Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WTN: Wines at river, home, and Telepan

Betsy was swamped Wed, decided she was too busy to go to concert, so we had a quick dinner of a grilled shrimp/corn/avocado salad together before I headed to river where the Song Project was doing jazz interpretations of songs from a variety of genres. A hot day, but the breeze from river made it cool, and we enjoyed some wine:

f2007 Christian Moreau "Le Clos" Chablis GC
Again, quite impressed with this, minerally and fresh but with power and verve. B+/A-

2010 Baudry Chinon Rose
Light, lovely, lithe. About all I could ask for in a rose. A-/B+

2008 LeClerc "La Mule"
Fred blinded me on this, knowing him I guessed Loire, there's a piney note, but not "geranium" so I almost opt for pineau d'aunis, but then stick with gamay, He says correct. Nothing on label re cepage/site. Light and a little prickly at first, puts on weight with air, not bad. B/B-

Betsy was leading a friend in a meditation retreat, so I was very quiet when I opened the 2010 Donnhoff Riesling QbA to accompany a cold meal- recent NYT recipe for Chicken a la Chinois, over soda noodles. This comes across as drier than most vintages, I assume that is merely a function of the vivacious acidity. Just a hint of sugar, apple and white nectarine, grapefruit, slate. Very good vintage of this perennial winner. B+

Betsy had a tax appt. Fri, I drove in to pick her up, then we went to Upper West side for dinner at Telepan. The monsoon let up for a moment as we parked and dashed in. We decided to go with the 4 course menu, with one pairing (me) and one glass (her). The single glass was 2009 Tramin Lagrein. Low to medium acidity, dark color but not very heavy, dark fruit with spice. Not bad. B/B-

Betsy's appetizer was quail wth prosciutto, I started with an egg, bacon*& radish dish that I liked, and they paired with the 2010 Escudero ‘Fuente Milano’ Rueda. Very grassy, like slightly underripe SB, but crispness makes it food friendly, it's OK with dish. B-

Pasta course- Betsy got peekytoe crab linguni, and I got what was my favorite dish of the night, nettle and lamb's quarter raviolo with fried sage butter (waiter made sure I knew this wasn't lamb!). Match was the 2009 Mercouri ‘Foloi’ (Peleponnisos, Greece). This was fun, a new grape for me (Roditis), crisp, floral, good length. B

Betsy then got hanger steak, with greens and green garlic salsa verde, I went with striped bass with green tomato and potato gratin, that was paired with the 2009 ‘Alios’ , a Grenache Blanc and Roussanne blend. I'm not a big white Rhone varieties fan, but this was good- bulky, a little oily, but with decent acidity and nice depth of flavors, stood up well to the strong flavors. B

Betsy got a dessert (doughnuts/beignets with strawberries and an anise syrup, I got cheese (all American, all tasty- from VT, NY, WI, and OR). Wine pairing was a dessert wine from Cyprus, a Commandaria where I missed producer.. OK, thick, tawny, caramelly, a bit like a basic Madeira. B-/C+

Overall, food was very good. Only the ravioli was a wow, but everything was tasty. Service had a a few balks and slow periods, but was mostly good (the sommelier gave nice little explanations). I'd probably go back if I needed a place in neighborhood, but not searching for another opportunity. I wouldn't order pairings again (I know many people don't like, but I like to see what sommelier would do). All of the choices were ok to good as far as matches, but overall value wasn't great (the dinner wines were $10, $11, and $12 respectively, as pairing was $46 means the 2 ounce (at most) pour of Cypriot dessert wine cost me $13.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 14:35:05 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

> Betsy was leading a friend in a meditation retreat, so I was very quiet when I opened the 2010 Donnhoff Riesling QbA to accompany a cold meal- recent NYT recipe for Chicken a la Chinois, over soda noodles. This comes across as drier than most vintages, I assume that is merely a function of the vivacious acidity. Just a hint of sugar, apple and white nectarine, grapefruit, slate. Very good vintage of this perennial winner. B+

Leaving the wine aside for the moment, I was planning on making that
recipe on Monday. How did you like it?

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 19:07:26 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

> I liked enough to say "put in file" (as opposed to "good enough, but not sure you need to do again"). She liked because one can do almost all in advance. She already does a similar recipe, but warm - poached chicken shredded and topped with warm sssame/scallion mix.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

--
Ken Blake
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 09 Jul 2011 19:38:26 -0700, Ken Blake >
wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 19:07:26 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
> wrote:
>
> > I liked enough to say "put in file" (as opposed to "good enough, but not sure you need to do again"). She liked because one can do almost all in advance. She already does a similar recipe, but warm - poached chicken shredded and topped with warm sssame/scallion mix.

> Thanks. I'll give it a try.

I made it last night, and we both liked it a lot. I'm sure I'll do it
again.

We also thought it went well with the California Pinot Grigio we had
with it (an inexpensive, nothing-special bottle; sorry, I don't
remember the name or the vintage, and the bottle's now gone).

--
Ken Blake