Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Northern Italians (plus New Mexico and Burgundy)

Last night we walked over the hill to visit friends, the hound went too, enjoying her night walk even more as she realized where we were going. Munchies of nuts and a frittata, then we went onto deck for some spicy grilled squid, then a lovely squash and ovendried tomato pasta and salad.

Gruet Rose Brut
Sweet strawberry, a hint of yeast, easy going- no mistaking for Champagne, but clean and easy. B-

2007*Bavard*"Les Champs Perriers" Bourgogne blanc.
Good acids, apple and pear fruit, straightforward and a good backdrop to the calamari. B-/B

1996 Vallana Boca
I've generally been sceptical of Vallana post 1970, but this actually showed nicely- light to medium bodied, floral, some tar and roses over raspberry fruit, holding well. B

2005 Donnas (Vallee d'Aoste)
this from the co-op, I forgot to write down actual co-op name).
Ron handed me bottle to open, as I was pouring test sip the TCA assaulted me. He found a backup of same wine. Nice - a bit like the Boca but fresher, more elegant. Light, violets, bright cherry, earth. Fun wine. B+.

Fun night, fantastic post tropical storm weather, nice walk home

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 30, 1:47*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Last night we walked over the hill to visit friends, the hound went too, enjoying her night walk even more as she realized where we were going. Munchies of nuts and a frittata, then we went onto deck for some spicy grilled squid, then a lovely squash and ovendried tomato pasta and salad.
>
> Gruet Rose Brut
> Sweet strawberry, a hint of yeast, easy going- no mistaking for Champagne, but clean and easy. B-
>
> 2007*Bavard*"Les Champs Perriers" Bourgogne blanc.
> Good acids, apple and pear fruit, straightforward and a good backdrop to the calamari. B-/B
>
> 1996 Vallana Boca
> I've generally been sceptical of Vallana post 1970, but this actually showed nicely- light to medium bodied, floral, some tar and roses over raspberry fruit, holding well. B
>
> 2005 Donnas (Vallee d'Aoste)
> this from the co-op, I forgot to write down actual co-op name).
> Ron handed me *bottle to open, as I was pouring test sip the TCA assaulted me. He found a backup of same wine. Nice - a bit like the Boca but fresher, more elegant. Light, violets, bright cherry, earth. Fun wine. B+.
>
> Fun night, fantastic post tropical storm weather, nice walk home
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

I much prefer the Gruet Brut. Usually a B for me.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/31/11 12:45 PM, lleichtman wrote:
I much prefer the Gruet Brut. Usually a B for me.

I agree, Larry. Good QPR but nothing special.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 31, 1:59*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 8/31/11 12:45 PM, lleichtman wrote:
> *I much prefer the Gruet Brut. Usually a B for me.
>
> I agree, Larry. *Good QPR but nothing special.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Me too. I often opt for the Gruet Brut when with a group....nobody
ever objects to the wine or the price.