Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Chianti Classico, whom to visit?

Hello,
Lo these many moons. Long time no see-um. A few years ago my ISP decided I did not need connection to the User Groups, and discontinued the service. Some attempts at using other means proved fruitless, then other things took over. Nevertheless, I'm back - a short roll call shows the presence of the usual suspects still posting ... During my absence I have passed a few exams in the Swedish tasting group "Munskänkarna" (The Tastevins in Frenglish) and am a sometime lecturer there. I continue to be predominantly Franco/Italophile but have developed a love for NZ and Hunter Valley Semillon.
Enough sentimental waffling already.
---
Me and my wife (Xina to the old guys) are planning a trip to Tuscany and Chianti Classico. We do believe we see a move back to the native grapes of Tuscany (even though wines made with 100% Sangiovese are, formally, IIRC, not allowed under the DOCG), and hopefully, more sustainable practices. Unfortunately, too often we here "respect for the traditions and for the land" repeated as a mantra while one is trying to hide the reverse osmosis kit and the industry sized packages of tartric acid ...
Where do we go? Whom do we visit? WE are not adverse to conversing in broken Italian.

Cheers

Nils
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 11, 10:23*am, NilsGLindgren > wrote:
> Hello,
> Lo these many moons. Long time no see-um. A few years ago my ISP decided I did not need connection to the User Groups, and discontinued the service. Some attempts at using other means proved fruitless, then other things took over. Nevertheless, I'm back - a short roll call shows the presence of the usual suspects still posting ... During my absence I have passed a few exams in the Swedish tasting group "Munskänkarna" (The Tastevins in Frenglish) and am a sometime lecturer there. I continue to be predominantly Franco/Italophile but have developed a love for NZ and Hunter Valley Semillon.
> Enough sentimental waffling already.
> ---
> Me and my wife (Xina to the old guys) are planning a trip to Tuscany and Chianti Classico. We do believe we see a move back to the native grapes of Tuscany (even though wines made with 100% Sangiovese are, formally, IIRC, not allowed under the DOCG), and hopefully, more sustainable practices. Unfortunately, too often we here "respect for the traditions and for the land" repeated as a mantra while one is trying to hide the reverse osmosis kit and the industry sized packages of tartric acid ...
> Where do we go? Whom do we visit? WE are not adverse to conversing in broken Italian.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

Hello Nils, welcome back. I have always enjoyed visiting with Paolo De
Marchi of Isole e Olena. I'm not a huge fan of the Chianti but I
really like his 100% Sangiovese "Cepperello" and they make a very good
Vin Santo. Paolo has some interesting views on the current state of
Classico and isn't shy about sharing them.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/11/11 10:23 AM, NilsGLindgren wrote:
> Me and my wife
> (Xina to the old guys) are planning a trip to Tuscany and Chianti
> Classico. We do believe we see a move back to the native grapes of
> Tuscany (even though wines made with 100% Sangiovese are, formally,
> IIRC, not allowed under the DOCG), and hopefully, more sustainable
> practices. Unfortunately, too often we here "respect for the
> traditions and for the land" repeated as a mantra while one is trying
> to hide the reverse osmosis kit and the industry sized packages of
> tartric acid ... Where do we go? Whom do we visit? WE are not adverse
> to conversing in broken Italian.

First of all, congratulations to you and welcome back, Nils! Lost access
to Usenet groups is a common problem. If you want an IMO better
solution than Giggle Groups, you might want to try one of the free NSPs
I list below:

news.aioe.org (text groups only, no registration, very reliable)
news.eternal-september.org (ditto, but requires free registration)
news.datemas.de (ditto)
news.tornevall.net (ditto)
usenet4all.se (ditto)

Now, on to your question. I've never toured Chianti, but on the basis
of their wines, I'd seek out the following:

Montevertine in Radda
Fattoria Selvapiana near Rufina
Fattoria di Fèlsina (Castelnuovo Berardenga)

They all seem to welcome visitors and I've loved wines from each of
these estates, Montevertine especially.

Cheers!
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Great to see you here again!

It used to be true that 100% Sangiovese was not admitted, but that changed more than a decade ago. My favorite Tuscan wine Le Pergole Torte (from Montevertine whom Mark mentions) could now be legally Chianti Classico, but stuck with status quo.

I also haven't visited Tuscany, but if I did my list would echo Mark's (and maybe add Fontodi and Castello di Ama).

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 11, 8:23*am, NilsGLindgren > wrote:
> Hello,
> Lo these many moons. Long time no see-um. A few years ago my ISP decided I did not need connection to the User Groups, and discontinued the service. Some attempts at using other means proved fruitless, then other things took over. Nevertheless, I'm back - a short roll call shows the presence of the usual suspects still posting ... During my absence I have passed a few exams in the Swedish tasting group "Munskänkarna" (The Tastevins in Frenglish) and am a sometime lecturer there. I continue to be predominantly Franco/Italophile but have developed a love for NZ and Hunter Valley Semillon.
> Enough sentimental waffling already.
> ---
> Me and my wife (Xina to the old guys) are planning a trip to Tuscany and Chianti Classico. We do believe we see a move back to the native grapes of Tuscany (even though wines made with 100% Sangiovese are, formally, IIRC, not allowed under the DOCG), and hopefully, more sustainable practices. Unfortunately, too often we here "respect for the traditions and for the land" repeated as a mantra while one is trying to hide the reverse osmosis kit and the industry sized packages of tartric acid ...
> Where do we go? Whom do we visit? WE are not adverse to conversing in broken Italian.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

Our preference was non-Chianti Tuscany, Brunello, and the Piedmont.
The only Chianti producer we really liked was Felsina.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 07:23:07 -0700 (PDT), NilsGLindgren
> wrote:

>Hello,
>Lo these many moons. Long time no see-um. A few years ago my ISP decided I did not need connection to the User Groups, and discontinued the service. Some attempts at using other means proved fruitless, then other things took over. Nevertheless, I'm back - a short roll call shows the presence of the usual suspects still posting ... During my absence I have passed a few exams in the Swedish tasting group "Munskänkarna" (The Tastevins in Frenglish) and am a sometime lecturer there. I continue to be predominantly Franco/Italophile but have developed a love for NZ and Hunter Valley Semillon.
>Enough sentimental waffling already.
>---
>Me and my wife (Xina to the old guys) are planning a trip to Tuscany and Chianti Classico. We do believe we see a move back to the native grapes of Tuscany (even though wines made with 100% Sangiovese are, formally, IIRC, not allowed under the DOCG), and hopefully, more sustainable practices. Unfortunately, too often we here "respect for the traditions and for the land" repeated as a mantra while one is trying to hide the reverse osmosis kit and the industry sized packages of tartric acid ...
>Where do we go? Whom do we visit? WE are not adverse to conversing in broken Italian.
>
>Cheers
>
>Nils

Many years ago...way too many...I had a grand experience in the
region. Staying in Florence and went for a grand lunch at a Michelin
one-star in a nearby village. Tiny tables in a small place,
shoulder-to-shoulder. Struggling with the menu a gracious older woman
translated for me then struck up a conversation. She was Tuscan but
had been schooled in New York and was eager to practice her English.

Long story short, she invited us to visit her home the next day and
gave our driver directions.

The "home" was a magnificent property called Villa Belvedere. Probably
two hundred acres of vineyards and olive trees. The house had been
used by the occupying Nazi's in WW II as the general's Hq. The family
now produced Chianti Classico under the Villa Belvedere label. We
tasted wines, enjoyed the visit and took several bottles home.

A recent search revealed that now the property is a bed-and-breakfast.
My point is to roam the area and be open to experiences. Many
incredible things happen in life that way.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks, all ...
So, to sum it up we have this list:
Fontodi
Castello di Ama
Montevertine in Radda
Fattoria Selvapiana near Rufina
Fattoria di Felsina (Castelnuovo Berardenga) (2 votes)
Isole e Olena (Paolo Marchi)
(Villa Belvedere)
Don't do Chianti Classico, do Morellino di Scansano:
Gianpaolo Paglia's Poggio Argentiera near Grosseto

There is a special reason why it should be Chianti Classico but it is
classified
No real surprises in the list and much what I was considering, will
have to look into their web sites and perhaps correspond in my broken
Italian.
As Ed pointed out, sometimes life springs wonderful surprises, and, if
you taste some good wines in one place and tell them you like them,
they just might send you on to somebody THEY know whom They like,
right?
Mike, I don't know when, or even if, nothing is settled, but, we will
be doing Beaujolais in spring (May 9 - 12), or, rather, I will because
Xina has a conference in Lyon so I thought I could commute to Morgon,
Fleurie etc. After the conference we most likely will spend a few days
up there.
Morellino di Scansano was the first wine to give me a real eye-opener
back in 1996 when we spent ten days in a place called Fonteblanda,
near the coast in Maremma - we passed a small wine shop, stopped and
oogled the Brunellos, and the owner showed us the MdS, opened a
bottle, poured two gigantic glasses ... best MdS I have ever tasted,
bought a few bottles but they did not take well to the journey home
(no AC in the old old car ) and never found any that gave me the
same immediate pleasure.

CHianti has for the last few years been if not everyday drinking, then
at least very common place at the table of the Dynamic Duo - we find
it affordable for a Thursday night when we want something better than
a Côte du Rhone. Mostly Fonterutoli, for some reason.

Your help is vastly appreciated.

Cheers

Nils
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 13 Aug 2011 12:38:13 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>On 13/08/2011 10:41, NilsGLindgren wrote:
>> Thanks, all ...

>Montevertine is one wine I find to be consistently good. One I haven't
>tried in a while is Percarlo, I remember it also being a reliable great
>wine. Even though neither are my preferred style, cannot help liking them.
>

>About Brunello (should be a new thread...). I know that the @#$%^mess
>that is going on there about Sangiovese being not-so-secretly and
>illegally cut with abundant Cab is still going on, but consider this (ok
>a little polemic):
>Sangiovese pure is a recent phenomenon, Sangiovese has alway been cut
>with other varieties including white ones, and for good reason (Nils you
>know my theory of Souther blends / Northern varietals), consistent with
>Southern Rhone, Bordeaux and to some extent even Northern Rhone.
>
>Now WHY NOT blend Sangiovese with Cabernet? If the result is good, then
>maybe it's time to revise the DOCG? I mean, DOCG in Italy now means
>nothing, there are so many DOCGs now, even for areas with ABSOLUTELY NO
>TRADITION of making good wine, and some that do not produce a single
>wine that is anything more than mediocre.
>
>Nils please investigate while you are there.
>
>ciao
>
>Mike

Mike, are you talking about IGT in your comments about Sangiovese/Cab
blending? It seems like the "Super Tuscan" buzz of a decade or so ago
has largely quieted down. Does that mean more acceptance, decline of
the novelty, or abandonment of the concept/quality?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 13, 4:41*am, NilsGLindgren > wrote:
> Thanks, all ...
> So, to sum it up we have this list:
> Fontodi
> Castello di Ama
> Montevertine in Radda
> Fattoria Selvapiana near Rufina
> Fattoria di Felsina (Castelnuovo Berardenga) (2 votes)
> *Isole e Olena (Paolo Marchi)
> (Villa Belvedere)
> Don't do Chianti Classico, do Morellino di Scansano:
> Gianpaolo Paglia's Poggio Argentiera near Grosseto
>
> There is a special reason why it should be Chianti Classico but it is
> classified
> No real surprises in the list and much what I was considering, will
> have to look into their web sites and perhaps correspond in my broken
> Italian.
> As Ed pointed out, sometimes life springs wonderful surprises, and, if
> you taste some good wines in one place and tell them you like them,
> they just might send you on to somebody THEY know whom They like,
> right?
> Mike, I don't know when, or even if, nothing is settled, but, we will
> be doing Beaujolais in spring (May 9 - 12), or, rather, I will because
> Xina has a conference in Lyon so I thought I could commute to Morgon,
> Fleurie etc. After the conference we most likely will spend a few days
> up there.
> Morellino di Scansano was the first wine to give me a real eye-opener
> back in 1996 when we spent ten days in a place called Fonteblanda,
> near the coast in Maremma - we passed a small wine shop, stopped and
> oogled the Brunellos, and the owner showed us the MdS, opened a
> bottle, poured two gigantic glasses ... best MdS I have ever tasted,
> bought a few bottles but they did not take well to the journey home
> (no AC in the old old car ) and never found any that gave me the
> same immediate pleasure.
>
> CHianti has for the last few years been if not everyday drinking, then
> at least very common place at the table of the Dynamic Duo - we find
> it affordable for a Thursday night when we want something better than
> a Côte du Rhone. Mostly Fonterutoli, for some reason.
>
> Your help is vastly appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

Just an FYI. The folks at Isole e Olena speak English very well.
Posted to alt.food.wine
Luk Luk is offline

Il 11/08/2011 16.23, NilsGLindgren ha scritto:
> Hello,
> Lo these many moons. Long time no see-um. A few years ago my ISP decided I did not need connection to the User Groups, and discontinued the service. Some attempts at using other means proved fruitless, then other things took over. Nevertheless, I'm back - a short roll call shows the presence of the usual suspects still posting ... During my absence I have passed a few exams in the Swedish tasting group "Munskänkarna" (The Tastevins in Frenglish) and am a sometime lecturer there. I continue to be predominantly Franco/Italophile but have developed a love for NZ and Hunter Valley Semillon.
> Enough sentimental waffling already.
> ---
> Me and my wife (Xina to the old guys) are planning a trip to Tuscany and Chianti Classico. We do believe we see a move back to the native grapes of Tuscany (even though wines made with 100% Sangiovese are, formally, IIRC, not allowed under the DOCG), and hopefully, more sustainable practices. Unfortunately, too often we here "respect for the traditions and for the land" repeated as a mantra while one is trying to hide the reverse osmosis kit and the industry sized packages of tartric acid ...
> Where do we go? Whom do we visit? WE are not adverse to conversing in broken Italian.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

I suggest you to stay here
http://www.podereterreno.it/poderete...Home_page.html
and visit (and buy!) here in primis (100% sangiovese from ever)
http://www.montevertine.it/
then also
http://www.monteraponi.it/ and http://www.volpaia.it/sito/index.php

Luk

Posted to alt.food.wine
Luk Luk is offline

Il 30/08/2011 12.25, Mike Tommasi ha scritto:
> On 30/08/2011 12:08, Luk wrote:
>> Il 11/08/2011 16.23, NilsGLindgren ha scritto:
>>> Hello,
>>> Lo these many moons. Long time no see-um. A few years ago my ISP
>>> decided I did not need connection to the User Groups, and discontinued
>>> the service. Some attempts at using other means proved fruitless, then
>>> other things took over. Nevertheless, I'm back - a short roll call
>>> shows the presence of the usual suspects still posting ... During my
>>> absence I have passed a few exams in the Swedish tasting group
>>> "Munskänkarna" (The Tastevins in Frenglish) and am a sometime lecturer
>>> there. I continue to be predominantly Franco/Italophile but have
>>> developed a love for NZ and Hunter Valley Semillon.
>>> Enough sentimental waffling already.
>>> ---
>>> Me and my wife (Xina to the old guys) are planning a trip to Tuscany
>>> and Chianti Classico. We do believe we see a move back to the native
>>> grapes of Tuscany (even though wines made with 100% Sangiovese are,
>>> formally, IIRC, not allowed under the DOCG), and hopefully, more
>>> sustainable practices. Unfortunately, too often we here "respect for
>>> the traditions and for the land" repeated as a mantra while one is
>>> trying to hide the reverse osmosis kit and the industry sized packages
>>> of tartric acid ...
>>> Where do we go? Whom do we visit? WE are not adverse to conversing in
>>> broken Italian.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Nils

>> I suggest you to stay here
>> http://www.podereterreno.it/poderete...Home_page.html
>> and visit (and buy!) here in primis (100% sangiovese from ever)
>> http://www.montevertine.it/
>> then also
>> http://www.monteraponi.it/ and http://www.volpaia.it/sito/index.php

> I had told Nils in private how somehow I continue to find Montevertine
> very nice year after year.
> Did not know Monte Raponi. What's it like?

I forgot
http://www.laportadivertine.it/vini/...ssico-riserva/
very good and on the wave of natural wines.
They have in common the basic feature of every good Chianti, i.e. to
grow and ripe at a fairly high altitude, around 400-450 m A.M.S.L.

Luk

Posted to alt.food.wine
Luk Luk is offline

Il 30/08/2011 15.16, Luk ha scritto:

> [...]

By the way, if you decided to visit the Scansano area (thing that I
suggest because very beutiful and less crowded than the most famous
Montalcino ecc. ecc.) I recomend you to go eating at "La Cantina" and
ask for some OLD morellino botles (1996 is superb) they still produce.

Luk
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/30/11 9:30 AM, Luk wrote:

> By the way, if you decided to visit the Scansano area (thing that I
> suggest because very beutiful and less crowded than the most famous
> Montalcino ecc. ecc.) I recomend you to go eating at "La Cantina" and
> ask for some OLD morellino botles (1996 is superb) they still produce.

Luk,
Whose Morellino do you buy these days? Who are the
traditional/natural producers there?

TIA,
Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine
Luk Luk is offline

Il 30/08/2011 16.40, Mike Tommasi ha scritto:
> On 30/08/2011 16:31, Mark Lipton wrote:
>> On 8/30/11 9:30 AM, Luk wrote:
>>

>>> By the way, if you decided to visit the Scansano area (thing that I
>>> suggest because very beutiful and less crowded than the most famous
>>> Montalcino ecc. ecc.) I recomend you to go eating at "La Cantina" and
>>> ask for some OLD morellino botles (1996 is superb) they still produce.

>> Luk,
>> Whose Morellino do you buy these days? Who are the
>> traditional/natural producers there?

> Poggio Argentiera is really good.

Poggio Argentiera, yes, and Poggio al Toro (noticeable also their blanc
de noir sangiovese), and the morellino of La Cantina, mainly the few old
botles they still have.
Luk
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/30/11 10:49 AM, Luk wrote:

>> Poggio Argentiera is really good.

> Poggio Argentiera, yes, and Poggio al Toro (noticeable also their blanc
> de noir sangiovese), and the morellino of La Cantina, mainly the few old
> botles they still have.

Thanks, guys. I don't know if you saw it, but I recently posted about a
bottle of Az. Ag. Biologica i Botri di Ghiaccioforte Morellino from 2005
that I opened. How do they compare with the producers you've mentioned?

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine
Luk Luk is offline

Il 30/08/2011 18.08, Mark Lipton ha scritto:
> On 8/30/11 10:49 AM, Luk wrote:
>
>>> Poggio Argentiera is really good.

>> Poggio Argentiera, yes, and Poggio al Toro (noticeable also their blanc
>> de noir sangiovese), and the morellino of La Cantina, mainly the few old
>> botles they still have.

> Thanks, guys. I don't know if you saw it, but I recently posted about a
> bottle of Az. Ag. Biologica i Botri di Ghiaccioforte Morellino from 2005
> that I opened. How do they compare with the producers you've mentioned?
>
> Mark Lipton

I supposed you will mention I Botri. Imho good in some vintage, so and
so other times. Not very constant quality.
Luk
Posted to alt.food.wine

Does anybody know if it is worthwhile to visit Ricasoli, or has that
become a monument?
//Nils

Campocorto Chianti Classico imported to US? FITZ Wine 4 15-07-2014 08:12 PM
CHianti Classico NilsGLindgren Wine 5 06-11-2011 11:03 AM
2001 Fontodi Chianti Classico Bi!! Wine 2 10-01-2009 11:29 PM
TN: Chianti Classico and NZ SB DaleW Wine 0 06-10-2007 06:16 PM
Chianti Classico Tasting.. Great Chianti's and an AMAZING Vin Santo Wildetuinn Wine 0 15-09-2006 08:06 AM