Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN:Italian wines and Burgundy on weekend

Friday was angel hair pasta with mussels and squid, the cooking wine was the 2009 Sartarelli "Tralivio" Verdicchio Dei Castelli Di Jesi. Lemon, a bit waxy/oily, a bit dilute but pleasant. B-

Dinner wine was a 375 ml of the 2008 Marco Felluga "Mongris" Pinot Grigio (Collio). Not one of those insipid PGs, this is rather full-bodied, with citrus and honeydew over floral elements. A bit too plodding to love, but interesting. B/B-

Saturday I dropped Betsy by Lincoln Towers for a party, while I made some rounds in midtown. When I picked her up, we decided to go to Frank Pepe for pizza. Sadly, sign on door said "no fresh clams" but we stayed anyway. Sausage and spinach pizza was pretty good, but I didn't love the Querceta Chianti (other choices were Citra Chianti or Pinot Grigio- I should have gotten a beer) - light, but with raspy tannins, seemed short and rough. Left most behind. C+

When we got home I opened the 2008 Bernard Defaix "Vaillons" Chablis 1er. This came across as thin and tight- muffled citrus fruit, light, not much happening. On night two is was improved- lemon, oyster shell, chalk,. but still a tad dilute. Not sure maybe just really shut down. B-

Sunday we did work around the house while listening to ceremonies from lower Manhattan. Betsy went to Kensico Dam to play (Westchester Philharmonic did Barber's Adagio) at a twilight service while I made dinner- grilled duck breast, arugula, grilled corn with garlic and red banana peppers, and Chinese long beans. Wine was the 2001 Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru. Tight, but opens nicely over a couple hours. By end it's showing black cherries, smoke, sandalwood. Good acidity, some fine-grained tannins. nice length. Still needs a little time for my tastes, I should have opened the village wine.. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency