Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.music,alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking

Default wine songs

What are some songs that mention wine?

Sarah McLachlan is playing gigs at wineries tonight,
Tuesday and Wednesday (details on http://www.sarahmclachlan.com/ ).

I wonder will she do Ol' 55, about which she said copious
quantities of red wine were consumed during the recording?

--
David Dalton http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.html Newfoundland&Labrador Travel & Music
Posted to alt.food.wine

"David Dalton" > wrote in message
| What are some songs that mention wine?
|
| Sarah McLachlan is playing gigs at wineries tonight,
| Tuesday and Wednesday (details on http://www.sarahmclachlan.com/ ).
|
| I wonder will she do Ol' 55, about which she said copious
| quantities of red wine were consumed during the recording?

There is always To Anachreon in Heaven (The Star-Spangled
Banner) ...
http://www.burbler.com/unknown-to-an...en-lyrics.html

Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.music,alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 17, 3:52*pm, David Dalton > wrote:
> What are some songs that mention wine?
>
> Sarah McLachlan is playing gigs at wineries tonight,
> Tuesday and Wednesday (details onhttp://www.sarahmclachlan.com/).
>
> I wonder will she do Ol' 55, about which she said copious
> quantities of red wine were consumed during the recording?
>
> --
> David Dalton *http://www.nfld.com/~dalton(home page)http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.htmlN...dland&Labrador Travel & Musichttp://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.htmlSalmon on the Thorns (mystic page)
> * *"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)

Well there is always Red Red wine by Neil Diamond.
Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.music,alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 17, 5:52*pm, David Dalton > wrote:
> What are some songs that mention wine?
>
> Sarah McLachlan is playing gigs at wineries tonight,
> Tuesday and Wednesday (details onhttp://www.sarahmclachlan.com/).
>
> I wonder will she do Ol' 55, about which she said copious
> quantities of red wine were consumed during the recording?
>
> --
> David Dalton *http://www.nfld.com/~dalton(home page)http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.htmlN...dland&Labrador Travel & Musichttp://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.htmlSalmon on the Thorns (mystic page)
> * *"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)

Didn't know there was a wine reference in Ol' 55...Tom Waits
"Drinkin' WIne Spodeeodee Drinkin' Wine"...Jerry Lee Lewis
"Willin'"....Lowell George
"Scenes From an Italian Restaurant"....Billy Joel
"Midnight Choir".....Larry Gatlin
"Bottle of WIne, Fruit of the Vine"....Tom Paxton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"lleichtman" > wrote in message
On Jul 17, 3:52 pm, David Dalton > wrote:
>> What are some songs that mention wine?
>>
>> Sarah McLachlan is playing gigs at wineries tonight,
>> Tuesday and Wednesday (details onhttp://www.sarahmclachlan.com/).
>>
>> I wonder will she do Ol' 55, about which she said copious
>> quantities of red wine were consumed during the recording?
>>

> --
> David Dalton http://www.nfld.com/~dalton(home
> page)http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.htmlN...dland&Labrador Travel &
> Musichttp://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.htmlSalmon on the Thorns (mystic
> page)
>> "Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)

> Well there is always Red Red wine by Neil Diamond.

And of course, Dino Martino's "Lil ole wine drinker me!"

Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.music,alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking

On 7/18/2011 2:14 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> On Jul 17, 5:52 pm, David > wrote:
>> What are some songs that mention wine?
>>
>> Sarah McLachlan is playing gigs at wineries tonight,
>> Tuesday and Wednesday (details onhttp://www.sarahmclachlan.com/).
>>
>> I wonder will she do Ol' 55, about which she said copious
>> quantities of red wine were consumed during the recording?
>>
>> --
>> David Dalton http://www.nfld.com/~dalton(home page)http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.htmlN...dland&Labrador Travel& Musichttp://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.htmlSalmon on the Thorns (mystic page)
>> "Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)

> Didn't know there was a wine reference in Ol' 55...Tom Waits
> "Drinkin' WIne Spodeeodee Drinkin' Wine"...Jerry Lee Lewis
> "Willin'"....Lowell George
> "Scenes From an Italian Restaurant"....Billy Joel
> "Midnight Choir".....Larry Gatlin
> "Bottle of WIne, Fruit of the Vine"....Tom Paxton

I think the original "Drinkin' Wine Spo-de-o-de" is attributed to Sticks
McGhee way back in the late 1940s, although many other artists
have performed it since then.
And then there's "Crackling Rosie (Rose)" by Neil Diamond.
I'm sure there are many more.

Dick
Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.music,alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking

In article
"Bi!!" > wrote:

> On Jul 17, 5:52*pm, David Dalton > wrote:
> > What are some songs that mention wine?
> >
> > Sarah McLachlan is playing gigs at wineries tonight,
> > Tuesday and Wednesday (details onhttp://www.sarahmclachlan.com/).
> >
> > I wonder will she do Ol' 55, about which she said copious
> > quantities of red wine were consumed during the recording?

> Didn't know there was a wine reference in Ol' 55...Tom Waits

I don't think there is, but she and her band drank a lot
of wine the night they recorded it for her Freedom Sessions EP.

--
David Dalton http://www.nfld.com/~dalton (home page)
http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.html Newfoundland&Labrador Travel & Music
"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)
Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.food.wine

#6 hit from Google:

http://www.intowine.com/wine-songs-all-time-top-30

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.food.wine

On 7/18/2011 6:36 PM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> #6 hit from Google:
>
> http://www.intowine.com/wine-songs-all-time-top-30
>
> Mark Lipton

Wasn't there a Country Western song with the refrain "Kisses sweeter
than wine"? I often wondered about the sort of wines the singer
preferred; Thunderbird maybe?

--

James Silverton, Potomac

I'm *not*
Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.food.wine

On 7/18/2011 9:59 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 7/18/2011 6:36 PM, Mark Lipton wrote:
>> #6 hit from Google:
>>
>> http://www.intowine.com/wine-songs-all-time-top-30
>>
>> Mark Lipton
>>

> Wasn't there a Country Western song with the refrain "Kisses sweeter
> than wine"? I often wondered about the sort of wines the singer
> preferred; Thunderbird maybe?

James,
Yes, "Kisses Sweeter than Wine" was recorded by Jimmie Rodgers in the
late 1950s. Back in those days "Country" songs sometimes ended up on
the "Pop" charts. I don't know what they were drinking, but according to
the song, they had lots of kids and grandkids.

BTW: Mark, thanks for the intowine.com link

Dick

Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.food.wine

On Jul 18, 5:36*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> #6 hit from Google:
>
> http://www.intowine.com/wine-songs-all-time-top-30
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Classical music, especially Opera, has a huge number of drinking
songs. Verdi's Falstaff sang about sack (sherry), although I suspect
he would have liked anything of quality with alcohol in it. The faq
link of our group at http://winefaq.cwdjr.net takes you to the main
page. At the very bottom of the page click on "Slide Show" that is in
a large Gothic font. Select one of 4 types of audio, such as SWF. The
aria is sung by Ernestine Schumann-Heink, a contralto who spent her
early years in her native Austria, but spent her old age in the US.
She may be the greatest contralto ever recorded, in my opinion The
drinking song she sings is from Donizetti's Lucrezia Borgia and is
sung in German and titled "Trinklied" in German. It is an acoustic
recording over 100 years old and was recorded in 1909. Lucrezia Borgia
is not performed much anymore, partly because some of the arias are so
extremely difficult to sing. The libretto likely is not exactly in
line with the real Borgia history. Lucrezia has some of her infamous
poisoned wine served to some guests. However, her own son drinks some
of it by mistake. I am not certain that this happened in real life,
but it makes the opera a great tragedy in a style popular when
Donizetti wrote it.

There is a Blu-ray recording of Richard Strauss' Salome by the Royal
Opera. Instead of being set in ancient times as intended, it is set in
a German Castle in the WWII era. It includes full nudity by some woman
and full frontal nudity by the man who brings the severed head of John
to Salome as she demanded. I guess the man did not want to ruin his
clothes when he severed the head of John. She is offered jewels,
peacocks, and a costly wine to drink with Herod, but nothing will
satisfy her but to kiss the lips of John's severed head. I wonder if
the Queen saw this version of Salome at the Royal Opera and what she
thought, if she did? This style of re-casting an opera to recent times
with sometimes little connection to the original has been fairly
common in Europe, and many of the operas of Wagner have been so
butchered, for example. Many call this style "Euro Trash".

Posted to alt.food.wine

And there is always "Chevaliers de la Table Ronde"

http://www.frmusique.ru/texts/d/daig...tableronde.htm

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.food.wine

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 22:49:26 -0500, Dickr > wrote:

> On 7/18/2011 9:59 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> > On 7/18/2011 6:36 PM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> >> #6 hit from Google:
> >>
> >> http://www.intowine.com/wine-songs-all-time-top-30
> >>
> >> Mark Lipton
> >>

> > Wasn't there a Country Western song with the refrain "Kisses sweeter
> > than wine"? I often wondered about the sort of wines the singer
> > preferred; Thunderbird maybe?
> >

> James,
> Yes, "Kisses Sweeter than Wine" was recorded by Jimmie Rodgers in the
> late 1950s. Back in those days "Country" songs sometimes ended up on
> the "Pop" charts. I don't know what they were drinking, but according to
> the song, they had lots of kids and grandkids.

It's way older than that. It's not really Country and Western, but was
written by the Weavers in 1950, based on a Leadbelly tune.

Ken

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.music,alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking

On Jul 17, 4:52*pm, David Dalton > wrote:
> What are some songs that mention wine?
>
> Sarah McLachlan is playing gigs at wineries tonight,
> Tuesday and Wednesday (details onhttp://www.sarahmclachlan.com/).
>
> I wonder will she do Ol' 55, about which she said copious
> quantities of red wine were consumed during the recording?
>
> --
> David Dalton *http://www.nfld.com/~dalton(home page)http://www.nfld.com/~dalton/nf.htmlN...dland&Labrador Travel & Musichttp://www.nfld.com/~dalton/dtales.htmlSalmon on the Thorns (mystic page)
> * *"Here I go again...back into the flame" (Sarah McLachlan)

Jack Keller posted quite comprehensive lists of such songs in his
Wineblog in Feb. and March 2009
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/wineblog13.asp
Posted to alt.music.s-mclachlan,rec.music.misc,alt.music,alt.food.wine,rec.crafts.winemaking

On 17/07/2011 23:52, David Dalton wrote:
> What are some songs that mention wine?
>
> Sarah McLachlan is playing gigs at wineries tonight,
> Tuesday and Wednesday (details on http://www.sarahmclachlan.com/ ).
>
> I wonder will she do Ol' 55, about which she said copious
> quantities of red wine were consumed during the recording?

Back in 2000, Al Stewart (famous for "year of the cat") released a CD
called "down in the cellar") with about a dozen tracks about wine,
ranging from "waiting for margaux" to "the shiraz shuffle". Not sure if
the album is still available though...

Regards

Yves

wine songs Yves Winemaking 0 29-07-2011 04:06 PM
wine songs DaleW Wine 2 19-07-2011 06:30 AM
the must beautiful 30 songs...ever lnpworld General Cooking 0 09-01-2008 09:10 PM
Songs of their Day Andy[_2_] General Cooking 58 13-08-2007 09:02 AM
Songs of their Day Andy[_2_] General Cooking 6 11-08-2007 12:12 AM