Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Goodbye Matt offline with Bdx, Alsace, Chablis, etc

Matt and family are heading off for a 2 year adventure in New Zealand, so a group of Bordeaux group regulars gathered at La Fonda del Sol to see him off. Nice group, nice service, good food, though paella isn't maybe greatest for claret.

We started with some cured and potted meats, as well as tomato bread (there was also a scallop amuse). Three whites were circulating.

2002 Zind-Humbrecht Brand Riesling
Rich, opulent, apricot and baked apple with a little pepper and petrol. Big, well done, but first few sips are interesting, and then I'm done- too much. B

1989 Trimbach "Cuvee Frederic Emile" Riesling Vendange Tardive
As is usuall at Trimbach, VT doesn't mean dessert. Big, powerful, rich, fairly dry but with sweet fruit, tropical notes, great acid, very long. My WOTN. A-/A

2000 Raveneau "Vaillons" Chablis 1er
I liked more than some others, voting it my 3rd favorite of the night. Lemon/apple fruit, seashells, a light waxy note. This seems to be in a very good place, quite ready. A-

On to the reds.
Chris had a mystery wine, but he gave so many verbal clues no one really had to guess. The 1985 Cos d'Estournel really was lovely, and my favorite red of the night. The '85 elegance really shows through. Cassis, cigarbox, and a faint herby note. Mostly resolved tannins, balanced acid, long and lovely. A-

1996 Ducru-Beaucaillou
Rich, young, powerful. Deep creme de cassis fruit, big but ripe tannins, excellent length. There's just a touch of surmaturite that detracts for me, but nice wine. B+

As noted, paella isn't exactly ideal Bordeaux match. Excellent super briney little clams, good lobster and chorizo, though shrimp were a bit overcooked (as was rice- know should be crusty on bottom, but this was a bit dry on top).

1985 Leoville Barton
Again vintage shows, more elegant than Barton usually shows, though more foursquare than th eCos. Some tannin, leather and smoke over blackcurrant. B/B+

Nano had a blind wine. We (mostly) all agreed it wasn't Bordeaux, some black plum notes and cocoa let me to guess a more structured California Merlot. Bill wasn't far off with his 97 Calicab guess. 1996 Dominus B/B+

1982 Sociando-Mallet
This divided our end of the table, with me thinking it was a good and typical showing of this wine. Fruit, solid tannins, a meaty note, a not unpleasant herbal streak. B+/A-

1986 Talbot
I didn't think this was a good or typical showing of this. This has always been an easydrinking '86, but not here. This bottle showed both brett and VA. You expect a little Cordier funk in this,but this was more than that, coupled with the volatile thing. B-/C+

The 2003 Mordoree "Got a Lot of Points Cuvee" (sorry, never saw bottling, but a high end wine) Chateauneuf du Pape was sadly corked.

Some folks got dessert, others coffee, and we enjoyed a bottle of the 2003 Lafaurie Peyraguey. Huge, rich, apricots and orange peel, plenty of botrytis, long, thick. I'd like it to have a bit more acidic zip, but nice. B+

I think in group voting Trimbach was favorite white, Ducru favorite red. Good night, but we'll miss Matt.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.