Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: Peillot, Brundlmayer, Huet, Lapierre, etc

Monday with cheese/vegetable tacos the 2002 Huet Vouvray Petillant Brut. I'm not good enough at organizing cellar to know whether this was first or second release, they're all mixed up now. Despite rumors of closing this bottle showed beautfully. Apple cobbler, dough, a little orange zest, soft petillance, very fine mousse, good acids. A-/B+

Tuesday was chicken schnitzel over a garden herb salad accompanied by slivered snow peas and the 2001 Bründlmayer "Langenloiser Steinmassel" Riesling. I actually thought I was grabbing a GV till I got upstairs, but this did fine with the dish. Petrol over white pit fruits, moderate acidity, decent length, fully mature. Holds well overnight. B

Wednesday the humidity dropped and we had a perfect night by the river- low humidity, light breeze,,and good jazz from the Jo Lawry group. A spectacular sunset over the Palisades, kids to keep the hound occupied, and good food completed the picture. Betsy had made Vietnamese spiced duck breast over a cuke/radish salad, we also brought Isle of Mull Cheddar and Delice de Bourgogne, plus others shared dips, meats,and more. Shockingly, wines were sampled:

NV Gran Pasion Cava
Good acidity, juicy apple fruit, a bit of lemon. Simple but nice. B-

2010 Castellroig "Ull de Llebre - Vi de Terrer" Rosado. *This could pass for a light red. Red cherry with a bit of tree bark and citrus, Good with the duck. B

NV ("IX") Lapierre Raisins Gaulois
This is the 2009 version, a bit fuller and rounder than the 2010, but equally tasty. Red berries, straightforward without being simplistic, fun. Surprises me a little that a couple of folks who tend towards Burly Ripe Reds quite liked. Another good match for picnic duck, lightly chilled. Fun stuff. B+/B

2009 Peillot Altesse (Roussette du Bugey Montagnieu)
Pure essence of lemonade. OK, I realize that doesn't make sense actually, but that's what I wrote down. Just a hint of RS but with a sense of sweet honied fruit and lemon tanginess, fresh, vibrant. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.