgggggg!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 10, 11:29*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I'm not sure what everybody's status is regarding spouse interest in
> wine but while my wife has a good palate after 38 years of marraige
> she still does stuff involving our cellar that drives me crazy! *This
> weekend after attending a party and drinking a bit of cheap chardonnay
> and some red wine with dinner..2008 Orin Swift..The Prisoner...I heard
> her banging around in our upstairs wine rack looking for something to
> open at 10:45pm. *I didn't think much of it as she usually sits in her
> office and does emails, etc until around midnight and often sips a
> glass of wine. *I usually keep some inexpensive wines in that rack
> just for that purpose. *When I walked out to the kitchen to turn off
> lights, etc. *I found a bottle of 2006 Pahlmeyer Napa Valley Cabernet
> (a recent gift from a friend for hosting a dinner) with the foil torn
> off, a broken cork on the counter and a glass with cork floating in
> it. * I asked her what she was thinking when she opened the bottle of
> premium Cabernet at 11:00pm and she shrugged and said.."You always
> tell me to open anything in the rack so I did". *OK, she knew it was a
> gift and she put it in the rack instead of the cellar. *She also knows
> what Pahlmeyer wine sells for..so...when I pressed her on the issue
> she responded by informing me that the gift was meant for her and as
> such she could open it whenever she wished. *Good point. *5 minutes
> later she was sound asleep...victim of too much wine. *I strained the
> bits of cork and poured her wine out of her glass into mine and sipped
> the cabernet as I contemplated the logic of women. *Arrrrrgggggg!

Did anyone notice none of the rest of us share our stories of our
spouse issues similar? Do you think we are simply cowards?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 10/30/2011 7:43 AM, Dick N wrote:
> On Oct 10, 11:29 am, > wrote:
>> I'm not sure what everybody's status is regarding spouse interest in
>> wine but while my wife has a good palate after 38 years of marraige
>> she still does stuff involving our cellar that drives me crazy! This
>> weekend after attending a party and drinking a bit of cheap chardonnay
>> and some red wine with dinner..2008 Orin Swift..The Prisoner...I heard
>> her banging around in our upstairs wine rack looking for something to
>> open at 10:45pm. I didn't think much of it as she usually sits in her
>> office and does emails, etc until around midnight and often sips a
>> glass of wine. I usually keep some inexpensive wines in that rack
>> just for that purpose. When I walked out to the kitchen to turn off
>> lights, etc. I found a bottle of 2006 Pahlmeyer Napa Valley Cabernet
>> (a recent gift from a friend for hosting a dinner) with the foil torn
>> off, a broken cork on the counter and a glass with cork floating in
>> it. I asked her what she was thinking when she opened the bottle of
>> premium Cabernet at 11:00pm and she shrugged and said.."You always
>> tell me to open anything in the rack so I did". OK, she knew it was a
>> gift and she put it in the rack instead of the cellar. She also knows
>> what Pahlmeyer wine sells for..so...when I pressed her on the issue
>> she responded by informing me that the gift was meant for her and as
>> such she could open it whenever she wished. Good point. 5 minutes
>> later she was sound asleep...victim of too much wine. I strained the
>> bits of cork and poured her wine out of her glass into mine and sipped
>> the cabernet as I contemplated the logic of women. Arrrrrgggggg!

> Did anyone notice none of the rest of us share our stories of our
> spouse issues similar? Do you think we are simply cowards?

May I interject that I was disconcerted to find out that my wife was
more of a connoisseur of red wine than me even if my knowledge of
vintages and regions was greater. I don't know if I ever really admitted
this :-)
--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dick N > wrote in news:9d1a1a0a-b038-4eff-b552-
:

> On Oct 10, 11:29*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>> I'm not sure what everybody's status is regarding spouse interest in
>> wine but while my wife has a good palate after 38 years of marraige
>> she still does stuff involving our cellar that drives me crazy! *This
>> weekend after attending a party and drinking a bit of cheap chardonnay
>> and some red wine with dinner..2008 Orin Swift..The Prisoner...I heard
>> her banging around in our upstairs wine rack looking for something to
>> open at 10:45pm. *I didn't think much of it as she usually sits in her
>> office and does emails, etc until around midnight and often sips a
>> glass of wine. *I usually keep some inexpensive wines in that rack
>> just for that purpose. *When I walked out to the kitchen to turn off
>> lights, etc. *I found a bottle of 2006 Pahlmeyer Napa Valley Cabernet
>> (a recent gift from a friend for hosting a dinner) with the foil torn
>> off, a broken cork on the counter and a glass with cork floating in
>> it. * I asked her what she was thinking when she opened the bottle of
>> premium Cabernet at 11:00pm and she shrugged and said.."You always
>> tell me to open anything in the rack so I did". *OK, she knew it was a
>> gift and she put it in the rack instead of the cellar. *She also knows
>> what Pahlmeyer wine sells for..so...when I pressed her on the issue
>> she responded by informing me that the gift was meant for her and as
>> such she could open it whenever she wished. *Good point. *5 minutes
>> later she was sound asleep...victim of too much wine. *I strained the
>> bits of cork and poured her wine out of her glass into mine and sipped
>> the cabernet as I contemplated the logic of women. *Arrrrrgggggg!

> Did anyone notice none of the rest of us share our stories of our
> spouse issues similar? Do you think we are simply cowards?

I was in the hospital around 2000. When I returned home a bottle of her
favorite wine was missing. A full case in the cellar only had 11 bottles.
It was a 1989 Pichon Lalande. It was OK with me in the long run. I was
rushed to the hospital and I guess she had to console herself.

Fred.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 30, 7:43*am, Dick N > wrote:
> On Oct 10, 11:29*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > I'm not sure what everybody's status is regarding spouse interest in
> > wine but while my wife has a good palate after 38 years of marraige
> > she still does stuff involving our cellar that drives me crazy! *This
> > weekend after attending a party and drinking a bit of cheap chardonnay
> > and some red wine with dinner..2008 Orin Swift..The Prisoner...I heard
> > her banging around in our upstairs wine rack looking for something to
> > open at 10:45pm. *I didn't think much of it as she usually sits in her
> > office and does emails, etc until around midnight and often sips a
> > glass of wine. *I usually keep some inexpensive wines in that rack
> > just for that purpose. *When I walked out to the kitchen to turn off
> > lights, etc. *I found a bottle of 2006 Pahlmeyer Napa Valley Cabernet
> > (a recent gift from a friend for hosting a dinner) with the foil torn
> > off, a broken cork on the counter and a glass with cork floating in
> > it. * I asked her what she was thinking when she opened the bottle of
> > premium Cabernet at 11:00pm and she shrugged and said.."You always
> > tell me to open anything in the rack so I did". *OK, she knew it was a
> > gift and she put it in the rack instead of the cellar. *She also knows
> > what Pahlmeyer wine sells for..so...when I pressed her on the issue
> > she responded by informing me that the gift was meant for her and as
> > such she could open it whenever she wished. *Good point. *5 minutes
> > later she was sound asleep...victim of too much wine. *I strained the
> > bits of cork and poured her wine out of her glass into mine and sipped
> > the cabernet as I contemplated the logic of women. *Arrrrrgggggg!

> Did anyone notice none of the rest of us share our stories of our
> spouse issues similar? *Do you think we are simply cowards?- Hide quoted text -

Yes or single.

Posted to alt.food.wine

married but very careful what goes on the "open at will" rack. Though even then she asks- she worries about it more than me.
Sorry about your loss!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2011-10-10 10:29:13 -0500, Bi!! said:

> I'm not sure what everybody's status is regarding spouse interest in
> wine but while my wife has a good palate after 38 years of marraige
> she still does stuff involving our cellar that drives me crazy! This
> weekend after attending a party and drinking a bit of cheap chardonnay
> and some red wine with dinner..2008 Orin Swift..The Prisoner...I heard
> her banging around in our upstairs wine rack looking for something to
> open at 10:45pm. I didn't think much of it as she usually sits in her
> office and does emails, etc until around midnight and often sips a
> glass of wine. I usually keep some inexpensive wines in that rack
> just for that purpose. When I walked out to the kitchen to turn off
> lights, etc. I found a bottle of 2006 Pahlmeyer Napa Valley Cabernet
> (a recent gift from a friend for hosting a dinner) with the foil torn
> off, a broken cork on the counter and a glass with cork floating in
> it. I asked her what she was thinking when she opened the bottle of
> premium Cabernet at 11:00pm and she shrugged and said.."You always
> tell me to open anything in the rack so I did". OK, she knew it was a
> gift and she put it in the rack instead of the cellar. She also knows
> what Pahlmeyer wine sells for..so...when I pressed her on the issue
> she responded by informing me that the gift was meant for her and as
> such she could open it whenever she wished. Good point. 5 minutes
> later she was sound asleep...victim of too much wine. I strained the
> bits of cork and poured her wine out of her glass into mine and sipped
> the cabernet as I contemplated the logic of women. Arrrrrgggggg!

You sure she wasn't angry at you? Sounds like some possible
passive-aggressive behavior on her part.
--
Bill
"Wise Fool" -- Gandalf, _The Two Towers_

Faux tetrazzini Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 41 09-08-2014 06:09 PM
Faux Oz VP Martin Field Wine 0 05-06-2008 04:35 AM
Faux Suede gmcerveny Vegan 1 27-09-2007 10:55 PM
Market Faux Pas Andy[_2_] General Cooking 35 19-09-2007 02:43 PM