Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 very good wines, both with just a hint of sugar (Loire, Saar)

Sunday we did blue snapper (aka Boston bluefish, actually a pollock) on grill, with radishleaf pesto on thin spaghetti, kohlrabi, and asparagus. Wine was the 2009 Lauer "Senior- Fass 6 " Ayler Kupp Riesling (Saar). A bit muted at first, opens nicely. Rich tropical/apple fruit with a creamy texture, but there's plenty of invigorating acidity here, wet stones, just a hint of RS. Excellent length. A-/B+

Tonight I had assorted leftover veggies, plus a squash frittata. Wine was a half bottle of the 2008 Chidaine "Les Argiles" Vouvray. Honied sweet fruit gives illusion of real sweetness at first, but while this isn't fully dry, it's not really sweet- more a sec-tendre. Ripe apple fruit with a waxy Chenin edge, light bodied but with full flavors, minerality, good length. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 8/2/11 9:32 AM, DaleW wrote:
> Sunday we did blue snapper (aka Boston bluefish, actually a pollock)
> on grill, with radishleaf pesto on thin spaghetti, kohlrabi, and
> asparagus. Wine was the 2009 Lauer "Senior- Fass 6 " Ayler Kupp
> Riesling (Saar). A bit muted at first, opens nicely. Rich
> tropical/apple fruit with a creamy texture, but there's plenty of
> invigorating acidity here, wet stones, just a hint of RS. Excellent
> length. A-/B+
>
> Tonight I had assorted leftover veggies, plus a squash frittata.
> Wine was a half bottle of the 2008 Chidaine "Les Argiles" Vouvray.
> Honied sweet fruit gives illusion of real sweetness at first, but
> while this isn't fully dry, it's not really sweet- more a sec-tendre.
> Ripe apple fruit with a waxy Chenin edge, light bodied but with full
> flavors, minerality, good length. B+/A-

Two lovely wines, Dale. I love the '09 German Rieslings I've had and
'08 demi-sec and sec-tendres from the Loire also hit my "sweet spot"
(not to mention Chidaine). I haven't had the "Les Argiles" since the
'05 but it sounds like he's only getting better wines out of his Vouvray
sites. I'll be getting in some of the "Le Bouchet" when shipping season
starts again, so we'll see.

Mark Lipton