Posted to alt.food.wine

Default European restaurant and wine suggestions

In mid-September, my wife and I will be visiting Vienna, Salzberg,
Budapest and Prague. We would appreciate suggestions for restaurants to
try in any or all of those cities. We like to try things we cannot get
in the US, but unfortunately, we do not have any of the languages.

We would also appreciate suggestions regarding wine. We have enjoyed GV
from Brundlmayer, Nigl, and Hirsch, and riesling from Brundlmayer, but
that is about it. We've never had an Austrian red, and the only tokaji
we've had (5 putts) was disappointing.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Don Eagle
Posted to alt.food.wine

Donald Eagle wrote:
> In mid-September, my wife and I will be visiting Vienna, Salzberg,
> Budapest and Prague. We would appreciate suggestions for restaurants to
> try in any or all of those cities. We like to try things we cannot get
> in the US, but unfortunately, we do not have any of the languages.
>
> We would also appreciate suggestions regarding wine. We have enjoyed GV
> from Brundlmayer, Nigl, and Hirsch, and riesling from Brundlmayer, but
> that is about it. We've never had an Austrian red, and the only tokaji
> we've had (5 putts) was disappointing.
>
> Any help will be much appreciated.

Regarding Austrian reds, the most visible one is Blaufrankisch and a top
producer of Blaufrankisch is Moric. You've had GV from many of the
top producers, but add to your list Nikolaihof and try more Austrian
Rieslings if you like dry-styled Riesling. For other interesting white
wines, you could look to the wines of Heidi Schröck in Rust, who makes
Gelber Muskateller, Muscat and Furmint (the grape of Tokaji).

In Vienna, the top restaurant for quite a while has been Steiereck.
It's been a few years since I've been there, but by all accounts it's
still doing well. When in Vienna, you should also avail yourselves of
coffee and pastries at 4 pm or so at one of the many excellent
Café-Konditoreis. A classic place to go for such delicacies is Demel.
You should also not miss a chance to try Tafelspitz, the Viennese
equivalent of pot-a-feu and the favorite dish of Emperor Franz-Joseph I.

If Michael Pronay, the Austrian wine critic, happens to read this, I'm
sure that he can provide far more extensive and accurate recommendations
than I.

Have fun! Those are all great cities.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:

> If Michael Pronay, the Austrian wine critic, happens to read
> this, I'm sure that he can provide far more extensive and
> accurate recommendations than I.

Thank you Mark, Hi Donald!

Mark is right that Stei_r_ereck ist still one of the best (most
probably the best) eatery in town. Take a look (website in
english):

<http://steirereck.at/index_e.php>

The sommelier there is Adolf ("Adi") Schmid, I have known him for
over a quarter of a century, he is one of the greatest experts in
Austrian wines I know.

There is a rather new, less high-end restaurant in Prater, Vienna's
most famous amusement park. It's called "Stadtgasthaus Eisvogel",
it's situated right next to the Riesenrad, the well-known giant
Ferris wheel. It's run by Herbert Schmid, the brother of Adi
Schmid. Herbert used to work at Steirereck, the wine list quite
reflects this, and the eating is more classic Vienna style. Take a
look:

<http://www.stadtgasthaus-eisvogel.at/englisch/index.htm>

As to which other restaurants are worthwile at the moment, please
to not hesitate to contact Florian Holzer on Facebook, he's quite
active over there, he has been the editor and author of "Wien wie
es isst" ("Vienna as she eats"), the most respected Vienna Food
Guide, for decades.

All the best, and If I remember something else, I well let you know
here.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/14/11 1:16 AM, Michael Pronay wrote:
> Mark Lipton wrote:
>
>> If Michael Pronay, the Austrian wine critic, happens to read
>> this, I'm sure that he can provide far more extensive and
>> accurate recommendations than I.

> Thank you Mark, Hi Donald!
>
> Mark is right that Stei_r_ereck ist still one of the best (most
> probably the best) eatery in town. Take a look (website in
> english):
>
> <http://steirereck.at/index_e.php>
>
> The sommelier there is Adolf ("Adi") Schmid, I have known him for
> over a quarter of a century, he is one of the greatest experts in
> Austrian wines I know.
>
> There is a rather new, less high-end restaurant in Prater, Vienna's
> most famous amusement park. It's called "Stadtgasthaus Eisvogel",
> it's situated right next to the Riesenrad, the well-known giant
> Ferris wheel. It's run by Herbert Schmid, the brother of Adi
> Schmid. Herbert used to work at Steirereck, the wine list quite
> reflects this, and the eating is more classic Vienna style. Take a
> look:
>
> <http://www.stadtgasthaus-eisvogel.at/englisch/index.htm>
>
> As to which other restaurants are worthwile at the moment, please
> to not hesitate to contact Florian Holzer on Facebook, he's quite
> active over there, he has been the editor and author of "Wien wie
> es isst" ("Vienna as she eats"), the most respected Vienna Food
> Guide, for decades.
>
> All the best, and If I remember something else, I well let you know
> here.
>
> M.

Thank you, Mark and Michael for all the information. I have copied your
information to my PDA, so I will have it with me when we go.

I will also check out the web sites you mentioned, Michael.

Because I have lurked on this newsgroup for years (though almost never
posted) I am familiar with both your names. I use alt.food.wine as my
primary wine reference for wines to try. Also, Michael, you may not
remember, but years ago you gave me some advice about how long I could
expect to enjoy some 2001 Brundlmayer Ried Lamm GV after I acquired a
case. It won't last the 20 years you mentioned because it will have been
drunk before then. But we have been drinking a bottle every year or so,
and it is still a lovely wine.

Thank you both again.

Don Eagle