Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Austria and Australia (plus Beaujolais and Cava)

Had some friends who've been away and their pup over for dinner last night, doggie reunion featured marrow bones, the people started with an eggplant and pepper dip with pita chips and cucumber; dinner was porterhouses with a coffee/cumin rub, grilled potato salad with green beans and yellow cherry tomatoes, and a Caprese salad.

NV Castellroig Cava
Crisp, clean, I continue to really enjoy this as a value bubbly. B

2007 Prager "Hollerin" Smaragd Riesling
Big, beefy, dry, very ripe white nectarine fruit but with some acidic backbone that reminds me you can drizzle lime juice on your pit fruits. Interesting, with a future. B+

2003 Yarra Yering Dry Red #1
This is a nice compromise between my Old World tastes and Ron's more New World preferences. Juicy black currant fruit, pepper/spice, just a hint of oak, enough acidity to keep it lively. Could probably stay undetected as a ringer in either a Bordeaux or CalCab blend tasting. Not jammy, though it could use more length. B/B+

2009 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) Cote de Brouilly
This is a little tight at first, but opens nicely, red cherry with cocoa and raspberry, medium weight, good finish, sappy, fresh. B++

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> 2009 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) Cote de Brouilly
> This is a little tight at first, but opens nicely, red cherry with cocoa and raspberry, medium weight, good finish, sappy, fresh. B++

Dale,
Do you think that this will benefit from more time in the bottle?
I've got a few of these and my impressions of '09 are that most of the
wines have structure to spare.

Mark Lipton

p.s. An '09 Bone Jolly Rouge tonight with braised pork tenderloin was
perhaps the best bottle of this yet. Juicy and very tasty!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 23, 10:16*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > 2009 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) Cote de Brouilly
> > This is a little tight at first, but opens nicely, red cherry with cocoa and raspberry, medium weight, good finish, sappy, fresh. B++

> Dale,
> * * Do you think that this will benefit from more time in the bottle?
> I've got a few of these and my impressions of '09 are that most of the
> wines have structure to spare.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> p.s. *An '09 Bone Jolly Rouge tonight with braised pork tenderloin was
> perhaps the best bottle of this yet. *Juicy and very tasty!

Mark,
I just had a bottle of the '09 ESJ Bone Jolly Rouge last week at
Sage Bistro with braised pork cheeks and it was very good. I must
admit that it was a bit tight on opening and it took a while to open
up but it was a perfect pairing with the pork.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 23, 8:16*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > 2009 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) Cote de Brouilly
> > This is a little tight at first, but opens nicely, red cherry with cocoa and raspberry, medium weight, good finish, sappy, fresh. B++

> Dale,
> * * Do you think that this will benefit from more time in the bottle?
> I've got a few of these and my impressions of '09 are that most of the
> wines have structure to spare.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> p.s. *An '09 Bone Jolly Rouge tonight with braised pork tenderloin was
> perhaps the best bottle of this yet. *Juicy and very tasty!

I usually don't keep Brouilly's too long. Most of the time not more
than 1-2 years.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/25/11 12:03 PM, lleichtman wrote:

> I usually don't keep Brouilly's too long. Most of the time not more
> than 1-2 years.

Larry,
Cote de Brouilly (in contrast to Brouilly) is one of Beaujolais's
bigger Crus and in '09 arguably the Cote de Brouilly excelled beyond
others such as Morgon and Regnie.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 25, 10:46*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> On 8/25/11 12:03 PM, lleichtman wrote:
>
> > I usually don't keep Brouilly's too long. Most of the time not more
> > than 1-2 years.

> Larry,
> * Cote de Brouilly (in contrast to Brouilly) is one of Beaujolais's
> bigger Crus and in '09 arguably the Cote de Brouilly excelled beyond
> others such as Morgon and Regnie.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I have a tendency to drink Beaujolais up faster than most wines.
Probably not correct to do so but I like the initial fruitiness of
Beaujolais that seems to disappear over time with no increase in
complexity. Just my experience.
Posted to alt.food.wine

> I have a tendency to drink Beaujolais up faster than most wines.
> Probably not correct to do so but I like the initial fruitiness of
> Beaujolais that seems to disappear over time with no increase in
> complexity. Just my experience.

Staying power in Beaujolais is to a very large extent dependent on
whether it was made using maceration carbonique or not. Wines where MC
has been used on a large aprt of the grapes will not age gracefully.
Wines made using a traditional wine making style from a good producer
can be quite long-lived - we once had a Moulin a Vent from 1947 that
compared favorably with an Echezeaux from the same vintage - the
Echezeaux had a longer after taste, though.
I once, by mistake, on an auction, bought two pot lyonnais (46 cl) of
Beaujolais-VIllage 1964 and they were both delightful. Among the
better Bojo I've tasted.
As the Burgundians (Jadot, Henriot ...) are taking over some of the
good terroir in the crus, we will no doubt see a return to what is, in
fact, a more traditional style of wine making, including wines that
will cellar quite well.
Nevertheless, they no doubt will drink well on the fruit, just as some
of the "real" Burgs do.
Cheers
Nils
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/26/11 8:00 AM, NilsGLindgren wrote:
>> I have a tendency to drink Beaujolais up faster than most wines.
>> Probably not correct to do so but I like the initial fruitiness of
>> Beaujolais that seems to disappear over time with no increase in
>> complexity. Just my experience.

> Staying power in Beaujolais is to a very large extent dependent on
> whether it was made using maceration carbonique or not. Wines where MC
> has been used on a large aprt of the grapes will not age gracefully.
> Wines made using a traditional wine making style from a good producer
> can be quite long-lived - we once had a Moulin a Vent from 1947 that
> compared favorably with an Echezeaux from the same vintage - the

I must quibble with you a bit here, Nils. The late Jules Chauvet, the
single person most responsible for the resurgence of Beaujolais in the
past 10-20 years, was an advocate of CM for Gamay-based wines. Many of
his disciples -- Marcel Lapierre, Guy Breton, Jean-Paul Thevenet, Jean
Foillard and (arguably) Joseph Chamonard -- make some of the most
ageworthy wines in the Beaujolais and all of them to my knowledge use
partial or complete CM. That being said, several vignerons (Jean-Paul
Brun and Michel Tete among them) are toying with Burdundian vinification
methods (destemming and cold soak), but that is somewhat controversial
right now. For an interesting discussion, see:
<http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/02/mysteries-of-beaujolais/>

Cheers!
Mark Lipton

TN: Australia, Austria, Northern Italy, US, France DaleW Wine 0 14-12-2016 04:46 PM
TN: ESJ, Guignier, Bedrock, and a cava DaleW Wine 0 29-07-2016 08:10 PM
TN: Riojas, CA PG, Cava,and satellite Bdx DaleW Wine 1 29-09-2014 05:27 PM
Cava Pere Ventura JaneRathore Wine 1 22-05-2013 10:52 PM
Cava, which ones do you like lleichtman Wine 10 22-03-2013 04:04 PM