Wine (alt.food.wine) Devoted to the discussion of wine and wine-related topics. A place to read and comment about wines, wine and food matching, storage systems, wine paraphernalia, etc. In general, any topic related to wine is valid fodder for the group.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-08-2011, 08:47 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default TN: Northern Italians (plus New Mexico and Burgundy)

Last night we walked over the hill to visit friends, the hound went too, enjoying her night walk even more as she realized where we were going. Munchies of nuts and a frittata, then we went onto deck for some spicy grilled squid, then a lovely squash and ovendried tomato pasta and salad.

Gruet Rose Brut
Sweet strawberry, a hint of yeast, easy going- no mistaking for Champagne, but clean and easy. B-

2007*Bavard*"Les Champs Perriers" Bourgogne blanc.
Good acids, apple and pear fruit, straightforward and a good backdrop to the calamari. B-/B

1996 Vallana Boca
I've generally been sceptical of Vallana post 1970, but this actually showed nicely- light to medium bodied, floral, some tar and roses over raspberry fruit, holding well. B

2005 Donnas (Vallee d'Aoste)
this from the co-op, I forgot to write down actual co-op name).
Ron handed me bottle to open, as I was pouring test sip the TCA assaulted me. He found a backup of same wine. Nice - a bit like the Boca but fresher, more elegant. Light, violets, bright cherry, earth. Fun wine. B+.

Fun night, fantastic post tropical storm weather, nice walk home

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-08-2011, 05:45 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 408
Default TN: Northern Italians (plus New Mexico and Burgundy)

On Aug 30, 1:47*pm, DaleW wrote:
Last night we walked over the hill to visit friends, the hound went too, enjoying her night walk even more as she realized where we were going. Munchies of nuts and a frittata, then we went onto deck for some spicy grilled squid, then a lovely squash and ovendried tomato pasta and salad.

Gruet Rose Brut
Sweet strawberry, a hint of yeast, easy going- no mistaking for Champagne, but clean and easy. B-

2007*Bavard*"Les Champs Perriers" Bourgogne blanc.
Good acids, apple and pear fruit, straightforward and a good backdrop to the calamari. B-/B

1996 Vallana Boca
I've generally been sceptical of Vallana post 1970, but this actually showed nicely- light to medium bodied, floral, some tar and roses over raspberry fruit, holding well. B

2005 Donnas (Vallee d'Aoste)
this from the co-op, I forgot to write down actual co-op name).
Ron handed me *bottle to open, as I was pouring test sip the TCA assaulted me. He found a backup of same wine. Nice - a bit like the Boca but fresher, more elegant. Light, violets, bright cherry, earth. Fun wine. B+.

Fun night, fantastic post tropical storm weather, nice walk home

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency


I much prefer the Gruet Brut. Usually a B for me.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 31-08-2011, 06:59 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,849
Default TN: Northern Italians (plus New Mexico and Burgundy)

On 8/31/11 12:45 PM, lleichtman wrote:
I much prefer the Gruet Brut. Usually a B for me.

I agree, Larry. Good QPR but nothing special.

Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:49 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default TN: Northern Italians (plus New Mexico and Burgundy)

On Aug 31, 1:59*pm, Mark Lipton wrote:
On 8/31/11 12:45 PM, lleichtman wrote:
*I much prefer the Gruet Brut. Usually a B for me.

I agree, Larry. *Good QPR but nothing special.

Mark Lipton

--
alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net


Me too. I often opt for the Gruet Brut when with a group....nobody
ever objects to the wine or the price.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TN: White Burgundy, Red Burgundy, Pink Burgundy DaleW Wine 1 11-03-2011 04:25 PM
Northern México style barbacoa Rolly Mexican Cooking 4 05-04-2009 11:51 PM
Tea in Northern New mexico Shen[_2_] Tea 0 20-04-2008 10:15 PM
Tea In Northern New Mexico Shen[_2_] Tea 0 20-04-2008 09:06 PM
Mexico - Is Mexico City a good destination for food? Glenn Jacobs General Cooking 0 21-10-2003 06:20 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017