Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: cold wines on a warm evening

Yesterday was a scorcher in NY (and will be even hotter today and
tomorrow), but humidity wasn't bad yesterday and with a moderate
breeze it felt fine in the shade by river. I arrived early as the
ensemble from a jazz camp friends were running were the opening act,
and stayed way after the main act (Freddie Bryant Quartet) finished. I
had carried shrimp salad and Morbier, also sampled others' garlic
sausage, cheeses (including a great Tomme de Savoie), octopus salad,
tortellini. And of course many wines were tasted:

Bubbly
NV Sebastien Brunet Vouvray
A touch off-dry, apple fruit and honey, light yeasty notes, quite
pleasant. B

White
2010 Darting Durkheimer Hochbenn Riesling Kabinett
Fairly sweet, moderate acids, this seems a bit dull for some reason, I
usually like this bottling but don't think this is a buy again. Quite
drinkable, but too many other Rieslings I prefer. B-

2009 Martinsancho Verdejo
Nice balance of ripe tropical fruit and moderate acidity, clean, good
with shrimp if not exciting. B/B-

Pink
2010 Chermette (Vissoux) "les Griottes" Beaujolais rose
Tasty, fresh, and fun. Cherries, peach blossoms, a little earth. B+

2010 Jaboulet Parallele 45 Cotes du Rhone rose
Candied fruit, short, a bit flat. Maybe I would have liked better if
it didn't follow the Vissoux. C+

2010 Enanzo Rose (Navarra)
For Grenache/Granacha this has good acidity. Full, red plum fruit,
heartier style of rose that maybe would benefit from some meat, but ok
as a sipper. Well-priced ($8). B-/B

Red
2009 Guion "Domaine" Bourgueil
This is really showing well. The usual Guion zippiness is here,but
matched with richer/riper fruit than normal. I always like this, but
some others are typically turned off by the green pepper accents, but
that's really minimal in the 2009 and I think this would be more
widely popular. B+

2005 Chateau de Roquefort "les Mures" (Cotes de Provence)
Herbal, slightly jammy fruit, seems a bit tired to me, others like
more. B-

Fun night.
*

cold or warm [homemade] Cheesecake? marco General Cooking 24 07-03-2012 01:24 AM
Can cold wine go warm? Andrew Wine 24 21-02-2007 01:58 AM
TN: Cooling Down -- Warm Wines After a Hot Show Jim Wine 3 02-10-2005 12:15 PM
TN: Wines on a warm Sunday DaleW Wine 4 14-06-2005 08:48 PM