Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wine and Chile Throwdown at Coyote Cafe

Just went to a throwdown at the Santa Fe Wine and Chile Fiesta. 4
chefs, 2 master somelliers and 2 wines with each course. First course
Corn and duck salad with herbs. Wines 2010 Terrebrune Bandol Rose and
2009 Nigl Grüner Veltliner. Winner Terrebrune though I preferred the
Grüner. Second Salmon pinwheel with creamy cucumber, herb salad and
blood orange beurre blanc. Wines Cristom 2007 Reserve Pinot and 2008
Argos Katerina Santorini. Winner was Cristom though I preferred the
Argos an Assyrtiko. Never had this one before but bone dry and
minerally. 3rd course was short ribs and foie gras though it was more
of a short rib foie gras wellington. Wines 2009 Domaine Sang des
Cailloux Vacqueyras and 2007 Produttori del Barbaresco. Winner was the
Vacqueyras and I agreed on this one for the pairing. Final dish Merlot
poached Seckel pear with raspberry mousse, Chimayo caramel sauce and
almond tuille. Wines 2010 Terra da Vino Moscato d'Asti and 20009
Jaboulet Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. Winner easily was Moscato
d'Asti. All and all a great tasting and fun lunch.
Posted to alt.food.wine

lleichtman wrote:
> Just went to a throwdown at the Santa Fe Wine and Chile Fiesta. 4
> chefs, 2 master somelliers and 2 wines with each course. First course
> Corn and duck salad with herbs. Wines 2010 Terrebrune Bandol Rose and
> 2009 Nigl Grüner Veltliner. Winner Terrebrune though I preferred the
> Grüner. Second Salmon pinwheel with creamy cucumber, herb salad and
> blood orange beurre blanc. Wines Cristom 2007 Reserve Pinot and 2008
> Argos Katerina Santorini. Winner was Cristom though I preferred the
> Argos an Assyrtiko. Never had this one before but bone dry and
> minerally. 3rd course was short ribs and foie gras though it was more
> of a short rib foie gras wellington. Wines 2009 Domaine Sang des
> Cailloux Vacqueyras and 2007 Produttori del Barbaresco. Winner was the
> Vacqueyras and I agreed on this one for the pairing. Final dish Merlot
> poached Seckel pear with raspberry mousse, Chimayo caramel sauce and
> almond tuille. Wines 2010 Terra da Vino Moscato d'Asti and 20009
> Jaboulet Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. Winner easily was Moscato
> d'Asti. All and all a great tasting and fun lunch.

That sounds like great fun, Larry, and a nice collection of foods and
wines to try. We get the catalog for the Fiesta every year and your
event was the one that stood out in this year's catalog. I'm glad to
hear that it went as well as it did.

Cheers!
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 22, 6:36*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> lleichtman wrote:
> > Just went to a throwdown at the Santa Fe Wine and Chile Fiesta. 4
> > chefs, 2 master somelliers and 2 wines with each course. First course
> > Corn and duck salad with herbs. Wines 2010 Terrebrune Bandol Rose and
> > 2009 Nigl Gr ner Veltliner. Winner Terrebrune though I preferred the
> > Gr ner. Second Salmon pinwheel with creamy cucumber, herb salad and
> > blood orange beurre blanc. Wines Cristom 2007 Reserve Pinot and 2008
> > Argos Katerina Santorini. Winner was Cristom though I preferred the
> > Argos an Assyrtiko. Never had this one before but bone dry and
> > minerally. 3rd course was short ribs and foie gras though it was more
> > of a short rib foie gras wellington. Wines 2009 Domaine Sang des
> > Cailloux Vacqueyras and 2007 Produttori del Barbaresco. Winner was the
> > Vacqueyras and I agreed on this one for the pairing. Final dish Merlot
> > poached Seckel pear with raspberry mousse, Chimayo caramel sauce and
> > almond tuille. Wines 2010 Terra da Vino Moscato d'Asti and 20009
> > Jaboulet Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. Winner easily was Moscato
> > d'Asti. All and all a great tasting and fun lunch.

> That sounds like great fun, Larry, and a nice collection of foods and
> wines to try. *We get the catalog for the Fiesta every year and your
> event was the one that stood out in this year's catalog. *I'm glad to
> hear that it went as well as it did.
>
> Cheers!
> Mark Lipton

Lot of fun and always good to talk to master sommeliers.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 22, 6:19*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
> Just went to a throwdown at the Santa Fe Wine and Chile Fiesta. 4
> chefs, 2 master somelliers and 2 wines with each course. First course
> Corn and duck salad with herbs. Wines 2010 Terrebrune Bandol Rose and
> 2009 Nigl Grüner Veltliner. Winner Terrebrune though I preferred the
> Grüner. Second Salmon pinwheel with creamy cucumber, herb salad and
> blood orange beurre blanc. Wines Cristom 2007 Reserve Pinot and 2008
> Argos Katerina Santorini. Winner was Cristom though I preferred the
> Argos an Assyrtiko. Never had this one before but bone dry and
> minerally. 3rd course was short ribs and foie gras though it was more
> of a short rib foie gras wellington. Wines 2009 Domaine Sang des
> Cailloux Vacqueyras and 2007 Produttori del Barbaresco. Winner was the
> Vacqueyras and I agreed on this one for the pairing. Final dish Merlot
> poached Seckel pear with raspberry mousse, Chimayo caramel sauce and
> almond tuille. Wines 2010 Terra da Vino Moscato d'Asti and 20009
> Jaboulet Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. Winner easily was Moscato
> d'Asti. All and all a great tasting and fun lunch.

Larry...when you say "winners" are you referring to the best match for
the pairing or the wine itself? Just curious how the 2009 Baumes de
Venise was showing?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 26, 9:02*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Sep 22, 6:19*pm, lleichtman > wrote:
>

> > Just went to a throwdown at the Santa Fe Wine and Chile Fiesta. 4
> > chefs, 2 master somelliers and 2 wines with each course. First course
> > Corn and duck salad with herbs. Wines 2010 Terrebrune Bandol Rose and
> > 2009 Nigl Grüner Veltliner. Winner Terrebrune though I preferred the
> > Grüner. Second Salmon pinwheel with creamy cucumber, herb salad and
> > blood orange beurre blanc. Wines Cristom 2007 Reserve Pinot and 2008
> > Argos Katerina Santorini. Winner was Cristom though I preferred the
> > Argos an Assyrtiko. Never had this one before but bone dry and
> > minerally. 3rd course was short ribs and foie gras though it was more
> > of a short rib foie gras wellington. Wines 2009 Domaine Sang des
> > Cailloux Vacqueyras and 2007 Produttori del Barbaresco. Winner was the
> > Vacqueyras and I agreed on this one for the pairing. Final dish Merlot
> > poached Seckel pear with raspberry mousse, Chimayo caramel sauce and
> > almond tuille. Wines 2010 Terra da Vino Moscato d'Asti and 20009
> > Jaboulet Muscat de Beaumes de Venise. Winner easily was Moscato
> > d'Asti. All and all a great tasting and fun lunch.

> Larry...when you say "winners" are you referring to the best match for
> the pairing or the wine itself? *Just curious how the 2009 Baumes de
> Venise was showing?

The winners were decided by audience vote with 100 in attendance and
the vote was for best pairing. The Baumes de Venise was a bit too
acidic for the dessert but was still an excellent wine by itself. The
Terra da Vino was seductive and near perfect example of Moscato d'Asti
for me.