Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Rex Goliath Shiraz

It's excellent! The Cab isn't bad either.

--
// This is my opinion.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 9/26/2011 10:58 PM, jebblue wrote:
> It's excellent! The Cab isn't bad either.

Some years ago the RG Pinot Noir was the "talk of the town"
in this NG. At that time it was produced in California and
many folks, including me, purchased vast quantities. Now,
the PN is a product of Italy. It's OK, cheap, and I purchase
a few bottles from time to time. I haven't tried any other
RGs lately but if you like them, go for it!

Dick in MN
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dickr wrote:
> On 9/26/2011 10:58 PM, jebblue wrote:
>> It's excellent! The Cab isn't bad either.
>>

> Some years ago the RG Pinot Noir was the "talk of the town"
> in this NG. At that time it was produced in California and
> many folks, including me, purchased vast quantities. Now,
> the PN is a product of Italy. It's OK, cheap, and I purchase
> a few bottles from time to time. I haven't tried any other
> RGs lately but if you like them, go for it!

Well put, Dick. RG is an example of a "brand" wine that now sources
from all over. Other examples are Castle Rock, Cupcake, 2 Buck Chuck,
etc. The problem is knowing what you're getting since the contents can
change radically from year to year (or, in the case of 2BC, even lot to lot)

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 27, 6:18*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Dickr wrote:
> > On 9/26/2011 10:58 PM, jebblue wrote:
> >> It's excellent! The Cab isn't bad either.

> > Some years ago the RG Pinot Noir was the "talk of the town"
> > in this NG. At that time it was produced in California and
> > many folks, including me, purchased vast quantities. Now,
> > the PN is a product of Italy. It's OK, cheap, and I purchase
> > a few bottles from time to time. I haven't tried any other
> > RGs lately but if you like them, go for it!

> Well put, Dick. *RG is an example of a "brand" wine that now sources
> from all over. *Other examples are Castle Rock, Cupcake, 2 Buck Chuck,
> etc. *The problem is knowing what you're getting since the contents can
> change radically from year to year (or, in the case of 2BC, even lot to lot)
>
> Mark Lipton

Tortoise Creek is another one. When Mel Masters sourced from the
Languedoc the wines were consistantly good and value priced at under
$15 for a number of varietals both red and white. Since the sourcing
changed to California for some of the varietals, the price went up and
the quality went down.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 22:58:53 -0500, jebblue > wrote:

>It's excellent! The Cab isn't bad either.

Ick a thousand times over. Took two sips from a glass of it a couple
weeks ago and immediately ran for the sink to dump it. "30 Gold
Medals," indeed. Must have gotten them out of cereal boxes.

Rex Goliath PN - Hey Ed Dick R. Wine 5 21-03-2008 09:12 PM
Rex Goliath revisited Dick R. Wine 3 29-09-2006 07:47 PM
TN: Another paean to HRM Rex Goliath PN Mark Lipton Wine 17 01-07-2004 10:56 PM
Rex Goliath - Merlot - Ed? Dick R. Wine 2 18-11-2003 12:41 AM
Rex Goliath in SoCal D. Gerasimatos Wine 0 27-10-2003 07:21 PM