Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Dolcetto, Burg, Minervois, etc

Thursday with bbq chicken, squash, and slaw, the 2010 Ch. d'Oupia Minervois
Rose. This is fleshier than the Baudry that is my fave pink of the summer,
but variety rules, and this is good enough to get more. Sweet red fruits,
a touch of herbs, more fruit than mineral, nice change of pace. B+

Friday Betsy, her sister, niece, and mother drove back from Montreal, Canada
Day and 2.5 hour border wait made for a late dinner. When they arrived I had
in on table within minutes: grilled artic char, corn, and a sesame/cumin
broccoli salad, Wine was the 2007 Sauzet Chassagne-Montrachet. Lemon and
comice pear, quite minerally, a hint of hazelnut (oak I assume). Lovely,
full, fine. B+/A-

Saturday we went to Briarcliff/Scarborough for dinner with friends. Started
with pita chips with a salmon dip, hummus, and an herbed cheese, then a
Thai-ish chicken/noodle dish, salad, and ending with fruit and a cheese
plate (all 4 cheeses from a "live food" vendor, with probiotics- tasted
pretty good for healthy).

NV Castellroig Brut
Clean, crisp, fine mousse, good value. B

2009 Sterling Sauvignon Blanc
served on the patio, I didn't see bottle at time but it was pretty clearly
ripe SB. Tropical with a little note of gooseberry, no obvious oak, could
use a bit more acidic zip, but ok. B-

2008 Pasquale Pelissero "Cascina Croce" Dolcetto d'Alba
Some tannins, low acidity, fruit forward with a grapey edge, clean but I'm
just not a big Dolcetto drinker. B-/C+

2007 Besson Dupree Vacqueyras
Tannic, jammy, overripe, another 2007 Rhone that is just too too much for me. C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

TN: Dolcetto from 2008 DaleW Wine 2 12-01-2010 11:58 AM
TN: MSR, Minervois, Arneis DaleW Wine 0 18-03-2007 01:41 AM
Dolcetto Juice Source [email protected] Winemaking 1 27-12-2006 02:17 AM
TN: Minervois and red Muscadet DaleW Wine 2 19-11-2006 10:40 PM
Dolcetto and Barbera Italian Wine Wine 2 10-10-2005 10:29 PM